What's your favorite gun and why?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What's your favorite gun and why?

Post by Gun-nut » 21 Sep 2016, 1:07 am

Let's start some conversation...what's your favorite firearm and why? What do you use it for? (hunting, target shooting etc.) It's a broad topic but who doesn't like talking about (or showing off) their toys? My personal favorite is the no.5 Enfield, great handy little rifle that i enjoy hunting with. So what's yours?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: What's your favorite gun and why?

Post by AusTac » 21 Sep 2016, 6:16 am

Mine would have to be a enfield no.4, i love the simple action/design, i can work on it, 10 round mag, good sights, tough as nails looks bad arse and i can stick a big ole' spike on the end

Things i don't like about them,

All of mine are broken in their own way ( they all still work )

They don't feel all that great on the shoulder

Parts are becoming an issue

The unique bedding of the wood stocks is a pain in the arse
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by HitAndMiss » 21 Sep 2016, 7:17 am

Hi all. Long time reader first time poster. At this stage it would have to be my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 carbine. I'm really enjoying the express sights and that little 30 cal. I just wish we could get the cheap ammo here.
HitAndMiss
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 21 Sep 2016, 7:22 am

My Sportco 22lr. Why? Because it's a great little Australian made rifle and I've had fun fixing it up a bit. Probably not worth the dollar I have spent on it but it's a great little shooter.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Sep 2016, 7:43 am

I like my 250 Howa, I love the boooom and resulting thump down the business end. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Sep 2016, 8:25 am

I'm finding it increasingly hard to choose a favorite.
If I could only have One I'd probably keep the side by side 20" purely because it's the most versatile.

Lately my Rem 700 .223 is getting an absolute flogging . That would be my favorite at the moment.
Mainly roos, a few rabbits the occasional fox.
It's just so cheap to run, nice to shoot and gives ethical kills by popping heads perfectly.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trumpychris » 21 Sep 2016, 10:18 am

I'm going to answer this in 3 parts. My favourite handgun is my Ruger SR1911 in .45acp. Why? Its a timeless design, they function beautifully, easy and relatively cheap to load for and bloody accurate! Use it for metallic silhouette.

Favourite rifle would be my Mini 14. Why? Well its got a 30 round mag and a forward mounted Leupold FX 2.5 scout scope and I use it to train farmers and professional pest controllers.

Favourite black powder gun is my PH 1861 Enfield Musketoon. Why? Its a beautiful rifle in .58cal. No more needs to be said! I use it for blowing up watermelons, 20 litre drums full of water and putting effin huge holes in things. :)
President - Law Abiding Firearm Owners Inc. - lafo.com.au

Guns = Way too many to list
Favourite Rifle = Parker Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon .577
Favourite Handgun = Ruger SR1911 .45acp
trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 21 Sep 2016, 11:12 am

This is a funny question i always find I like the one in my hand the best at that time .( happiness is a warm gun )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 21 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4718 times
My fave at the moment is my 145 year old .50-70 Swedish rolling block with it's 36 inch barrel. In spite of it having rifling so absurdly deep that the bullet is actually swaged hexagonal, It shoot a 2.3 group off a bench at 100 yards and put 7/10 shots in a 6 inch circle at 200 yards off cross sticks. These old black powder rifles are so much fun! :D
Last edited by Noisydad on 21 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 2:08 pm

I've got to say that currently my favourite gun is my Rossi 92 44 magnum. Its light,handy,reasonably accurate for what it is,quick to reload,and has ample firepower. The 44 magnum round is great,I can either shoot really cheap,reasonably quiet lead reloads , or I can stoke it up to the point that I'd nearly be confident of taking out a Sambar.
What it isn't. It's not a sniper rifle. Its not really any good over 100m. And it probably never will be. But that's not what its for.
If I may have a second gun it would be my Grundman for sheer sentimentality, and because it's a black powder,muzzle loading gun that technically I could use to kill anything in Australia provided I can get close enough. And that's cool
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Sep 2016, 5:27 pm

HitAndMiss wrote:Hi all. Long time reader first time poster. At this stage it would have to be my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 carbine. I'm really enjoying the express sights and that little 30 cal. I just wish we could get the cheap ammo here.

Love the name, I mostly miss. :unknown: :welcome:

Mine would be the model 2 brno, 22LR, good ol reliable. But the Marlin 223 is right up its arse. :thumbsup: Always use a condom but. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 21 Sep 2016, 5:37 pm

My Canadian Longbranch No.4 mk.1, or either the P14/M1917, full wood or sporterised.

Can't beat 303 or 3006.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 5:52 pm

HitAndMiss wrote:Hi all. Long time reader first time poster. At this stage it would have to be my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 carbine. I'm really enjoying the express sights and that little 30 cal. I just wish we could get the cheap ammo here.

I wouldn't mind one of these. What's it like ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 21 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm

mine is my h&r handi rifle in 22 hornet then my m96 mauser ideal calibers for nz
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 6:56 pm

bentaz wrote:My Greener GP would probably be my favorite if i had to choose, mostly based aroud the fun i anticipate I'll have once the rifled barrel goes on.

'Urry up then ! :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 21 Sep 2016, 6:58 pm

Whichever is in my hands at the time, although the my PB409 is up there for sentimental value.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Mitch » 21 Sep 2016, 7:08 pm

In order:

Remmy 700 in 300BLK
Tikka 223
Tikka 223
Weatherby 7mm-08
Marlin 44 mag - yet to fire
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 21 Sep 2016, 7:12 pm

Happy to see I'm not the only Rem 700 shooter here :)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by HitAndMiss » 21 Sep 2016, 8:44 pm

bigpete wrote:

I wouldn't mind one of these. What's it like ?

I really like it. I bought it to take the old man out chasing pigs but so far I'm the only user. It's short and light like carrying my .22 but hits pretty well for an intermediate round. I'd suggest less wack than my 30-30 but more than the 223 at sensible ranges. Acquiring the target is fast with the iron sights, it cycles quickly and it point very easily. The only thing I don't love is the detachable box magazine. It can be a little tight getting the forth and fifth rounds in there.
HitAndMiss
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 21 Sep 2016, 9:05 pm

My H&R single barrel 12 Gauge, light, kicks a fair bit, no safety just cock the hammer and pull the trigger.
Used for hunting and when the 12 gauge wont reach well there's always the rifle i can use.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 21 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm

This topic's been done a few times and my preference hasn't changed, I love my Sako 22-250, I'm in lust with my MkV Accumark 257Wby and cheat on them both with whatever pretty thing takes my eye when opening the safe. Realistically my favourite is whatever's in my hand at the time, sluggy to 50 are all fun then add in the pistols to top it off.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 23 Sep 2016, 6:26 am

Model 92 Winchester 45 Colt.
No particular reason,It just happens to be the one I'm having the most fun with at the moment!!!
It will probably change in a month or so,Share the love around and all!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SteamedHam » 23 Sep 2016, 12:35 pm

Mine has to be my CZ455 in 22lr. It's so damn accurate, I can't recommend it to others enough.

Second place is tied with the good old Adler - It's just fun to shoot, and the Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 with Aimpoint Micro H2. Obviously a bit limited at range, but very good for it's intended use.

They are all my favourite, screw it.
SteamedHam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 23 Sep 2016, 5:16 pm

Browning B92 in 44 mag or my Contender in 22 hornet, however my Smith and Wesson 629 always puts a smile on my face and it goes well with the 92
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 Sep 2016, 12:51 am

Every gun I've got, I've gotten for a reason. Each one fills a niche in my safe as well as my heart/consciousness. The heart is the inherited guns those I got from my Grandfather and my Father, some I hold more dear than others. Of the other guns it depends upon my mindset and what I'm wanting to do. If I'm out to burn through a lot of ammunition it's going to be one of the 22 semiautomatics, rifles or pistols here I would say the Marlin Model 60 or Colt(Walther) 22-45, although one of the other repeaters may find its way to the range. If I'm after tight groups it will still be a rimfire but one of the bolt guns instead, right now I'll say the CZ 455 American. Centerfire rifle would the M-1 Garand for the semiauto and the Enfield No4Mk1 for the bolt gun, but I do shoot the Mosin-Nagant M91/30 more, cheaper ammo. Shotgun is going to be the Browning A-5, pump gun the Remington 870 and the Stevens 311 for the break action/double barrel. Handgun is the 6 inch barreled Colt Python then a Ruger Single Six revolver and would have the 1911s in there for a close third.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Boo » 24 Sep 2016, 12:58 pm

The last gun I owned was crunched by Those Who Know Best, a Ruger 44 Magnum semi auto rifle bought for pig hunting. Taking up hand gun target shooting now so soon I will have something warm and inviting in my hand.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 26 Sep 2016, 5:45 pm

Mine is a Winchester, of course !

It's a Winchester 501 Grand European shotgun ...
Configured perfectly to crush clay targets. ( 30" barrels, Briley thin wall chokes, English / straight grip )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 27 Sep 2016, 5:39 pm

My Savage .223 Rem Mod 14/114 All American Classic...why?..itś the only gun I own........
Attachments
My .223 R Savage Model 14 1in 9 twist.JPG
My .223 R Savage Model 14 1in 9 twist.JPG (77.39 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
Last edited by deadkitty on 11 Oct 2016, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 27 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm

What if I can't decide? Just sitting here, in a dimly lit room, rubbing my ladies down with oil and lubricants... I love them all.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 Sep 2016, 7:42 am

juststarting wrote:What if I can't decide? Just sitting here, in a dimly lit room, rubbing my ladies down with oil and lubricants... I love them all.

This might be why the Greens are afraid!!! :lol: :lol: :huh:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles