A lot of women seem to hate guns?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

A lot of women seem to hate guns?

Post by colinbentley » 23 Oct 2016, 9:40 am

Maybe hate is too strong a word. But over the years a number of ladies have said to me "I don't like guns".Maybe what they mean is ....I don't like men with guns. How anyone not like an inanimate object. Maybe a psychologist can elaborate. And please don't accuse me of being sexist. In Australia we have had more deaths on football fields than at shooting ranges ! It's good to see more young people, especially women,getting involved in shooting and hey a young lady even won a Gold Medal at the Olympics. Many years ago I invited two lady friend to join me for the day at the Little River Range. Neither had ever fired a gun and they both loved it. Only very recently I was talking to one who told how much she had enjoyed it. It's jus a pity a few crazies and ratbags and bad press have coloured public opinion against what is a very interesting and challenging part of Australian culture. Now I'll get off my soapbox !
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Why do women hate guns ?

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2016, 9:46 am

colinbentley wrote:Maybe hate is too strong a word. But over the years a number of ladies have said to me "I don't like guns".Maybe what they mean is ....I don't like men with guns. How anyone not like an inanimate object. Maybe a psychologist can elaborate. And please don't accuse me of being sexist. In Australia we have had more deaths on football fields than at shooting ranges ! It's good to see more young people, especially women,getting involved in shooting and hey a young lady even won a Gold Medal at the Olympics. Many years ago I invited two lady friend to join me for the day at the Little River Range. Neither had ever fired a gun and they both loved it. Only very recently I was talking to one who told how much she had enjoyed it. It's jus a pity a few crazies and ratbags and bad press have coloured public opinion against what is a very interesting and challenging part of Australian culture. Now I'll get off my soapbox !

I can't say I've seen this myself. I tend to find it's blokes that are more likely to sneer when I tell them I'm a firearms owner. Women do as well, but I think men are worse. I do find women are a bit more apprehensive about actually handling them but it seems to be more of a lack of mechanical aptitude than fear, similar to teaching women to ride a motorcycle. They tend to want to think about it a bit more before actually having a go.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 23 Oct 2016, 10:03 am

fastest growing group of shooters here are woman and most are shooting hand guns and woman seem to take it more serious they wll put money down for training and
put groups together for it.
this past weeknd there was a group takeing a defensive shot gun course
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

wrenchman wrote:fastest growing group of shooters here are woman and most are shooting hand guns and woman seem to take it more serious they wll put money down for training and
put groups together for it.
this past weeknd there was a group takeing a defensive shot gun course

This is true, here in America, and I have had the opportunity to shoot with a fair number of women, in Cowboy Action Shooting, and to be out shot by them.

Other wise the feelings of the women in my extended family have, ranged from totally ambivalent to active participant is shooting with the ambivalent being the case with my mother, my ex-wife, and one sister-in-law. With varying degrees of participation by two nieces and one sister-in-law.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Rob81 » 23 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

I love my better half. She has gone out and got her own license then bought all her own firearms. Always willing to try new things and I'm yet to see her try something that she don't like.
Rob81
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Oct 2016, 11:30 am

Some women hate guns.... because theyve 'learnt' how bad they are...

Some women hate them until they actually shoot one, and then THEY get that rush...and want their own.

of course the only thing worse than a woman who hates guns...... is a 'man' who hates them - a sign of full emasculation.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by colinbentley » 23 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

Genesis 93.......I like your answer !
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Boo » 23 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

A lot of the hate comes from the demonising of guns for political purposes and the consequential bandwagoning by those who like to think they are in accord with the good majority. But one result from the publicity guns receive is, I believe, more people being interested in shooting as a sport, any publicity is good publicity.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 23 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

Ever since i got an interest in guns my wife has been so anti gun it aint funny, she never wanted them in the house or wanted our kids to go near them.
But after going camping a weeks back and i finally convinced her to have a go. Now she wants her licence and her own 22lr.
Ofcourse we had strict rules which were told to everybody as a group as we were camping with our kids and friends kids too.
Im guessing thats the reason shes changed her mind as she can see with proper guidance and responsible people they are ALOT of fun.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm

My missus is ok with guns. :thumbsup:

But if anyone asks me "why would anyone hate guns?" I'd say because they are retarded.

There is no excuse to hate guns, if someone is killed by a car is it rational to hate cars ?
Perhaps it's more rational to hate the behavior or decision making that lead to the accident. :unknown:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

I think that what the ladies don't like is their men buggering off into the bush for a few days hunting and they're stuck at home! So, take 'em with you!!

Actually, I'm surprised at the increasing number of Ladies at SSAA Belmont range shooting targets and with some large calibre firearms too, no pissy little 22s.
I've read somewhere that the number of ladies joining the sport is growing rapidly. Great to see!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2016, 4:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I think that what the ladies don't like is their men buggering off into the bush for a few days hunting and they're stuck at home! So, take 'em with you!!

Actually, I'm surprised at the increasing number of Ladies at SSAA Belmont range shooting targets and with some large calibre firearms too, no pissy little 22s.
I've read somewhere that the number of ladies joining the sport is growing rapidly. Great to see!

Yep was at little river a few weeks ago and range officer told me heaps of women are joining. And generally very good shots. Good to see.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Oct 2016, 4:20 pm

All the women in my immediate family own firearms (wife and 2 daughters) :thumbsup:

They just need to be shown how much fun they can be (my wife wasn't real sure at first) but once she had a shot of my 22-250 and put some decent groups in she was sold, soon after she had her first rifle, the kids were the same, they enjoyed it so ended up getting firearms of their own to use. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ICEng » 23 Oct 2016, 6:05 pm

All our females in our workshop love firearms and shooting....but we may be biased :lol:
Ignition Custom Engineering - manufacuring gunsmiths & firearm services
www.iceng.com.au | Ph 0402219831 | sales@iceng.com.au
ICEng
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 23 Oct 2016, 6:42 pm

Colin, how big is your sample, mate? I just thought about it... I am struggling to think of a woman that I know who dislikes guns. My niece was the one asking to go to the range, for example, blasted through all 308 ammo I had and then looked really confused after shooting a .22 (like, is this on...), promptly went back to 308. One of my friends dislikes guns but I know the reason and can't blame her... Other than that i like to think I have a pretty big network of friends and acquaintances and all of them either have guns or love shooting them at the range. Ergo, my question.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 23 Oct 2016, 6:45 pm

P.s. Springvale shooting range is another example, generally an equal mix of genders.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 23 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

Mongrel wrote:Ever since i got an interest in guns my wife has been so anti gun it aint funny, she never wanted them in the house or wanted our kids to go near them.
But after going camping a weeks back and i finally convinced her to have a go. Now she wants her licence and her own 22lr.
Ofcourse we had strict rules which were told to everybody as a group as we were camping with our kids and friends kids too.
Im guessing thats the reason shes changed her mind as she can see with proper guidance and responsible people they are ALOT of fun.

Identical to me, lol. Noticed her getting into an argument with an anti who she realised was talking bs, a proud mental tear ran down my cheek.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 23 Oct 2016, 6:58 pm

It really isn't a sample.......just comments I've had over the years.I am an old bloke so maybe it's changing. Hopefully so . Someone thought the topic was pointless and provocative. And so it is.....but being provocative is part of the fun of this site. Isn't it ?
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Oct 2016, 7:51 pm

colinbentley wrote:It really isn't a sample.......just comments I've had over the years.I am an old bloke so maybe it's changing. Hopefully so . Someone thought the topic was pointless and provocative. And so it is.....but being provocative is part of the fun of this site. Isn't it ?

Bloody oath Col - it works for me :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 23 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

people in general can be brainwashed to fear what they don't understand, politicians and the media is great at it. I'm yet to meet someone who's prepared to try shooting and doesn't enjoy it and say "I don't know what I was scared of"

Take them out and let them try and hit a clay with a shotgun or knock over a steel chicken with a .22 off the bench and they'll change their tune given the chance

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2016, 8:22 pm

ICEng wrote:All our females in our workshop love firearms and shooting....but we may be biased :lol:

:welcome: to the forum.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 6:33 am

This one likes Guns *and* Roses.
Attachments
x354-q80.jpg
x354-q80.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 24 Oct 2016, 7:11 am

Women who love women hate guns.
I've got 2 ladies keen to learn shooting, 1 is mad keen to try clays after Australia's gold medal my a lady in Trap shooting. The other I have pointed towards the try pistol shooting program at St Mary's. Even if neither of them take up the sport then it's still a victory as at least they'll get an education and better understanding of the sporting side of firearms.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Oct 2016, 8:21 am

brett1868 wrote:Women who love women hate guns.
I've got 2 ladies keen to learn shooting, 1 is mad keen to try clays after Australia's gold medal my a lady in Trap shooting. The other I have pointed towards the try pistol shooting program at St Mary's. Even if neither of them take up the sport then it's still a victory as at least they'll get an education and better understanding of the sporting side of firearms.

After every comm or ollies, there is ALWAY a surge in memberships, and 'try outs' of shooting..... I reckon the SSAA and other clubs 'bank' on the membership increases...(always a good thing, more shooters, obviously)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

happyhunter wrote:This one likes Guns *and* Roses.

I'm highly offended by the depiction of that tshirt... could someone please ask her the remove the depiction of roses?

...a simple horizontal cut just under the gun barrels would be appropriate. :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Boo » 24 Oct 2016, 8:35 am

Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

My missus likes guns. She likes watching movie and TV shows with gun violence, specially movies about hit men and bank robberies. It has me a little worried.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Oct 2016, 9:15 am

happyhunter wrote:My missus likes guns. She likes watching movie and TV shows with gun violence, specially movies about hit men and bank robberies. It has me a little worried.

Why? does she take notes?? :lol: :wtf:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 9:23 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
happyhunter wrote:My missus likes guns. She likes watching movie and TV shows with gun violence, specially movies about hit men and bank robberies. It has me a little worried.

Why? does she take notes?? :lol: :wtf:

Something to to with marathon sessions watching violent shows. Other week it was two series of Narcos on netflix, back to back. I'm starting to think it's BPD with OCPD traits and we have a lot of knves around the house :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by juststarting » 24 Oct 2016, 9:28 am

Wife absolutely loves the 91/30 with a bayonet attached. Not big on modern stuff. Savage :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles