Buying online. Good or bad?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Buying online. Good or bad?

Post by alby » 24 Oct 2016, 6:49 pm

Hi All.

Long story short, I've been out of the game about 20 years but now have my licence again (photo tomorrow then PTA's go in).

I'm now starting to look at what's around. I'm a good hour or more from closest LGS so most looking has been online. Looking at buying used 22 and shottie initially.

Just wondering if online buying has any pitfalls you guys might be aware of. Any tips tricks or experiences you've had good or bad would be appreciated.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Buying online. Good or bad?

Post by in2anity » 24 Oct 2016, 7:03 pm

Yeah that's a tough one - it's a risk no doubt. Ask the seller to take photos of the important bits like the crown, barrel (yes use a proper camera), throat, bolt face, bolt, action etc. Try buy from a dealer with a good rep. Phone him up to try and gauge if he's truthful. I think you'd have to be unlucky to buy a lemon so long as you got the facts. And think about how easy it would be to fix if it is a lemon.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Oct 2016, 7:07 pm

alby wrote:Hi All.

Long story short, I've been out of the game about 20 years but now have my licence again (photo tomorrow then PTA's go in).

I'm now starting to look at what's around. I'm a good hour or more from closest LGS so most looking has been online. Looking at buying used 22 and shottie initially.

Just wondering if online buying has any pitfalls you guys might be aware of. Any tips tricks or experiences you've had good or bad would be appreciated.

Never had any problems with online myself.
Firearms have to be picked up from a dealer so it's hard to screw it up too badly.
Ammunition, powder and primers can't be shipped without paying for dangerous goods tickets, so generally have to be picked up from a firearms dealer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 24 Oct 2016, 7:12 pm

Buying online is the only way to buy something "privately" but you'll have to pay shipping and transfer so that may negate any potential savings

Without "online" purchases your limited to what your LGS carries or can order in but you'll save a bit without having to pay shipping and the extra transfer fee

I wouldn't be too worried about throat and bolt face pics on a .22 or shotty, mainly look at the timber and rust on the metalwork, often described as "worn bluing" that just means they've rubbed the rust off Hahahaha

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 25 Oct 2016, 3:36 pm

There is a code requiring appropriate words which accurately describe the condition of a weapon so in theory all guns described as, say, 'good' would be in a similar condition. If for example a gun described as 'good' had a worn out barrel you would be entitled to a refund.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Oct 2016, 11:16 pm

There is no "code" in the second-hand online market in Australia. SSAA have description guidelines but they are not generally used. "entitled to a refund" Good luck getting one off a private seller. It comes down to personal perception and knowledge. What one bloke calls "good condition" could be described by another as "worn out".
Try to get good quality photos and ask the seller directly about ACTUAL condition.. If you are still unsure ask them to take it to a dealer for a once-over and speak with them. I've seen guns bought on "Ab"usedguns that were complete pieces of junk but described as being in "good shootable condition".
Newsflash, some blokes LIE. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 26 Oct 2016, 6:22 am

I'd take the punt of a modern production rifle/shotgun that looks ok, but thats about it, i bought two 303's online once but went to the blokes house to check them out first which was handy
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gregg » 26 Oct 2016, 3:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:Ammunition, powder and primers can't be shipped without paying for dangerous goods tickets, so generally have to be picked up from a firearms dealer.

To expand on that slightly, it can actually be shipped no problem but usually isn't economically viable as I think you don't get much change back from $100 for a DG ticket.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by alby » 26 Oct 2016, 4:03 pm

Thanks guys. I'd probably only buy from a dealer online so that would increase my chances of having any recourse I guess. My needs are simple ATM so I'll check out my LGS first. That being said, I bought a 5 gun safe to hold the 2 guns I plan on getting and am looking for another safe lol. I know me all too well :lol:
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2016, 4:07 pm

alby wrote:Thanks guys. I'd probably only buy from a dealer online so that would increase my chances of having any recourse I guess. My needs are simple ATM so I'll check out my LGS first. That being said, I bought a 5 gun safe to hold the 2 guns I plan on getting and am looking for another safe lol. I know me all too well :lol:

I bought a ten-rifle safe...that has twelve stuffed in it now...so I'm ordering a 20-rifle safe next week to augment it :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boo » 26 Oct 2016, 4:33 pm

Gamerancher wrote:There is no "code" in the second-hand online market in Australia. SSAA have description guidelines but they are not generally used. "entitled to a refund" Good luck getting one off a private seller. It comes down to personal perception and knowledge. What one bloke calls "good condition" could be described by another as "worn out".
..............................:

It must have been the SSAA one I was thinking of, knew there would be a correction forth coming if I was wrong though :twisted: Yeh, I would not buy a gun online without some sort of guarantee from a reputable dealer, it probably would be OK most times but there is always the chance that you get someone else's problem.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Oct 2016, 4:52 pm

Wasn't trying to be nasty, just putting the warning out there. I've been caught myself a couple of times with old lever-guns. Sellers idea of "good" and mine are worlds apart. Good thing they were cheap and only being bought for parts anyway. Have seen a couple of mates totally ripped though, bulged barrels, worn out barrels and "slicked" actions that were actually completely ruined by some "expert". We don't call that website "junkguns" for no reason. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 26 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

I said it once, I'll say it again, ask for photos. Dealers should always take the time to do this. If they take the time to do this, it's generally a good indication that the rifle is how they described.

If a private seller isn't going to bother doing this then in my books stay clear - in fact as others have pointed out, I'd only ever buy from a dealer privately, after all it's their reputation on the line. Also at least you have some consumer rights buying through a dealer.

It's all about minimizing the risk of getting ripped - disagree with me all you want but you are kidding yourself if you think every seller out there is going to be honest. Quite the opposite I think, particularly in the metropolitan areas. Every step should be taken to try squeeze out the truth.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles