Playing with the Rossi

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Playing with the Rossi

Post by bigpete » 22 Sep 2016, 7:38 am

IMG_20160922_064606.jpg
IMG_20160922_064606.jpg (823.03 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Just had a few shots with my Rossi 44 mag using sellier and bellot 240gn soft points. Group was shot from 50m off my elbows using the back corner of my ute as a rest. I'm pretty pleased really as once I worked out the proper sight picture for them,and bearing in mind the front sight is way bigger than the square at that range,I managed to put 6 rounds into a nice 2" cluster. Even though I hate the idea,I'm curious as to how much better I might be able to shoot if it had a scout scope on it.
IMG_20160921_142035.jpg
IMG_20160921_142035.jpg (627.69 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
but she's beautiful as is :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Playing with the Rossi

Post by bigpete » 22 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

Yeah I hate scout scope set ups anyway :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2016, 12:51 pm

bigpete wrote:Yeah I hate scout scope set ups anyway :-)

I put a scout scope on my Mauser and I doubt I'll ever get used to the bloody thing.
I'm making another offset mount to run a normal scope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Sep 2016, 1:08 pm

I'm considering trying to make a mount for a small reflex sight to mount at the rear of the action,mainly to make it a bit more useful in low light conditions. I once had a 94 big bote that I bought set up with scout mounts,they worked fine with a red dot,but I hated the look of them
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sydor » 22 Sep 2016, 7:52 pm

Try Skinner peep sight!
Sydor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Sep 2016, 8:39 pm

Is that tang mounted or the one that replaces the rear sight ? Honestly don't like either,but I'm seriously considering making one that will sit just forward of the safety over the breech
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Sep 2016, 7:38 am

IMG_20160923_064658.jpg
IMG_20160923_064658.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 4033 times
Shot this hare this morning freehand from a measured 80m. Unfortunately,even though I aimed for his head,the bullet hit him low possibly due to the distance but more likely due to the fact these S&B rounds shoot a touch low. Either way,it was a pretty good shot I reckon,but a more easily adjustable rear sight is definitely in order !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 23 Sep 2016, 8:46 am

Just curious, whats a box of those sellier and bellot 240gn soft points cost you? They're quite slow aren't they? (which would explain that accuracy, well done btw)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 23 Sep 2016, 9:02 am

I think from memory I got them on special 2 boxes for $89. No idea how fast they are, but they're faster than my plinking loads which group an inch or so high with a 6 o'clock hold. If they are slower that would explain why they're not anywhere near as destructive as the american eagle ones I've used
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 23 Sep 2016, 9:20 am

bigpete wrote:I think from memory I got them on special 2 boxes for $89. No idea how fast they are, but they're faster than my plinking loads which group an inch or so high with a 6 o'clock hold. If they are slower that would explain why they're not anywhere near as destructive as the american eagle ones I've used

Wow that's cheap! And 50/box I take it? My 30/30 is most accurate at around the 1080 fps mark (just like a 22) - a quick search returned this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/92673 ... -box-of-50

so it would totally make sense!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 23 Sep 2016, 9:45 am

I wonder if those ballistics are with a rifle or a pistol ? Yeah the normal price for them is $56/50 I believe
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 24 Sep 2016, 7:52 pm

bigpete wrote:I wonder if those ballistics are with a rifle or a pistol ? Yeah the normal price for them is $56/50 I believe

If they are measured relative to pistol, add about 15% for a rifle. In any case your Rossi sure does seem to like them! That's a versatile little combo you got going for all but the very biggest of game (which are rare as hen's teeth in southern Aussie bush anyway ;) ) I'd stick with them if I were you. I love seeing accurate little iron-sighted levers kicking arse - totally flipping the bird to the whole "tactical" bs market :P
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 Sep 2016, 11:19 pm

For sights that will improve over the buckhorn on the barrel I'll suggest you look into receiver sights, Lyman and Williams come to mind, or check out the tang sights available for the guns. When I was shooting Cowboy Action my Winchester (Miroku) '92 in 45 Colt was equipped with a tang sight, which aided in sight acquisition and accuracy.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2016, 7:27 am

Did you find at all that the tang mounted peep got in the way of gripping the rifle ? I originally had planned to go that way for finer accuracy and long range plinking,but a good experienced hunter warned me off them.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 25 Sep 2016, 11:58 am

No, I did not have a problem with the tang sight interfering with taking a grip on the rifle., even though Winchester's lawyers had made Winchester put a tang mounted safety on the d*nm gun, at least when the sight was up in the firing position.

On my Marlin 39A I have a Williams receiver peep sight that I really like. In the case of the Marlin it was a no gunsmith add on, just remove a few screws and add on the sight. I'll be honest and say that the receiver sight is the way I'd go. I've nothing against the tang sights, I've got them on a number of rifles, but I really like the receiver sight.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm

Do you think it would be worth running a tang peep in conjunction with the standard sights,one for close range quick shooting,one for more precise longer range shots ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Sep 2016, 9:09 am

bigpete wrote:Do you think it would be worth running a tang peep in conjunction with the standard sights,one for close range quick shooting,one for more precise longer range shots ?

That is how my guns are/were set up. The tang and receiver sights all use the factory front sight. You have full access to the barrel mounted buckhorn, and with a simple loosening of a thumbscrew the tang sight can be brought up and the locked, by tightening that same thumbscrew.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 26 Sep 2016, 9:28 am

I think that's how I'll go. Can't seem to find one in Australia though. They seem pretty darn expensive too.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 28 Sep 2016, 3:03 pm

IMG_20160928_141726.jpg
IMG_20160928_141726.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3172 times
IMG_20160928_141716.jpg
IMG_20160928_141716.jpg (842.38 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
gotta love the 44 mag! :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2016, 12:47 pm

bentaz wrote:
bigpete wrote:,I'm curious as to how much better I might be able to shoot if it had a scout scope on it.:-)

What and take all the fun out of it, get a ruger 77/44 or something if you want to go that way and leave the ol' girl alone (I know the rossi aint actually old, but you know what i mean).

I may end up having to do that if the bloody lever gun classifications change !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles