Steyrs pro hunter 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Steyrs pro hunter 223

Post by Garth » 23 Oct 2016, 7:15 pm

Buying one hope there as good as they say
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Steyrs pro hunter 223

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 Oct 2016, 7:34 pm

I had a look at one in stainless .223 the other day and it was very nice, love the look of the spiralled barrel, seriously considering getting one. The bloke I regularly deal with at the shop raves about them and is getting one himself, he's always seemed pretty genuine and I value his opinion which might help me with my decision over the others I'm considering.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Smokey » 23 Oct 2016, 11:08 pm

They are an excellent riffle, The Volvo of the gun world.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time, We would.
Smokey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 24 Oct 2016, 6:18 am

Smokey wrote:They are an excellent riffle, The Volvo of the gun world.

I hope the "drivers" are better than Volvo drivers! :shock: :shock: :lol: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 24 Oct 2016, 6:24 am

I was thinking along the same lines after smokeys post DK, if I buy one I'll be safe in a crash and called a "Bloody Steyr Shooter"...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 24 Oct 2016, 7:46 am

Volvos became cool around the turn of the century. Camrys are the new Volvos. Camry drivers are the worst.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Oct 2016, 7:55 am

We had an old saying about bad drivers....
Hat drivers, bad.
Volvo drivers, bad.
Fish drivers (Christian fish sticker), bad.
Farmers, bad.

The worst driver imaginable:

"It was a female Asian farmer wearing a hat, on Sunday, with a moustache, driving a Volvo with a fish sticker on the rear window."

Anyhoo...
Those Steyers should be very nice!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Garth » 24 Oct 2016, 9:10 am

Cheers guys
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bosbefok » 24 Oct 2016, 11:45 am

Any opinions on a CZ 527 223 over a steyr? About the same price. Accuracy my main concern.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 24 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

Both capable of excellent accuracy. It's more an ergonomics and aesthetics thing between those two rifles. Pick the one you think is prettier
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Kater » 24 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm

Smokey wrote:They are an excellent riffle, The Volvo of the gun world.

So they're good if you're riding one and you crash it? :lol:

Is this like rifle quidditch :mrgreen:
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 26 Oct 2016, 8:02 pm

I bought one of these home today, really impressed with it, fits me perfectly from an ergonomic point of view, love the way it looks and feels and I bet it shoots good too. The trigger is awesome, action is smooth and the safety is pretty damn cool too both the position and functionality. The whole unit is a really well thought out design imo. Just waiting on some mounts to come in stock so I can fit the scope, 4-12x42 Zeiss, so can't take it for a razz this weekend, not to worry though as I've got a couple of other new rifles to run in that should keep me occupied for a while...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Oct 2016, 9:49 pm

I believe the Styers are made at the Lithgow Factory, anyone confirm if that's the case?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 26 Oct 2016, 10:01 pm

I thought they were manufactured in Austria. The Lithgows seem to have been inspired by some of the Steyr design aspects though, along with the Tikka T3's, bit of a pro hunter/t3 hybrid....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2016, 5:40 am

Pythonkeeper wrote:I thought they were manufactured in Austria. The Lithgows seem to have been inspired by some of the Steyr design aspects though, along with the Tikka T3's, bit of a pro hunter/t3 hybrid....

Not 100% sure mate, my mate mentioned that they were coming out of the Lithgow factory to me the other day (he knew I was looking for a new pig stopper and reckoned there were great shooters. I personally don't like the looks of the stock so never bothered with it and I think it was heavier than what I was wanting too, either way I'm sure it will be a quality bit of kit and well worth owning. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

Our good friends at google tell me they are manufactured in Austria.
They are a bit on the heavy side bigfella but a bit lighter than the Lithy's I reckon, I don't mind the weight though. They aren't everyone's cup of tea in the looks department but they float my boat, much like the Lithy, different strokes and all that....what really sold me on the Steyr more than anything was the way it fits my frame, such a comfortable well balanced rifle for me personally, couple that with reviews of excellent accuracy and I just had to have one...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2016, 1:23 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:Our good friends at google tell me they are manufactured in Austria.
They are a bit on the heavy side bigfella but a bit lighter than the Lithy's I reckon, I don't mind the weight though. They aren't everyone's cup of tea in the looks department but they float my boat, much like the Lithy, different strokes and all that....what really sold me on the Steyr more than anything was the way it fits my frame, such a comfortable well balanced rifle for me personally, couple that with reviews of excellent accuracy and I just had to have one...

Yeah mine found the same mate, not sure where or how he came to the conclusion they were made in Lithgow (might have been the Steyr 88's he was thinking of?) either don't really matter to me where things are made these days just so long as they are well made,

She will serve you well for sure, I do like their safety setup, locks the bolt in place etc, should prevent em from falling out like some apparently do and the mags seem well made too from the vids I've seen.

I look forward to seeing how it shoots mate when you get it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Nov 2016, 7:29 am

Finally got out to shoot this thing on the weekend, it shoots amazingly accurate, I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 fixed on top zeroed in at 200 metres, the whole setup is a dream to use. Put the Aussie Outback 55gr blitz king through it and don't think I'll ever need to use anything else. Dropped a few big kangabunnies at farmers request, all headshot out past 200 (range finder confirmed) and they dropped on the spot as they should.....very happy with it...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2016, 7:50 am

Sounds good to me mate, now all you have to do is buy the ammo in bulk so you have plenty for the years ahead. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by nightpusher1 » 30 Nov 2016, 12:47 pm

Supaduke wrote:Volvos became cool around the turn of the century. Camrys are the new Volvos. Camry drivers are the worst.

Volvos are only cool if you are an IT geek or an accountant out for a 40km/hr Sunday blast.
nightpusher1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ten » 30 Nov 2016, 4:02 pm

I own a Pro Varmint .223 and it is pure class. Ten shot .5" groups at 100yds and an absolutely sublime trigger. Ten.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Nov 2016, 5:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds good to me mate, now all you have to do is buy the ammo in bulk so you have plenty for the years ahead. :thumbsup:

Already onto it mate, at $139 for a box of 200 I can't go wrong, been buying a box every week, all adds up pretty quick, been buying a brick a week for the Lithy .22 LA101 too, happens to really like the Federal American eagle in both 38 gr hollow and 40 grain solid, $45 or so for a brick of 400 and 500.....winning..... :thumbsup:
I wish .243 rounds were cheaper though :thumbsdown:
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Garth » 05 Dec 2016, 3:33 pm

Well got my steyr pro hunter 223 every bit as good as I thought dam accurate very happy the 70 gn projectile work really good out of it.only prob 4 round msg only down fall
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Hatter » 12 Dec 2016, 2:06 pm

Spare mag, not the end of the world ;)
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lumbajak » 15 Jan 2018, 5:53 am

Any more updates on these fellas ? Played with one on the weekend and started to get the tingle :D
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fxol » 15 Jan 2018, 7:38 am

I own a few. shoot like stink.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2018, 8:11 am

How much?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Jan 2018, 9:00 am

Not cheap but there is one on special at Claytons the guy was really trying to get me to buy it. I was put off by a few of the propriety features. Only mage that will work is a Steyr and there seemed to be safety after safety.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Lumbajak » 15 Jan 2018, 10:03 am

Yeah tossing up between the 223 hunter heavy barrel and the 22 250 Varmint...
does anyone have a Steyr in the 250 and will it stabilise the 53vmax? Have read that the 12 twist barrel will do it in a 250? SF.99 I believe.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fxol » 15 Jan 2018, 12:52 pm

Lumbajak,

I have the 250, pretty sure it grouped 60gr Nosler BT's. Was a whie ago. I shot 55 gr SBK's no worries - it's 1:12 so will be fine
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles