New Goodies

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Goodies

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 11:41 am

So after I finally got through the 28 day waiting period for PTAs in ACT i've finally gotten my new rifles.
One is a Browning BL22 Grade II which im really excited to have a shot with because its the first .22 ive owned. Absolutely busting to get this thing out to property and im even considering heading to the range right now! :lol: Please excuse the terrible photos, i have realised i dont actually own a camera apart from my phone. should have sized them better as well but im strapped for time, apologies. If you have trouble with the sizes use "right click>open image in new tab"

IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG (657.6 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Small little thing. beautiful timber.

IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG (706.67 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

The Grade II fanciness and "gold bling" trigger

IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG (538.14 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

The rear sight is flip up. Front is a little hard to pick up but i think that was just the lighting. Out in the sun it shouldn't be too hard. Can always put a drop of paint on it if need be.

IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG (475.03 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

This is probably what browning levers are best known for. The short throw 33 degree (i think) lever throw. Its fully extended in the photo. Smoothest lever ive ever used by far although im yet to handle a Henry which people rave about.

So thats the little BL22. The other gun i picked up is a bit less known so maybe you havent heard of it its called a Tikka T3 :sarcasm:

IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG (693 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Im sure everyone is more than familiar with the tikkas so i wont post a million photos of that one. imo stainless or nickle is the only way to make synthetic furniture look good so double that with the scope being as good as it is im pretty happy with the tikka. probably a little more interesting than the tikka is some of the ammo i picked up to put through it. Its a hunting rifle so my LGS recomended these buffalo river rounds that use 55 grain sierra game kings.

IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG (687.58 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

As i said, i havent got a chance to shoot either gun yet but what i found interesting about these rounds is the way they are packaged.

IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG (873.35 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Now this is more a novelty thing than anything else for me because i sure as hell havent seen this before. Not sure if its a new thing or its unique to this producer or what but i thought it was fun. Anyway, i'll update this thread with some pics (once ive been to the range or one of my properties) of groups shot and hopefully some bunnies, foxes and dogs taken with these two beauties.

Thanks,
Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: New Goodies

Post by AusTac » 17 Oct 2016, 11:44 am

That .22 looks classy, is a grade II some sort of "luxury " model?

Can't go wrong with a tikka, tried and tested
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

As far as I know the only difference is the scroll work on the receiver, the trigger colour and the checkering. No performance difference that i am aware of. I only got the grade II because its what they had in the store :lol:
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Supaduke » 17 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm

Grade II also makes you smarter , increases your sex appeal and makes you stronger.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

I have grade 1 BL-22 - love it. Fastest way to go through 200-500 rounds in couple of hours.

I don't have checkering on it, but it has few scratches now. Couple more months and I'll turn it into grade 2 :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 2:30 pm

The Browning is 'made in Japan' ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 2:44 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:The Browning is 'made in Japan' ?

Yes sir made in Japan. Not sure how old it is.
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 2:49 pm

.... then, made in the Miroku factory which also makes a lot of Winchester and of course, Miroku firearms.
Bloody good stuff !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 3:03 pm

Good stuff indeed. Got out to the range today after all. I only took the browning and quickly found out how spoiled I was using always using scopes. I couldnt hit s**t! :lol: It's an outdoor range and was bloody windy which makes for some terrible shooting when combined with my inability to hit the side of a barn with open sights. Started to get the hang of it towards the end though. So far I've put CCI standards, CCI quiets, Remington targets and winchester power points through it and it seems to like the Remington's and the winchesters the best but it's honestly not a fair question until I'm more practised using it. At the moment if I said that it's the guns fault I'd be headed straight downstairs to hang out with the devil because that's the biggest lie I've heard in a long time :lol: still bloody stoked with the new additions all things considered :drinks:

Thanks,
Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 3:06 pm

Unfortunately, buying a quality product carefully crafted by talented artisans, does not give guarantee regarding marksmanship ! Lol
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 3:28 pm

juststarting wrote:I have grade 1 BL-22 - love it. Fastest way to go through 200-500 rounds in couple of hours.

Have you ever used it on bunnies JS? Hoping to get out for a hunt this Sunday but unless I can fit some more practice in before hand I won't be taking the browning along.
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by juststarting » 17 Oct 2016, 3:40 pm

Deacon, I haven't had a opportunity. I did use it on some beer cans... But that said, I am in the same boat with open sights. I think it took me better part of 500 rounds to realise how crap I am and learn to shoot with them (under fear of confiscation by Supaduke if I ever to scope this little sucker). At this stage, I am pretty confident with it to 50m with open sights, like a minute of bunny - I'd be okay. But need waaaaay more practice to tighten groups on paper.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 4:07 pm

Yeah I had considered an optic but it just seems wrong to scope up this little lever gun. I only had time to put maybe 100 rounds through it today and I've got bugger all time during the week so I'll have to leave it home for this coming trip unfortunately.
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Supaduke » 17 Oct 2016, 5:15 pm

If you are looking for a .22 tack driver you bought the wrong gun. Levers are never going to have bolt gun accuracy.
If you can comfortably hit a clay target or beer can at 50m with open sights you are within its performance parameters. Shoot em fast, shoot em off hand, shoot em with open sights.

.22 levers are plinkers. Sure you can hunt with one but it will never be as good as a nice bolt gun. Use them for fun stuff and enjoying yourself. If you start chasing tiny groups with a lever it will just do your head in.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Oct 2016, 5:32 pm

Without going to an autoloader, something forbidden to you Australians, the BL-22 is the fastest cycling rifle you'll come across. My dad had one, it was inherited by a brother, and there is no question of how well made and great handling they are. That short lever throw, along with the trigger staying within the lever, makes for quick repeating shots.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by deadkitty » 17 Oct 2016, 5:36 pm

Congrats Deacon, I hope they both serve you well, Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 5:40 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:Without going to an autoloader, something forbidden to you Australians, the BL-22 is the fastest cycling rifle you'll come across.

Not forbidden, just strict qualification criteria.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm

JWH was so very right ....

Semi autos are unnecessary in GENERAL 'life'.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 17 Oct 2016, 6:01 pm

Supaduke, yep. Though if you look at the picture of a can I posted in hunt reports thread, you will notice a pretty tight group with BL-22 :) offhand. LOL
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

I was shooting at about 60m. Definitely me shooting like s**t as opposed to the gun. It was only bought for cheap fun knowing full well there is likely to be 17HMR on the horizon that will be the tack driver if need be. There's really nothing better than a .22 to practice open sights on anyway with ammo being cheap as chips. That's why I don't mind being near useless with it :lol:

Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Oct 2016, 7:27 pm

Can you get a peep sight for it Deacon?
Might be easier to see the foresight.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 17 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

(Best David Attenborough accent)
The mighty beer can is an elusive creature, making its home in fridges. A cold blooded creature, it lives in groups of 6 or 24. Preyed on by humans, the preferred hunting method is quite barbaric. It's head is first ripped off, then its guts are sucked out through the neck. The carcass is then discarded or sometimes shot at.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Oct 2016, 8:13 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Can you get a peep sight for it Deacon?

Actually... Here's a response from andy @ Skinner sights

"I’d go with a 3/8” X .600” front sight for the Browning" (referring to BL-22)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

juststarting wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Can you get a peep sight for it Deacon?

Actually... Here's a response from andy @ Skinner sights

"I’d go with a 3/8” X .600” front sight for the Browning" (referring to BL-22)

Guessing he means one of his blade fore sights with a 3/8" dovetail, 0.6" high. So I suppose he makes a peep for too.

Now back to Deacon and our Regular Programme
No need to buy one. Make (punch) a hole in stiff cardboard and look at the fore sight from a distance of 2 feet. If it looks better, the Skinner should be ok :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles