Lithgow la102 Pics

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow la102 Pics

Post by Pythonkeeper » 25 Oct 2016, 6:27 am

Zeiss 3-9x42 on the .22, Zeiss 4-12x42 on the .243, both base model Terra's with plex reticle, nice clear and simple scopes for hunting.
I was surprised by how smooth the Adler is to cycle after reading all the stories/reviews about them being stiff and clunky, might be different cycling rounds through it but it feels fine at the moment and no sore knuckles thus far, not saying it's a slick action, precision machine, just nicer than expected and from all accounts it should get better with a bit of use. I like the riffle sights on it too, easy to find when bought up to the shoulder quickly.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 30 Oct 2016, 6:04 pm

Set out early this morning with my lithy .308 to try and grab a little 100m section i know of in the bush, the aim was to get some time behind the rifle and confirm my zero from the previous session.

The rifle has some heft about it, weighing in at 3.5kg bare, mine weighs about 4.5kg with all the gear, next is the cock on open action, coming from a 303 lee enfield this takes a little getting used to, not to bad during rapid fire as i work it like i hate it, but if i'm single top loading it needs a little snap to get that bolt up, which is just me, 99% of you will all own cock on open actions.

Another little issue i've been having, which is again, just not being familar with the rifle is during some slow " precision" fire the bolt has a tiny bit of extra travel ( 1cmish ) after it ejects the round, being the good person i am, i pick up all my range produce, which has often through my own fault seen me work the bolt back and catch the ejecting round then going forwards andlocking it down without a round being stripped from the mag, sorted that now however with getting used to full bolt strokes.

The trigger is crisp from factory, with a clean break, you know exactly whats going to happen, for me it's perfect and i'm not going to mess with it. I would of however liked a rounded trigger, the one on the rifle is pretty square.

For those wondering about packaging, it comes in a long box that we're all probably used to, with a lithgow arms cotton rifle slip bag and obviously some intructions, intrestingly, i didn't receive a extra spacer in the box like i did with my la101 not that i think i need it, but its nice to tinker once and place it on the shelf.

Over all i'm extreamly happy with the rifle/setup its built tough, and i don't have to be so precious as i do with wood, and being in the same country, i hope it's not going to be a hastle to get parts should the need ever arise.

Now i'll include some range photos that i'm not that proud of, but i'll keep it real for you guys. The conditions at the time were a little sketchy, but it needed to be done this weekend. There was some light drizzle with about a 30km cross wind, i tried to take shots inbetween the big gusts. As you'll see i shot prone on a bipod, with a rear bag which was set ontop of my chest rig.

I had a packet of federal premium with the 168gn sierra matchking and a pack of ppu 150gn soft nose lets just say i regret cheaping out at the gunshop the day before, some are groups on top of groups, when i ran out of the t spots, scope fine adjustments were made continuously throughout the shoot. The ppu was pretty erratic, and after buying 5 boxes i'll most likely run the federal
Attachments
rps20161030_190539.jpg
rps20161030_190539.jpg (122.14 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
rps20161030_190511.jpg
rps20161030_190511.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
rps20161030_190602.jpg
Setup
rps20161030_190602.jpg (209.07 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by wade06 » 30 Oct 2016, 9:11 pm

Thanks AusTac, nice gun and groups given the conditions. How do you like the safety?
I was looking at the synthetic 243 LA102.
Decided to get a cheap O/U shotgun first then see what happens.

Keep us informed with groups and any issues you have.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 30 Oct 2016, 9:16 pm

What ammo are you using, Aus?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 30 Oct 2016, 9:24 pm

Not crazy about the safety to be honest, would rather the traditional position on the right hand side, but i only use it between shots or if i have to adjust something with one in the tube

These were shot with a box of federal premium with the 168gn sierra's which rifle likes, but at $55 it's up there.. also shot a box of ppu 150gn, and the results say the rest, won't be getting them again for the 308
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Oct 2016, 9:40 pm

Conditions as they were, it would be hard to do a real ammo test but some of those groups show promise!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Oct 2016, 9:43 pm

So, how is the safety set up? Any chance of a close up pic to show us at some stage?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 31 Oct 2016, 3:12 pm

Some of those groups are getting there mate, I'm sure they'd come up plenty tighter on a still day. I didn't get the extra spacer in my 102 box either, did in the 101 though. I wasn't too sure on the safety at first either but after playing with the gun a bit and getting familiar with everything I don't mind it so much.

I got out to a property that I hunt on and sighted my two in and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. The 22 is allot of fun and very accurate, I had it shooting tight groups at 50 in no time and it wasn't real fussy with what I put through it, cci velocitor and mini mag, Winchester power max all shot really well. RWS sub hp went good for quite stuff, tried Remington cbee22 and they went pretty good but through out a few fliers, the wind was pretty shocking too so that may have had an effect. Took it out for a walk that night and bagged 5 foxes, 2 hares and a pussy, missed a couple of foxes and a hare on the first few attempts due to being too eager beaver as well as getting the hang of where to shift my headlamp when bringing rifle to shoulder worked it out in the end though....good fun..
The 243 is a dream to shoot, had it where I wanted it within 5 shots at 50 just to make sure I was on paper, moved out to 100 and after a few quick adjustments had it shooting pretty good with Remington 100 gr but had the odd flier, switched to federal 100's and they held beautifully even in the strong cross wind, made a few adjustments to the scope and got some really nice groups. Then I put some Norma through it and I'm guessing they're a bit of a hotter round as they shot high but still grouped well, they also shot an inch left, whether it was the right to left cross wind effected them or not I'm not 100% sure but after adjusting the scope accordingly I had them shooting where I was aiming, the federal was definitely the pick for me though and I think I'll stick with it for a while.
After sighting in I put a couple of empty fully loaded man cans on a log out at 200 and didn't have a problem putting holes in them, had a few total misses as well.....really enjoyed using both these rifles, was also happy with my performance after not shooting for 20 years, I was a good shot back then but didn't know if I still had it, I reckon shooting and hunting with the bow has helped keep my eye in.
I put a few rounds through the Adler and it's just plain old fun, had a few jams/ejection failures early up using target round but not a single problem with buck shot.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 31 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

Here you go mate, it flicks across 90 to 45 degrees wish with your thumb, rifle is on safe in the pic
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusTac » 31 Oct 2016, 3:38 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:Some of those groups are getting there mate, I'm sure they'd come up plenty tighter on a still day. I didn't get the extra spacer in my 102 box either, did in the 101 though. I wasn't too sure on the safety at first either but after playing with the gun a bit and getting familiar with everything I don't mind it so much.

I got out to a property that I hunt on and sighted my two in and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. The 22 is allot of fun and very accurate, I had it shooting tight groups at 50 in no time and it wasn't real fussy with what I put through it, cci velocitor and mini mag, Winchester power max all shot really well. RWS sub hp went good for quite stuff, tried Remington cbee22 and they went pretty good but through out a few fliers, the wind was pretty shocking too so that may have had an effect. Took it out for a walk that night and bagged 5 foxes, 2 hares and a pussy, missed a couple of foxes and a hare on the first few attempts due to being too eager beaver as well as getting the hang of where to shift my headlamp when bringing rifle to shoulder worked it out in the end though....good fun..
The 243 is a dream to shoot, had it where I wanted it within 5 shots at 50 just to make sure I was on paper, moved out to 100 and after a few quick adjustments had it shooting pretty good with Remington 100 gr but had the odd flier, switched to federal 100's and they held beautifully even in the strong cross wind, made a few adjustments to the scope and got some really nice groups. Then I put some Norma through it and I'm guessing they're a bit of a hotter round as they shot high but still grouped well, they also shot an inch left, whether it was the right to left cross wind effected them or not I'm not 100% sure but after adjusting the scope accordingly I had them shooting where I was aiming, the federal was definitely the pick for me though and I think I'll stick with it for a while.
After sighting in I put a couple of empty fully loaded man cans on a log out at 200 and didn't have a problem putting holes in them, had a few total misses as well.....really enjoyed using both these rifles, was also happy with my performance after not shooting for 20 years, I was a good shot back then but didn't know if I still had it, I reckon shooting and hunting with the bow has helped keep my eye in.
I put a few rounds through the Adler and it's just plain old fun, had a few jams/ejection failures early up using target round but not a single problem with buck shot.

Sounds like someone had fun! Hoping to blood my .308 tomorrow on a deer, and yeah the wind and my s**ty shooting :crazy: i haven't found a spot to push it out yet, hopfully when the weather dies down i might hit the range and really stretch her legs
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 31 Oct 2016, 4:29 pm

Yep I had a blast (pun intended), I love shooting foxes and cats, I was just saying to a mate the day before I left that the property looks very "catty" but appart from finding a skull I've never seen one out there, low and behold I got one the next night and saw another big black b@sturd that I had in my sights twice but he moved before I could get on the trigger, he hid in some grass 10 metres away at one stage then he took the bolt and didn't look back, would have been a good time to have Adler in hand....can't wait to get out again in a few weeks, the 223 should be fitted out by then too ready for a sight in...

The wind is a right pain when sighting in but it definitely helps with real world hunting situations if out doing a bit of target practice when it's a blowie.........good luck with blooding the 308 on a deer, would be an awesome way to open up the account.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 01 Nov 2016, 12:12 pm

Great pics! I'll be picking one of these up when I can get the time/funds. Really happy to have an Aussie made gun.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 17 Nov 2016, 7:09 pm

How'd you go with that deer mate? If no deer, have you got out and put a few more rounds through that bad boy?

I just dropped some coin on another Lithy LA102, this time in 308, went for walnut with black ceracote. Was a toss up between the Steyr pro hunter 308 and the LA102, hard decision to make but the timber stock and black barrel/action was the deciding factor due to all my other rifles being black plastic stock and silver barrel/action I wanted to go with something different....
I briefly toyed with the idea of a Steyr scout but although they are very nice I couldn't justify the $$$$.
Thought about Tikka also but it didn't quite stack up against the others for me personally, still very very nice though and I would happily own one but not my top choice on the day.
Last edited by Pythonkeeper on 18 Nov 2016, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 17 Nov 2016, 7:38 pm

No deer that day unfortunatly, saw some solid sign and a few steaming piles of deer sh*t so all in good time

The cerakote really does it for me personally over the others, tough as!

Tikka and steyr make very nice rifles, but i just couldn't go past the lithgow myself eaither.

Once my wallet has recovered from the jeep mods i'll be hitting the 308 hard
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Lithgow la102 Pi

Post by Pythonkeeper » 18 Nov 2016, 8:09 pm

Always good to see signs of the animal you're hunting even if you don't see the critter itself, keeps you keen for next time.

I'm a big fan of the ceracote too, the Tikka T3x I had my eye on was ceracoted in burnt bronze and has a slicked action but it is nearly $1000 dearer than the La102, I couldn't see that much extra value in the Tikka, super sexy rifle though in both looks and feel.

Don't own any Tikka rifles but do already own both Steyr pro hunter and Lithgow 101 and 102 rifles, no complaints about either brand and knew I wouldn't be disappointed with my decision either way, both are quality units, the decision came down to looks plus I can use my existing 243 mags in the 308 as well and vise versa if I wish to do so which is a welcome bonus, the Aussie made stamp helped it over the line too.....;)
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 Dec 2016, 1:18 am

just wondering if you lot have done any more on these and how they are going accuracy wise

cheers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm

Finally put a scope on my 308 yesterday, Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42.
Attachments
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 4613 times
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Jan 2017, 6:47 pm

Don't know what happened there, double posted and wiped my last post somehow.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 20 Jan 2017, 6:54 pm

nice
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next