Lever action smoothness (lack of)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lever action smoothness (lack of)

Post by RealNick » 18 Oct 2016, 8:55 am

I was at my LGS for other stuff on the weekend but just for fun had a handle of the Adler (OMG RAPID FIRE :sarcasm:)

Gotta say, cycling the action was rough. A bit clunky and difference resistance at different points. Unpleasant on the fingers to say the least, wouldn't want to be doing it continually.

I'm not singling out the Adler here or knocking it, it just happens to be the brand I handled. And don't think anything was wrong with the one I handled.

Do they smooth out though? Lever actions in general I mean. Basically with how if felt I'd never want one based on that so just wondering.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lever action smoothness (lack of)

Post by Mitch » 18 Oct 2016, 9:02 am

Mine smoothed out plenty. Gotta remember also that you're moving a huge big action there
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skadoo » 18 Oct 2016, 9:54 am

Buddy up to someone at the range next time you're there who already has a worn-in one :thumbsup:
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by OODAH » 18 Oct 2016, 2:04 pm

The first 25 rounds of mine where terrible, but after that it's only getting better and better.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 18 Oct 2016, 4:55 pm

It seems like the action, over time loosens up. That's to be expected with any gun, but it seems the lever action shotties we're seeing take longer to "break in".
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Browning » 18 Oct 2016, 5:36 pm

It's an $800 gun so naturally it's going to be "rough around the edges".
I actually don't think mine was that difficult to cycle from the beginning.
When a pigs running past you, smoothness of your lever is the last thing on your mind.
They def smooth up over time, but will always be a rattly, rough knock about gun, but that's why u buy them. Mines had performed faultlessly and while it's scratched, ugly, feels like it's going to fall apart, I wouldn't change a thing. It's a tool that does a job and I'd not hesitate to get another one.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by DrDerpy » 18 Oct 2016, 5:37 pm

Man I have a Pardus and for a while there it is stiff as hell.
Oil the s**t out of it and work rounds through it.
Take a bit but it gets better.
DrDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

I don't know about the Adler shotgun, there are not any around that I've seen, since we can have semiautomatics and pump guns there may not be the demand for them. But my question about the Adler is what form of lock up do they employ? Do they utilize a rotating bolt like a Browning BLR, or a tilting block like the Remington pump action 22 rifle?
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 9:56 pm

I was thinking Marlin when I read the title but the Adler is a worthy recipient of lacking action smoothness. The Adler does get better with use though I do recommend wrapping the lever with paracord to save your knuckles. Same goes for the blued versions of Marlin levers, the S/S I hit with the Dremel to remove the edges before polishing. I also disassemble the Marlins and polish the internals with the Dremel and buffing compound, this makes a noticeable difference to smoothing out the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwmRGenaPM
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boatman » 19 Oct 2016, 11:05 am

brett1868 wrote:The Adler does get better with use though I do recommend wrapping the lever with paracord to save your knuckles.

Yeah they're rough on the fingers.

Gloves wanted at least.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles