Ruger M77 failure to feed

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger M77 failure to feed

Post by chrispy88 » 23 Sep 2016, 1:37 pm

Hi All, after some help. A mate has just bought a second hand M77 Hawkeye in .223 Rem. Took it to the range today to try it out with some Buffalo River ballistic tips. I told him to push them to the back of the internal magazine to prevent the tips being damaged. However, when loaded like this the bolt is failing to collect a round from the mag on its way through. It does however just catch one if the rounds are pushed to the front of the mag. It's a hunting rifle so needs to feed reliably.

Any ideas what's going on or does it need to go to a smith?
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Ruger M77 failure to feed

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2016, 2:06 pm

chrispy88 wrote:Hi All, after some help. A mate has just bought a second hand M77 Hawkeye in .223 Rem. Took it to the range today to try it out with some Buffalo River ballistic tips. I told him to push them to the back of the internal magazine to prevent the tips being damaged. However, when loaded like this the bolt is failing to collect a round from the mag on its way through. It does however just catch one if the rounds are pushed to the front of the mag. It's a hunting rifle so needs to feed reliably.

Any ideas what's going on or does it need to go to a smith?

How much room is there in the magwell
I would think you want the rounds loaded forward rather than rearward for reliable feeding.
Should the magwell be blocked in the back (like the Ruger American mags) to suit shorter cartridge lengths?
I would keep loading them to the front of the mag and see if reliability does become an issue. I doubt loading them to the rear will protect the tips, don't they push forward under recoil anyway?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 23 Sep 2016, 3:09 pm

they jump forward under recoil anyway and the bigger the jump the more you'll damage the tip

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by sarki » 23 Sep 2016, 4:10 pm

chrispy88 wrote:I told him to push them to the back of the internal magazine to prevent the tips being damaged. However, when loaded like this the bolt is failing to collect a round from the mag on its way through.

Failing how? Does the bolt not come back far enough to be behind the round so it can collect it?

Or is the round not sitting high enough when pushed to the back of the mag to be collected by the bolt? Spring issue with the magazine not pushing the rear of the round high enough if it's all the way back?

You can top feed the Ruger M77s, if you open the bolt on an empty mag and just drop a round in the top, does it feed, fire and eject all good?
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 23 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm

Can you measure the internal length of the mag box and put it up here? It may have a 308 size mag box instead of the 223 size one. I have a 223 size one here if it is the problem.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles