Looking at purchasing my first gun

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Looking at purchasing my first gun

Post by jaydos » 09 Oct 2016, 6:47 pm

Hey everyone,
Been lurking here for a while now and think there is a really good knowledge base and community spirit on the forum.

I am currently waiting for QPS to approve my AB license and am going to start looking at purchasing my first firearm shortly.

I am thinking of either a .22lr or a .223 and also the possibility of getting a shotgun as well.
I will be using it for practicing at the range and am also some hunting/pest control once I am confident enough with accuracy.

Im going to give myself a budget of about 1-2k just not sure what path to go down. Should I purchase new or go second hand for my first rifle, just thinking that It will be a learning curve with cleaning and maintenance.
Just looking at getting the opinions of all of you knowledgable people :)
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Looking at purchasing my first gun

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 Oct 2016, 11:47 am

My suggestion is to start with a secondhand .22. You can pick up some beauties really cheap and learn the basics.

And you fan't go wrong having a shotgun.

As for the other options, what is the intended use? What do you want to hunt? Where? What terrain?

Give us a little more info and we can help point you in the right direction, but regardless, a .22 and 12g is a good starting point.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Adlippy » 10 Oct 2016, 12:42 pm

Every man should own a shot gun I believe it is written :D
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 10 Oct 2016, 1:11 pm

Depends on what you shoot and where but i'd say start with a 22LR then go from there.
Cheap to use, easy to look after & versatile... you can shoot low velocity quiet ammo all the way to to 1600fps stingers.

If noise isn't an issue you could always also look at 17HMR or 22WMR for a bit more range. Ammo costs more than a 22LR but it's cheaper than a 223. Winchester do a 22WMR subsonic round also.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Oct 2016, 6:49 pm

I'll agree with going for a 22, 22 Long Rifle, for the first gun. A 22 is the first gun I pulled a trigger on, nearly 50 years ago. Then over 40 years back 22s were the first guns I bought.

As for what to get, well I know you fellas in Australia have restrictions that we in the USA don't have, so I'll try to stay general in that regard. New or used? Well you can think of this as being the same as when you buy a car, buy new you get to deal with the problems as they show up, buy used and you are potentially buying someone else's problems. Mind you used guns are not all problem guns, I have quite a few used guns and only a few were guns that needed trips to gunsmiths and I knew that when getting them.

But to me the most important thing is to get what you want, or at least what you are allowed to have. If you want a bolt action 22 and you don't care who t is made by then get one. But if you really want a CZ or a Ruger 77/22 then that is what you should get. If you go and buy a Marlin or Savage bolt action 22 then you will probably never really be satisfied with it.

Also please to remember to get a good carrying case and cleaning gear.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2016, 7:32 pm

As bentaz said, 22lr then 12g DB shotgun. They can cover a lot between them.
Regarding recoil, the heavier you are the more felt recoil there will be. This is because you don't roll with the punch very much if you are heavy. But lightly built people do. And you feel it less if you are standing. It's about gun fit too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 10 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:As bentaz said, 22lr then 12g DB shotgun.

No No No ....

A shotgun, THEN something else.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 11 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

I guess I'm playing devils advocate here.

Not disputing the logic that there is for starting with a 22lr, but I reckon then get boring fast and you'll quickly want a gun that can do more.

Anyone can learn on a .223 with all the same benefits of going with a 22lr and avoiding pitfalls of bigger cartridges. You can hunt and target shoot with it the same as a 22lr but you can do it to a few hundred metres, not 50.

IMHO
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2016, 10:55 am

Norton wrote:I guess I'm playing devils advocate here.

Not disputing the logic that there is for starting with a 22lr, but I reckon then get boring fast and you'll quickly want a gun that can do more.

Anyone can learn on a .223 with all the same benefits of going with a 22lr and avoiding pitfalls of bigger cartridges. You can hunt and target shoot with it the same as a 22lr but you can do it to a few hundred metres, not 50.

IMHO

You can indeed learn the same skills shooting centrefire, but at a _much_ greater cost than a .22LR.
A .22LR you can put several hundred rounds down range in every session without worrying about cost or wear and tear on the firearm.
If you accept that the .22 is merely for inexpensively honing your shooting skills then it'll never get boring.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wade06 » 11 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

Yep, $1.50+ per round for factory ammo can really take the fun out of things if you don't hand load.
A decent second hand 22lr can be picked up for $400-$500 and ammo is as cheap as 10c per round.
Shooting rabbits and mynas :lol: never gets boring plus shooting a 22lr causes less problems with neighbors if you don't shoot on large properties.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2016, 12:08 pm

wade06 wrote:Shooting rabbits and mynas :lol: never gets boring

Are you guys allowed to shoot myna's up there?
They drive me nuts down here!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fry » 11 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm

Adlippy wrote:Every man should own a shot gun I believe it is written :D

If it wasn't before it's written now :thumbsup:
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jaydos » 11 Oct 2016, 6:59 pm

Visited the local gun shop today(Pine Rivers Lock and Gunsmith), The guy i spoke to was really helpful and honest. I basically told him from the get go that I was a novice and what I wanted to get out of my first rifle. At first he was leaning me towards the .223 but after a bit more of a chat and putting price into perspective on the time i want to spend practicing at the range we decided that a .22 would be a better suit. Ended up going with a CZ 452. I think I will look into the shotgun around xmas. Is the general consensus that the break action shottys are 'better' than lever action (although the adlers look like a ****** of fun)
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Oct 2016, 7:02 pm

Yes Yes Yes ....

Please do NOT even contemplate, buying a 'lever action' shotgun.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2016, 7:07 pm

CZ452 22lr. You weak prick. Shorld have bought a 375 Holland and Holland. Great for rabbits and mynas.

Otherwise a good choice. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Oct 2016, 7:09 pm

bentaz wrote:
Is the general consensus that the break action shottys are 'better' than lever action (although the adlers look like a ****** of fun)

Yes but it is your civic duty to buy a lever action shotgun, it doesn't have to be an Adler, a Winchester 1887 or one of its clones would be my choice, but there are a bunch of other "dangerous rapid fire paramilitary almost semiauto murder guns" to choose from now.

Bentaz ...

You're such a naughty f**ker !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Oct 2016, 8:00 pm

Dear Sir, has anyone spoken to you about the gospel of .308? It's only a fraction wider han a .22, but exponentially more fun ;)

N.B.
.22 is lots of very cheap fun...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 Oct 2016, 8:41 pm

:p
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2016, 8:57 pm

Shorld have bought a 375 Holland and Holland. Great for rabbits. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 12 Oct 2016, 10:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:Shorld have bought a 375 Holland and Holland. Great for rabbits. :thumbsup:

I use mine for plinking.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Oct 2016, 11:42 am

Oldbloke wrote:Shorld have bought a 375 Holland and Holland. Great for rabbits. :thumbsup:

Ehh, small bore. Get a 45/70, kills, cleans, and par cooks them.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Oct 2016, 11:51 am

jaydos wrote:Visited the local gun shop today(Pine Rivers Lock and Gunsmith), The guy i spoke to was really helpful and honest. I basically told him from the get go that I was a novice and what I wanted to get out of my first rifle. At first he was leaning me towards the .223 but after a bit more of a chat and putting price into perspective on the time i want to spend practicing at the range we decided that a .22 would be a better suit. Ended up going with a CZ 452. I think I will look into the shotgun around xmas. Is the general consensus that the break action shottys are 'better' than lever action (although the adlers look like a ****** of fun)

CZs are quality pieces, mine is a 455 American Sporter, I'm sure you'll love it. I keep forgetting you Aussies are forbidden pump and autoloader shotguns, so with my sole experience with lever action shotguns being a friend's 1887 Winchester, I'd have to suggest a break action scatter gun as well.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles