Marlin Model 30GT

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin Model 30GT

Post by Deacon » 26 Oct 2016, 1:57 pm

Hey all,
A bloke at my local range is selling one of these for around $500. I had previously never heard of them so does anybody know much about them? How do they compare to a regular 336? or the Winchester 94 for that matter? The seller is a great guy and a range officer so I have no doubts about the quality. I've been after 30-30 or .357 lever gun for a while now and i gotta say this is very tempting. Especially considering a new 336 is just shy of a grand.

Thanks,
Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Marlin Model 30GT

Post by Supaduke » 26 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

If it's anything like a 30a it's the predecessor to the 336 and has a forend cap rather than a band. Built old school to a standard not a price. If it's in good nick it's probably a good buy.

Edit: A quick google revealed it was introduced in 1979 and only manufactured till 1980. It has a straight stock instead of a pistol grip and full length mag. Good rifles
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 03 Dec 2016, 5:07 pm

If anyone is interested I ended up grabbing it. As superduke said it is straight stock (texan) version of the 336 produced with Glenfield branding in 1979-1980. Hence the GT, Glenfield-texan. There were only about 7,500 made. Its got cheaper furniture and pressed checkering compared to the normal 336. Has a relatively short 18.5 inch barrel with a full length tube mag that holds 6+1.

Mine has a williams peep sight rail on it and is in pretty good nick. The photos make it look more worn than it really is, although it is a bit rattly and you notice the difference in the checking quality. Stangely enough, the inlay with the deer seems quite well done despite being right next to the pretty ordinary checkering. Unfortunately im yet to get out and shoot it. Hopefully next week/weekend sometime. This is also the first time in a few months I have only been waiting on one PTA at a time :lol: Anyway, some pics

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 1955 times

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1955 times

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Thanks
Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by in2anity » 03 Dec 2016, 6:10 pm

The marlins with forend cap often group tighter than the banded versions, you might have picked up a bargain! Now to see what ammo she likes - make sure you post a range report!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 06 Dec 2016, 10:46 am

Deacon wrote:The photos make it look more worn than it really is, although it is a bit rattly and you notice the difference in the checking quality.

A bit of a sand and fresh stain will make it sparkle :mrgreen:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles