Winchester 9422m xtr

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Winchester 9422m xtr

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2016, 11:24 pm

So, I was in the lgs today and asked what they had in 22wmr, as I'm looking to plug a gap between the 22 and the 223 (still considering .17hmr as well, but that's another discussion).

I had a look at a couple of options (not many in stock atm) and then asked if they had anything second hand as I'm not necessarily looking for anything new and don't want to spend much on it since I have most things covered already.

He said they didn't have anything, but would double check out the back. A couple of minutes later he comes out with a box. He'dforgotten about it as they're waiting for a screw to arrive as it's missing from the barrel band, and it's a lever, not a bolt.

Turns out it's a winnie 9422m xtr. I'm assuming its an older one as it has no checkering. Missing a screw(being replaced before they sell), loose forend (easily fixed by tightening a screw) but the stock isn't in great nick. Ithasafair few dings and patches of the finish are missing. I would sand it back and oil it up before polishing it with beeswax.

So I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on these for me, as well as rough price ranges for fair condition?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Winchester 9422m xtr

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Sep 2016, 8:15 am

G'day Bill
I have had a couple of these. One from new was a beauty. The other I picked up second-hand off "Ab"usedguns.com. Surface rust, chunk missing off stock as well as a few dings. I bought it for $550 all up (posted) for a nephew who was interested in shooting lever gun silhouette . He lost interest and I passed it on to a fellow silhouette shooter. His wife uses it and is very happy with it. In the shooting I did with it after cleaning it up, it performed quite well. I could get 2" groups @ 100m with it using the standard barrel sights. More than adequate for our game. The action is fairly simple and reliable. I'd offer that shop around the same money.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Sep 2016, 10:17 am

Thanks, Gamerancher. I still haven't quite decided between 22wmr and 17hmr yet (for various reasons) but I'm seriously considering this.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Sep 2016, 6:50 pm

I had one as a teenager, wasn't a bad firearm, never shot real well but I suspect if I had it today using todays ammo it may well be a different story. get them to scope the barrel to see what condition it's in (get them to let you have a look too)

Not sure what they are going for these days but sounds like that one may well have been neglected (hence the bore scope recommendation) just to put your mind at ease.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm

Thanks bfs. Managed to get some light down the bore and the bore looks well enough, rifling is fine.
The bluing is still good, but was a farm gun. Bit of tlc to the stock and some tightening of the screws and she should come up well.
That said, I'm leaning towards passing on it for various different reasons
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 28 Sep 2016, 11:43 pm

I had the opportunity to shoot a Winchester 9422, in 22LR, many years back. I thought they were a nice gun, a bit larger than the Browning BP-22 I was using at the time. I recall it to be the equal of the Browning in accuracy, I shot one as bad, or good, as the other.

Otherwise in 22 Mag I have 4 guns two Ruger Single-Sixes, one NAA mini-revolver, and a Ruger 77/22Magnum. The Rugers are shot with their 22LR cylinders and not the mags in them 22 Mags are pricey to just plink with. The NAA is carried as a concealed gun when I can't hide anything else. The rifle was inherited from my father and I haven't gotten out with it yet, but I will soon.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Rakk » 13 Oct 2016, 12:33 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:I had the opportunity to shoot a Winchester 9422, in 22LR, many years back. I thought they were a nice gun, a bit larger than the Browning BP-22 I was using at the time.

Larger in a good way or bad way?

Personal fit here or whatever but I find a lot of 22's seem a bit small for me, like they're halfway to a youth rifle.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Tonit » 27 Oct 2016, 2:46 pm

I had a look at the Ruger 77/22 a while ago and that was the first thing that I noticed. Felt tiny.

I know it's just a rimfire and there is no reason to make it big (heavy) but just felt odd.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 27 Oct 2016, 5:33 pm

Fiddling with the barrel bands is common practice to try and improve the harmonics- wonder whether that's why they are loose & lost? Perhaps the previous owner was trying to tighten those groups up?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles