Lee Enfield magazine-jams on the last round

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lee Enfield magazine-jams on the last round

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Sep 2016, 7:36 pm

I took my Enfield out shooting today and noticed whenever i would try to chamber the last round in the mag, it would not feed correctly in the chamber (it would turn up to the left in an awkward position with about a third of the case visible between the chamber and bolt). All rounds before the last functioned flawlessly. I believe it may be an issue with the feed lips or a weak follower spring. Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lee Enfield magazine-jams on the last round

Post by AusTac » 23 Sep 2016, 7:42 pm

What rounds are you using? Factory or reloads? Are you working the bolt like you hate it? Have you cleaned the mag follower recently?

Enfields are usually pretty reliable in my experience, also is it a no4 or no1?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Sep 2016, 8:54 pm

AusTac wrote:What rounds are you using? Factory or reloads? Are you working the bolt like you hate it? Have you cleaned the mag follower recently?

Enfields are usually pretty reliable in my experience, also is it a no4 or no1?

It's one of my number 5's. I was operating the bolt with lots of authority :). And I agree Enfields are very reliable, this is the first time something like this has happened before and I'm almost certain its a mag issue.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 23 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm

Id assume you don't have another mag to swap/try? If your projies are fat (215 gn) ease the lips apart, if they are thin (174 ish) ease them in, may just take a little fiddling, keep in mind i wouldn't go messing with the lips to much, don't want to fatigue the metal to much

Good luck
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Sep 2016, 10:15 pm

Cheers for the reply AusTac, i do have another magazine for comparison so I'll experiment and see what happens.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles