New to Shooting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New to Shooting

Post by orca » 22 Oct 2016, 2:02 pm

Hey all.

Recently joined the forum and entered sport target shooting. Maybe in a few years also start hunting.

As a newbie (complete newbie), no one I know shoots or has any knowledge.

Does anyone know where to get some solid information about all things shootung from, rifles, ammo, using a scope etc.

Thanks!
orca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New to Shooting

Post by p3seven » 22 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

Welcome, This site is very good. Read the older postings in your field of interest

The internet especially, YouTube. Google your questions and read the answers. Beware the first lot of answers are generally paid advertisments. Do not believe everything you see or hear on Google, check.

Magazines are good. At the range talk to the guys. Look for the seeming approachable people. Ask simple questions they will generally offer suggestions or point you to people that have the knowledge.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 22 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm

Plenty of info here, but try to make questions specific if possible.

First and most important thing, though, is safety. Remember, all firearms are loaded and ready to fire, even when they're not.
Safeties aren't infallible, don't trust them.
Never point the business end at anything you don't want dead or destroyed, even if unloaded.
Always check behind and around your target and make sure your bullet can't do damage if you miss.
Always be 200% sure you have identified your target and it can't be anything but your target.
A firearm is loaded, even ifyou know it isn't.
And a firearm is always loaded, even if you know it isn't.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Oct 2016, 5:39 pm

:welcome: Orca, Yep plenty of info here, make use of the search bar on the right.

Plenty of info here too. https://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hunting.html
Last edited by Oldbloke on 22 Oct 2016, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Oct 2016, 6:46 pm

Where are you located? might me able to point you in the right direction in relation to clubs, shops etc tec. Also what are your interests in the shooting sports?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 22 Oct 2016, 8:16 pm

Welcome to the forum !

As said by sandgroperbill... Make safety your first priority, at all times.. :thumbsup:

Always point firearms in a safe direction, the prevailing circumstances will dictate where that is. That way if for any reason you had an unintended discharge, the projectile would be much less likely to cause harm..

When I was involved in firearms training, I used to tell students to visualise a laser beam coming out of the barrel at all times and anything it touches would be in harms way ( The idea was to make them muzzle conscious and keep their mind focused on where it was pointing at all times ).. Also remember to identify your target and consider what is beyond it, resolve absolutely all doubt that it would be safe to fire or simply do not do so..

If you end up getting into hunting then you need to make sure that you manage the excitement that you will experience when an opportunity to take a shot presents itself..! You will always get another opportunity to fire at a safe target..!

Be trigger conscious ( sights on "properly identified safe" target finger on trigger, sights of target finger off trigger )...

Just a few things to consider..

Be Safe and Happy Shooting :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Browning » 22 Oct 2016, 10:01 pm

Ditto to where are u located? A lot of members on here will be happy to hook up at a range and lend a hand.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Oct 2016, 12:32 am

Orca: Welcome to the sport and the forum. I'm going to agree with the others here who urge safety as your primary concern. I will also agree with the comment that this forum can be a source of information, as can the internet which includes but is not limited to You Tube. You will notice that I am an American and as such I'll suggest you check out what The National Rifle Association of America has to offer, I'm including a link to the NRA's page covering Gun Safety Rules.

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

You may wish to browse what instruction manuals they have available as well. Please note that those marked restricted are marked so because they are for sale to Certified instructors that will b teaching a class as oppose to an individual. I would assume that any of the manuals that are offered could be sold and shipped to Australia.

Lastly ask the shooters at the range you'll find that for the most part they'll be more than happy to talk to you.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by orca » 24 Oct 2016, 4:34 pm

Hey all.

Thanks for all the replies. Bit overwhelmed with all the support and responses actually ahaha. I'll make sure I use this forum and other places online!

Thanks for the tips and safety info. I've done a course on it aswell and its always good to refresh and have a new way to think of it by (lasers).

I'm located in Sydneys West, and I've joined up to SSAA St Marys branch. Interested in the sport for a few reasons just being a skill that you could work on and get better, while being enjoyable. Down the track it may open up opportunities to hunt aswell, which would be a essential life skill.

FYI - Buying a rifle soon (few weeks).

Thanks again for the responses! Really helped in me feeling welcome!
orca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Oct 2016, 5:00 pm

A few of us on here shoot at St Mary's so you're welcome to drop me a pm if you need someone to show you the ropes at the range. The boys out there are pretty good but also fanatics on safety and not backward tapping you on the shoulder if the see anything unsafe. Wylie, Pomemax and myself all shoot pistol out there so don't restrict yourself to just rifles :) Plenty of good advice on here about rifles once you have an idea of what you're looking to achieve with your shooting. Where are you upto in relation to your license and PTA's ?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by orca » 28 Oct 2016, 4:04 am

Yea thanks for that! I'll take that offer up sooner or later.
I've been shooting there twice already, first time with a SSAA .22 rifle,then also with a friend with his rifles. I'm fully licensed to fire A and B firearms.And have finished the basic safety course and such. I've also obtained a permit to buy firearms, so within the next few weeks I will buy a rifle. I also do wwant to go into pistol shooting but the amount of paperwork and waiting periods turned me off it for now.
orca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 28 Oct 2016, 6:17 am

orca wrote: I also do want to go into pistol shooting but the amount of paperwork and waiting periods turned me off it for now.

Somewhere there is a anti gun pollie fist pumping the air and high fiving his cronie mates
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 28 Oct 2016, 8:53 am

Why do you keep saying 'hunting, maybe few years later'? Just go explore the bush and shoot some dinner :) Why wait for years?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 28 Oct 2016, 11:30 am

Supaduke wrote:
orca wrote: I also do want to go into pistol shooting but the amount of paperwork and waiting periods turned me off it for now.

Somewhere there is a anti gun pollie fist pumping the air and high fiving his cronie mates

lol this exactly! that might well have been part of their political goal to snuff out all forms of a gun culture in Australia. To make the process of achieving a pistol license so glacial and painful that many just give up in frustration. I know of a few such cases. It's like we almost need a support group, call it FA (Firearms Anonymous? too aggressive?) where we get together each week and tell each other to just 'hang in there' :P
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 28 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

Yep, I am a such case...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 28 Oct 2016, 3:22 pm

juststarting wrote:Yep, I am a such case...

:cry: would you ever try again?
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 28 Oct 2016, 6:10 pm

Yep, definitely. Just a bit time poor right now.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Oct 2016, 1:13 am

juststarting wrote:Why do you keep saying 'hunting, maybe few years later'? Just go explore the bush and shoot some dinner :) Why wait for years?

You all have "McDonalds" and "Pizza Huts" roaming around in the bush???
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 29 Oct 2016, 1:27 am

Yes, but only in the a precursor ingredient form :D
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 29 Oct 2016, 10:02 am

IMG_0097.JPG
Beware the ninja pickle
IMG_0097.JPG (22.4 KiB) Viewed 3295 times

Aim for the head ....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by orca » 01 Nov 2016, 3:58 pm

Yea sucks that the anti-gun pollies actually have made it difficult for that purpose.
Hunting in a year to a few just so I know to use my rifle, safely, use a scope, practice shooting accurately and getting a license for it. Real keen though.
orca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 01 Nov 2016, 4:30 pm

orca wrote:Yea sucks that the anti-gun pollies actually have made it difficult for that purpose.
Hunting in a year to a few just so I know to use my rifle, safely, use a scope, practice shooting accurately and getting a license for it. Real keen though.

Meh, less than a year to do everything you think will take a couple (assuming you get consistent range).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by agentzero » 02 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:You all have "McDonalds" and "Pizza Huts" roaming around in the bush???

There are some Maccas in pretty out-there places :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles