Bore cleaners /clp's / solvents??

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Bore cleaners /clp's / solvents??

Post by Rmwilliams19 » 21 Sep 2016, 4:12 pm

Seeking thoughts on what yall recommend on cleaning bores ie. Remove leading and copper fouling. I see people use standard hoppes no. 9 then there is a hoppes no.9 benchrest type specifying removes copper fouling. I assume both remove copper just one being a more potent version. Are these the way to go or is a cleaner/lube/protectant like g96 and one shot the go? Ure thoughts would be handy. Cheers.
Rmwilliams19
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bore cleaners /clp's / solvents??

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Sep 2016, 5:12 pm

I use Hoppes No.9 for all my bore cleaning and Sweets 7.62 solvent for copper removal. Ballistol for external oiling and a coat in the bore if I'm not planning on using that rifle for some time. Hoppes No.9 can be left in the bore, just ensure that you patch out before you shoot. I've tried various "all-in-one" potions over the years and never been happy with the results.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Sep 2016, 5:20 pm

Eds red for basic carbon/fouling removal and Sweets 7.62 solvent for copper removal.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 21 Sep 2016, 7:10 pm

In the year 2016 there are all in ones that actaully do remove copper, powder fouling and protect the bore. I stopped using sweets and hoppes the the gun dealer gave me a bottle of Pro-shot IV. Ah, the simple life.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Sep 2016, 9:27 pm

Try a swab of sweets after you cleaned with your all-in-one, I'd be surprised if you don't get copper res. All in ones do a pretty good job but they are a trade off.

Fix the cleaning dilemma by shooting black-powder cartridge, 5-6 patches and your done. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 22 Sep 2016, 4:36 am

I use Kleen bore on the inside, foaming bore cleaner for the copper, then g96 all over for protection
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles