What's The Big Fuss About Adler's?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What's The Big Fuss About Adler's?

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

OK I'll start of by saying I'm not having a go at Adler owners,and,I'm probably preaching to the converted.
Today I went to the LGS to buy some powder and while there I asked if I could have a gander at the Adler they had there. Originally I wasn't fussed about them,but recently I've been thinking that one of the newer lever action shotguns might be a handy thing. Plus,with all the hype,both pro and anti gun,I thought the least I could do is have a look.
To say I was unimpressed would not be an overstatement. Admittedly the one I looked at was one of the original batch,black,synthetic,with a tactical rail on the fore end so aesthetically not my type to begin with. But when I handled it all I could think is ; how the hell can anyone compare this to a semiautomatic or even a pump action in regards to speed of reloading ? I know the lever and action would smooth up with use,but it was seriously clunky and stiff and just awkward to use. Far more so than the IAC 87 I sold off earlier this year to buy my Hawken. The position of the safety sucks too,and it really didn't point that well,at least for me. The whole lever assembly seemed really flimsy too.
On the whole I was really unimpressed,but more so I was confused how anyone who actually had tried one could possibly compare it to the already restricted pump and semiauto shotguns.
While I was at it I also looked at an Akkar triple barrel and a Baikal hammered coach gun. The Akkar was quite heavy,but actually balanced and pointed really well for me. The Baikal,well,it was awesome ! Barrels just dropped open readily, pointed well,had screw in chokes,auto safety,GREAT wood stock,nice and light,and fitted already for a sling. Bad points were the lack of any sort of recoil pad,and having hammers AND an auto safety was a pain in the arse. Honestly,I will buy one one day without the hammers ,I liked it that much. :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: What's The Big Fuss About Adler's?

Post by TheDude » 21 Sep 2016, 2:48 pm

It's not gun owners who are comparing them to pumps and semis.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 21 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

The fuss is mostly due to having a shotgun with more than 2 shots readily available which before 1996 meant pumps and semis, and after 1996 meant cheap lever action shottys that were unreliable. Now for a cheap price people can own a shotgun with a capacity of over 2 rounds in a lever action shotgun that is more reliable than the old IACs (for the most part).
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 3:35 pm

TheDude wrote:It's not gun owners who are comparing them to pumps and semis.

That's my point
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 3:38 pm

Gun-nut wrote:The fuss is mostly due to having a shotgun with more than 2 shots readily available which before 1996 meant pumps and semis, and after 1996 meant cheap lever action shottys that were unreliable. Now for a cheap price people can own a shotgun with a capacity of over 2 rounds in a lever action shotgun that is more reliable than the old IACs (for the most part).

I may have been lucky with my IAC as it ran pretty smoothly after some early hiccups. But I've seriously seen a bloke use an old single with ejectors that really could nearly keep up with a pump shotgun
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Sep 2016, 4:16 pm

The adler dose leave a little to be desired in some respects.

When keeping in mind it's cheap price it's still good value for money.

I'm quite happy with mine and find it relatively easy to cycle considering it's extracting and reloading a 3" shell all within 2 x 90 deg movements of a short lever.

I like the fact that it's very light and doesn't look like it's been designed by a 12 year old back in1820.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 21 Sep 2016, 4:19 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
I like the fact that it's very light and doesn't look like it's been designed by a 12 year old back in1820.

:lol: :clap:

Are the Pardus any better close up, for fit/finish/function???

Waiting for the outcome to the NFA review before getting a shottie because i think a reliable lever gun would be handy but don't want to shell out for something that may get re-classified shortly.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 4:52 pm

I've heard that the Pardus has a shorter throw and is a bit smoother. I must admit I'd like one of the new lever actions but I don't think I'd like the Adler. I must admit I like the idea of fitting a rifled choke and a 5 shot extension tube and shooting .725 RB out of it. 10 shot 72 cal lever action ? AWESOME !!!!! :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Browning » 21 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

I own an Adler and gotta say I love it.
It's build quality is ******, it's clunky and aesthetically, prettty ordinary to look at.
HOWEVER, for a knock around scrub gun that gets dusty, rained on, scraped, bashed and rattled to death on a quad bike, it just keeps going.
The action has smoothed up very nicely, (was never that bad to be honest), shoots a nice tight group, is easy to walk around with, and for me, finally I can keep up with some mates of mine who have their cat c and own pumpy shotties...
Mine is really only for pigs and having 5 (6 if ya cycle one to start with) is bloody awesome when you come across a mob.
At $850 and a 5 year warranty, what's not to like....
Like the OP I tried a Pardus as well, and it was absolute ******! The short throw feels terrible and my LGS reckons of the 12 they had in stock, 11 of them have come back with probs...
I know the Adler ain't everyone's cup of tea, but as tool for what I do, it's perfect!
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 21 Sep 2016, 6:53 pm

Beggars can't be choosers, and aussie gun owners are beggers when it comes to what's available. Yep, the Adler is a piece of crap but it's capable of more than two shots and probably slightly faster to cycle than a bolt shotgun.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigpete » 21 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

You can seriously cycle it as fast as a pump action ? The one I tried was no way near as fast as that,albeit it was brand new.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 21 Sep 2016, 7:01 pm

happyhunter wrote:Beggars can't be choosers, and aussie gun owners are beggers when it comes to what's available. Yep, the Adler is a piece of crap but it's capable of more than two shots and probably slightly faster to cycle than a bolt shotgun.

There's something about bolt shotties that just seems plain weird to me...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Sep 2016, 7:03 pm

Gwion wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Beggars can't be choosers, and aussie gun owners are beggers when it comes to what's available. Yep, the Adler is a piece of crap but it's capable of more than two shots and probably slightly faster to cycle than a bolt shotgun.

There's something about bolt shotties that just seems plain weird to me...

I never liked bolt shotguns until having a go of the Browning Abolt. Nice 12g slug gun is on the cards.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 21 Sep 2016, 7:04 pm

How many rounds do the A-bolts take?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Sep 2016, 7:19 pm

Gwion wrote:How many rounds do the A-bolts take?

2+1 up the spout . I've got a couple abolt stailnless stalker rifles, one in 308 and the other in 375H&H and like them a lot so thinking a slug gun would fit nicely in the slot between them :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

If the Adler goes class C I'll definitely replace it with a bolt action 30" 12 gauge with a rifled barrel if I can get one.

Just as long as it's a new technology, rapid fire game changing model :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 22 Sep 2016, 2:36 am

If they make levers Cat C or D then get an Akkar triple and rig up a clipped ring for the shells similar to the moonclips used on revolvers. Speed test reloads then :twisted: :twisted:
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 22 Sep 2016, 2:12 pm

I love my Adler! The first 20 rounds where pretty rough but now its beautiful. I use it as a scrub gun and to shoot beer cans so i didn't want anything fancy or expensive and cant fault it for that. I've tried the Pardus and felt terrible, the lever action was weird kind of binds up the fingers and wrist.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2016, 5:49 pm

OODAH wrote:I love my Adler! The first 20 rounds where pretty rough but now its beautiful. I use it as a scrub gun and to shoot beer cans so i didn't want anything fancy or expensive and cant fault it for that. I've tried the Pardus and felt terrible, the lever action was weird kind of binds up the fingers and wrist.

faaark, they better be empty ones.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2016, 5:50 pm

What's the big fuss?
Faaarked if I know. All BS.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2016, 6:23 pm

I think Noia started the ruckus just to sell a lot of Adlers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DrDerpy » 22 Sep 2016, 10:44 pm

The fuss is definitely from those on the outside looking in.
They are all pretty cheap and for what you pay you pretty much get what you pay for - most of them cost under $1000 and they resemble something worth under $1000.
As for what your preference will be:

Adler
Pro - Same kind of lever action as Marlin with the trigger guard following the lever forward
Pro - Has had time for the bugs to be ironed out
Pro - You'll be pissing the anti's off
Con - Longer throw
Con - Looks like a Marlin action............is nowhere near as smooth
Con - Very rattly

Pardus
Pro - Trigger guard stays in place, safety is very affirmative
Pro - Much shorter throw and very affirmative, with decent ejector it is possible to work the lever very slowly and still eject and load rounds without issue
Pro - Action is affirmative and able to take whatever you want to ram in there, 3 inch magnum shells, rifled slugs etc - very few rounds cause issues
Con - If you got one in the first batch there's about a 90% chance you'll need to ditch the ejector
Con - Quality control was woeful at the beginning
Con - Make sure the action is fully closed, it is possible to fire with the action still slightly open if you are careless
DrDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 23 Sep 2016, 9:06 am

Oldbloke wrote:
OODAH wrote:I love my Adler! The first 20 rounds where pretty rough but now its beautiful. I use it as a scrub gun and to shoot beer cans so i didn't want anything fancy or expensive and cant fault it for that. I've tried the Pardus and felt terrible, the lever action was weird kind of binds up the fingers and wrist.[/quot

faaark, they better be empty ones.

Defiantly empty of any delicious nectar and refilled with fish pee :drinks:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2016, 12:03 pm

The controversial Adler shotgun is a step closer to being allowed into Australia after the New South Wales Government falls into line to reclassify it as a category D weapon, the ABC understands.

Read the full story
http://ab.co/2h6hoEf
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Dec 2016, 1:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The controversial Adler shotgun is a step closer to being allowed into Australia after the New South Wales Government falls into line to reclassify it as a category D weapon, the ABC understands.

Read the full story
http://ab.co/2h6hoEf

Oldbloke....
the Adler 5+ is a prohibited import.
the Adler 5+ is legal in states - hence the mag mods.

If the Adler 5+ goes to Cat D;
there will be hundreds?? more Adler owners with CAT D modded firearms WITHOUT a cat D licence!!

What will follow will be 'random' inspections for EVERY adler owner in the country.

This wont end well.

and it is VERY VERY bad politics / policy / act by our representative, almost treasonous I would say, to PASS laws that automatically cause law abiding member of the community to became OUTLAWS... :evil: at the 'stroke of the pen' especially considering there is absolutely no reason what so ever for the law....

These mongrels refer to safety and the Martin Place outcome - that actually called for LESS regulation, apart from the fact that the pump action, unregistered, unlicensed, sawed off was used and NOT a legal registered licensed Adler...

Allowed in to Aus as a CAT D = no difference to an import ban, who would choose a lever over a semi???
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2016, 2:18 pm

I just cut and pasted it off the. ABC web site. Haven't read it yet.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Dec 2016, 2:22 pm

No worries oldbloke...
The media are scum.
Nothing more
Nothing less

That it will be 'allowed in' now.... what an effing joke...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2016, 2:33 pm

The story seams very general and leaves me unsure what the result is. There will be more information Monday I guess. Doesn't effect me but banning the 5 shot or making it a D is just stupid. Feel sorry for owners and all firearm users really.

Need a guillotine for the parliament.

Once again, the lesson is don't vote for the major parties.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Dec 2016, 3:39 pm

Dont fall for the doesnt affect me thinking...
that was our 'downfall' with the buyback1, particularly the buyback2... when most shooters were NOT pistol shooters.

This time there would probably not be a buyback3....It will be a knock on the door "at a reasonable hour"....to check your Adler.

I neither have an Adler... but they restrict shotty levers, what about lever centrefires in HANDGUN rounds... Imagine how they will allow the tards to go nuts about hundreds of thousands of lever action kind of semi-auto lever action rifle weapons... chambered in concealable handgun rounds - yes, I can see that line emerging.. SO once theyve saved us from the lever shotties WHY would they stop there??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Dec 2016, 3:42 pm

The story is if it was indeed the NSW PolMin holding up the show.... it would be a lot easier with him gone - replaced with a muppet/puppet.

If there remains only another 'recalcitrant' state.... I can imagine what WORDS would be exchanged in the meeting to 'convince' a change of heart....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles