Sauer 100 vs 101

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Sauer 100 vs 101

Post by glidagida » 08 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

Put a deposit down at Safari Arms for a synthetic Classic XT 100. The stock is the same as the 101 minus the soft feel coating, bolt is the same but has only 3 lugs instead of 6, safety is on the side but basically give the same function as the 101.
glidagida
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 08 Oct 2016, 8:38 pm

Will the 3 lugs vs 6 lugs cause any noticeable difference in the operation/accuracy?
Cheers.
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by glidagida » 10 Oct 2016, 7:50 am

@308Cool
In Europe the 100 has a 3 shot sub MOA guarantee on NORMAL FACTORY ammo, not handloads. The 101 has a 5 round guarantee.
As the 100 has the same bolt, except for the lugs, the same stock, the same bedding system, and the same barrel, I figured it was not worth the extra for the 101. In .243 the only 101 I could find was $2,000, the 100 was under $1,200.
The accuracy tests are not there yet because it's so new, but the one from the UK showed subMOA in a raging gale. The wind was so strong his observer could not keep the sighting scope tripod stable enough to sight the target. The gun was an early production gun taken straight from the cargo hold of a plane to the range, no special setting up. Under those conditions you would be amazed if a gun shot subMOA. :thumbsup:
The other accuracy test was by Sauer USA where they took 2 x 100's to a 1,000 yard tactical shooting contest, I think the targets were 300, 600, 800 and 1,000 and they hit everything with basic hunting guns. It looks like they were using a good scope on standard Leupold rings and bases.
It's around the same price as a Tikka and better built from what a gunsmith said who sells both.
The remaining guns in both varieties are becoming scarce with the first shipment sold out in some shops, which is why I put my dosh down.
Cheers
GG
glidagida
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2016, 8:01 am

308cool wrote:Will the 3 lugs vs 6 lugs cause any noticeable difference in the operation/accuracy?
Cheers.

Not enough to worry about on a hunting rifle in my opinion, well worth looking at for the $$. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 308cool » 10 Oct 2016, 11:10 pm

Sounds great!!
Yeah, in the store (safari firearms) I definitely thought it felt better then the browning x-bolt, tikka t3x, vanguard s2 etc. All around the same price so it looks like a nice bit of kit!
@glidagida let us know how it goes once you pick it up.
Cheers for all the help everyone,
much appreciated!
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Oct 2016, 7:42 am

Just had a look at that shop in Qld has them in SS thumbhole stock for $1990 and in 308 - fark I'm tempted!!! :D

You've been good all year and Christmas is coming, you owe it to yourself to buy one :)
I played with one of these at Magnums (They must get sick of me constantly fondling their stock) and they looked and felt very nice. I initially dismissed them as being a "budget" class rifle when compared to say a Sako but I've learnt that price has no bearing on accuracy. I'd be very interested to hear from someone that owns and shoots the Sauer. The S101 in 300WinMag with the threaded barrel would be top on my list, can use a brake now and ready for the silencer in the future. Thanks to the OP for bringing this manufacturer to light :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Releb » 11 Oct 2016, 2:25 pm

308cool wrote:Will the 3 lugs vs 6 lugs cause any noticeable difference in the operation/accuracy?
Cheers.

Nah.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2016, 6:07 pm

Anyone know what sort of mounts you can put on the 100's?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 6:34 pm

Would have to double check but i think they are Rem compatible.

Yep... my post on the last page. Rem 700 compatible.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

Gwion wrote:Would have to double check but i think they are Rem compatible.

Yep... my post on the last page. Rem 700 compatible.

Thanks G I had a quick look and you are spot on - which I'm glad about as they are reasonably priced and have always worked for me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by glidagida » 26 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

This is the review that finally did it for me, talking about the Sauer 101:

We shot the rifles with Federal Classic, Federal Fusion, Hornady and Norma. While some rifles liked some ammo better, all of them passed the MOA test with all of the ammo. And our testing equipment was nothing fancy—a solid bench, sandbag rests and a Zeiss Duralyt scope set on 10 power. We would shoot five shots, not let the barrel cool and shoot another group. We did this for hundreds of rounds until the rifle was so hot it would literally burn skin if you touched the barrel. This is something I normally wouldn’t do with my own rifle, but the engineers said, “Keep shooting, this is a good test.” So we did, taking turns loading and literally burning the rifle up. The result? After hundreds of shots of .30-06, the gun would still hold MOA and there was no perceptible point of impact shift from when we started with a cold barrel. That is a testament to a quality barrel.

Read more: http://www.petersenshunting.com/gear-ac ... z4OABzai8z
glidagida
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Oct 2016, 5:41 pm

In the end I just went a Tikka T3X in 308 (hunter version with blue fluted stock) - I figured that would do for a walk around outfit to go chase some pigs and deer, dogs etc with. I also got some mounts, bag etc in the deal for nothing so happy enough with that, hopefully it shoots!

I was after something light and not too expensive and this fitted the bill for what I was after nicely (was originally looking at a SS fluted version in a Lam Stock but just wasn't willing to pay the asking price (about $400 more) - not worth it in my opinion.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Oct 2016, 8:13 pm

Boooooo!

:P

You've gone over to the dark side, BigFella! :lol:

Reckon the Sauer would have been better!

Oh well...
Still wish they did a lefty!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

Gwion wrote:Boooooo!

Oh well...

Yeah G I wanted something lite to wonder around in the bush with to belt a few pigs and deer and dogs the tickler fitted the bill so to speak. My mate has sauers and his tickets shoot better and cost a third as much (he works in a gunshop) anyway the tickler will do the job I'm sure.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Oct 2016, 11:25 am

Howa super lite in 7-08 would have done the trick! ;) :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2016, 11:31 am

Gwion wrote:Howa super lite in 7-08 would have done the trick! ;) :lol:

Nah not real fussed on the 7-08, hard to get components at times hence the decision to go with the easy to find components for 308 :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Oct 2016, 11:38 am

;)
Just stirring, mate.

I don't have any issues getting bits for my 7-08, though. Brass isn't cheap though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2016, 11:50 am

Gwion wrote:;)
Just stirring, mate.

I don't have any issues getting bits for my 7-08, though. Brass isn't cheap though.

Yeah I know G, I did consider it at one stage along with half a doz others but I just figured the 308 is a safe option when it comes to finding ammo on the shelves and reloading components for, also I had around 100 once fired cases sitting here doing nothing so figured I might as well put em to use. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by glidagida » 31 Oct 2016, 7:38 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Oh well...

Yeah G I wanted something lite to wonder around in the bush with to belt a few pigs and deer and dogs the tickler fitted the bill so to speak. My mate has sauers and his tickets shoot better and cost a third as much (he works in a gunshop) anyway the tickler will do the job I'm sure.

Amazing isn't it. :unknown:
My gunshop fella sells both Tikka and Sauer and everyone in the shop shoots Sauer or Blaser. He reckons the Sauer are built better and equally accurate. Where he said the difference was most obvious was the general quality of the machining but it was the bolt. The Tikka is known for its smooth bolt action just like Sauer, but the Tikka achieves this by increased tolerances. When compared side by side the Tikka bolt is sloppier which he says is better tolerances on the Sauer.
The way I looked at it the Sauer 100 was cheaper than the base Tikka, both had sub MOA guarantees and the Sauer looked better built.
glidagida
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Oct 2016, 8:03 am

glidagida wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Oh well...

Amazing isn't it. :unknown:
My gunshop fella sells both Tikka and Sauer and everyone in the shop shoots Sauer or Blaser. He reckons the Sauer are built better and equally accurate. Where he said the difference was most obvious was the general quality of the machining but it was the bolt. The Tikka is known for its smooth bolt action just like Sauer, but the Tikka achieves this by increased tolerances. When compared side by side the Tikka bolt is sloppier which he says is better tolerances on the Sauer.
The way I looked at it the Sauer 100 was cheaper than the base Tikka, both had sub MOA guarantees and the Sauer looked better built.

Yeah all in the eye of the beer holder I guess, either or for me, but the Sauer 100 felt cheapishly made to some degree, if I wanted one I would have gone the 101 or 202 which have better specs but I just didn't have the need to spend the extra $$ when I can get good enough results with a cheaper offering. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by glidagida » 05 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

Hi guys
Just came across this review of the Sauer 100 classic which makes me even more keen to get mine off lay-by.

He seems pretty impressed. :thumbsup:
http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2 ... ic-xt.html

PS. My Sauer was $100+ cheaper than the equivalent Tikka T3X Hunter. I think the Sauer had a nicer stock, which just "fitted" and the bolt was just sooo smooth. :clap:
Each to his own.
glidagida
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hadoku » 07 Nov 2016, 9:14 am

Fit is a massive factor I reckon.

Doesn't matter how nice a rifle is if it's uncomfortable to hold.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Think Lab » 05 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, I own the "Sauer 101 classic walnut" chambered in 270win, and I also own the "Sauer 100 classic stained beech" chambered in 243win.

The 101 vs 100

6 lug bolt vs 3 lug (different safety and firing pin on the 100, and the 100's safety can make a racket if your not careful)
Heat friction fitted and pin-locked vs threaded barrel to receiver
CNC machined receiver vs investment casted
walnut vs stained beech stock (checkering is also deeper and sharper on the 101)
totally different feeling triggers(100 not as crisp, a slight amount of creep and over travel)
A lot nicer finished and softer butt-pad on the 101
Oiled finish is a lot nicer on the 101
Both bolts are as smooth as a baby's bum

All in all the 101 is a better quality build, but for nearly double the price you have to justify your choice of one or the other, either way you get a gun in the 100 that feels nicer and of better quality (subject of my opinion) rivaling the cost of the "Tikka t3x"(My Mrs owns a T3x in 223) , and the 101 feels as nice, and of as sound quality as the "Sako 85 hunter"(I also own a 85 in 7mm rem mag) but you save $200 or so buying the 101 vs the 85 (that's a set of rings).

The choice of Sauer vs Tikka goes with out saying.........Sauer

But the Sako vs Sauer is a totally personal choice as they are like non-identical twins that will always fight each other to the death but there being never a clear winner, I do like the feel of the Sauer bolt better than the Sako (probably because the Sako is controlled round feed).

The only draw back to the Sauer is the "blued finnish" vs Sako's "stainless finish (I had my 101 "Cerakoted" which puts it a few hundred bucks more than the Sako's stock price), but the Sauer will not rust now at all, the Sako stainless-steel will still slightly rust if left wet for to long, though not as bad as a blued gun! ...........

Shannon
Think Lab
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 05 Mar 2017, 3:47 pm

Think Lab wrote:Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, I own the "Sauer 101 classic walnut" chambered in 270win, and I also own the "Sauer 100 classic stained beech" chambered in 243win.

The 101 vs 100

6 lug bolt vs 3 lug (different safety and firing pin on the 100, and the 100's safety can make a racket if your not careful)
Heat friction fitted and pin-locked vs threaded barrel to receiver
CNC machined receiver vs investment casted
walnut vs stained beech stock (checkering is also deeper and sharper on the 101)
totally different feeling triggers(100 not as crisp, a slight amount of creep and over travel)
A lot nicer finished and softer butt-pad on the 101
Oiled finish is a lot nicer on the 101
Both bolts are as smooth as a baby's bum

All in all the 101 is a better quality build, but for nearly double the price you have to justify your choice of one or the other, either way you get a gun in the 100 that feels nicer and of better quality (subject of my opinion) rivaling the cost of the "Tikka t3x"(My Mrs owns a T3x in 223) , and the 101 feels as nice, and of as sound quality as the "Sako 85 hunter"(I also own a 85 in 7mm rem mag) but you save $200 or so buying the 101 vs the 85 (that's a set of rings).

The choice of Sauer vs Tikka goes with out saying.........Sauer

But the Sako vs Sauer is a totally personal choice as they are like non-identical twins that will always fight each other to the death but there being never a clear winner, I do like the feel of the Sauer bolt better than the Sako (probably because the Sako is controlled round feed).

The only draw back to the Sauer is the "blued finnish" vs Sako's "stainless finish (I had my 101 "Cerakoted" which puts it a few hundred bucks more than the Sako's stock price), but the Sauer will not rust now at all, the Sako stainless-steel will still slightly rust if left wet for to long, though not as bad as a blued gun! ...........

Shannon

Cheers for the real-world genuine comparison. Unfortunately I also went to the dark side and ended up getting a growing x-bolt, mainly due to the fact that the twist rate wasn't great for 6.5CM and then because they didn't offer 25-06. I think my next rifle, .223, might have to be a sauer.
Cheers
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Think Lab » 06 Mar 2017, 6:36 am

That's a good choice, the X-bolt is a real nice gun for its price as well. I was looking at the "Hells canyon speed" and that's a choice yank gun!

You probably think I'm a fu*k-tard, but what do you mean by "the dark side"?

Shannon
Think Lab
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 06 Mar 2017, 1:01 pm

Think Lab wrote:That's a good choice, the X-bolt is a real nice gun for its price as well. I was looking at the "Hells canyon speed" and that's a choice yank gun!

You probably think I'm a fu*k-tard, but what do you mean by "the dark side"?

Shannon

Yeah, the hells canyon looked nice but for the extra $300 with zero actual mechanical differences, I thought it was rather pointless.

In this thread we referred to anyone who didn't get a sauer as going to 'the dark side' :)

Cheers
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles