Thoughs on a howa 1500 walnut .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Thoughs on a howa 1500 walnut .223

Post by Borgie97 » 02 Nov 2016, 4:06 pm

Thank you very much mate
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 02 Nov 2016, 4:10 pm

Whats the application reference number?
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 02 Nov 2016, 4:33 pm

Never mind mate found it
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 03 Nov 2016, 9:15 pm

Getting the howa 1500 in 223. Gonna give my brother the money and hes gonna buy it for me and keep it in his name till my my licence gets approved! Me and the bro will be able to get into some dingoes sooner!
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 03 Nov 2016, 9:17 pm

Will only be using it when he is with me
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2016, 5:02 am

Borgie97 wrote:Getting the howa 1500 in 223. Gonna give my brother the money and hes gonna buy it for me and keep it in his name till my my licence gets approved! Me and the bro will be able to get into some dingoes sooner!

How much will it cost you to transfer it back into your name?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scotty87 » 04 Nov 2016, 5:18 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Borgie97 wrote:Getting the howa 1500 in 223. Gonna give my brother the money and hes gonna buy it for me and keep it in his name till my my licence gets approved! Me and the bro will be able to get into some dingoes sooner!

Cost of the PTA and dealers brokerage fee, so around $80 I would reckon. Id probably do the same as the OP in his case as the wait on a licence through QLD weapons licencing can be brutal.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2016, 5:28 am

scotty87 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Cost of the PTA and dealers brokerage fee, so around $80 I would reckon. Id probably do the same as the OP in his case as the wait on a licence through QLD weapons licencing can be brutal.

I wouldn't pay personally, I'm a patient man these days thank god (wasn't when I was younger of course) but as you get older you learn to be more tolerant and patient, especially when it comes to anything to do with a Gov't Dept. :silent:

Just checked my PTA app on line and it's been issued so all good, probably see it sometime next week I guess. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 04 Nov 2016, 6:11 am

I'd do the same thing borgie... What scope will you get. Post pics and your opinion when you get it. :thumbsup:
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2016, 6:17 am

wade06 wrote:I'd do the same thing borgie... What scope will you get. Post pics and your opinion when you get it. :thumbsup:

Can he legally use it if he doesn't have his license yet? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Borgie97 » 04 Nov 2016, 7:08 am

Iv got a refield revolutin 4-12x40 for it, im getting the howa 1500 walnut 223. Im good mates with my local coppa and he knows i dont have my licence yet and that me and the brother go shooting and he hasnt said a thing?
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 04 Nov 2016, 8:40 am

Yeah, that's all legit then.. hahahaha :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wade06 » 04 Nov 2016, 10:57 am

bigfellascott wrote: Can he legally use it if he doesn't have his license yet? :unknown:

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/fees/faqs/licencefaqs.htm

Can an unlicensed family member use my firearm?

No. However, there are circumstances under which a person who is not licensed is eligible to be issued with a licence to possess or use a weapon. These include Sections 52, 53 and 54 of the Weapons Act 1990.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 04 Nov 2016, 10:59 am

nah mate.. being good mates with a coppa is as good as having a license :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2016, 11:37 am

wade06 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote: Can he legally use it if he doesn't have his license yet? :unknown:

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/fees/faqs/licencefaqs.htm

Can an unlicensed family member use my firearm?

No. However, there are circumstances under which a person who is not licensed is eligible to be issued with a licence to possess or use a weapon. These include Sections 52, 53 and 54 of the Weapons Act 1990.

Looks like he will be fine to shoot until his license shows up :friends:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Borgie97 » 05 Nov 2016, 11:12 am

Ended up getting a howa 1500 stainless .223 with black houge stock
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2016, 7:21 pm

Borgie97 wrote:Ended up getting a howa 1500 stainless .223 with black houge stock

Enjoy it mate, never liked their plastic stocks, I always just buy the Barrelled Actions and import a Boyds stock myself. They shoot ok out of the box but shoot a lot better with handloads (as do 99% of rifles).

Don't forget to let us know how it goes and if you find the trigger too heavy let me know and I will give you some info on Glen Coughlan (Ebay Trigger Guy) he sorts em out real well and turns an ordinary trigger into a rippa (all mine have been tuned by him and I wouldn't send them to anyone else ever!) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2016, 7:48 pm

A couple of Howa's in Boyds stocks

This one is a Thumbhole stock in Forest Camo

This ones in a Prairie Hunter stock in the colour Pepper

This ones a Thumbhole stock in Pepper

This ones a Savage in a Thumbhole stock in the colour Apple Jack
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 06 Nov 2016, 9:26 pm

That Prairie Hunter stock looks awesome bigfella.
How much work is involved in fitting it?
Can it affect the accuracy?

I'm looking at the black stock with stainless barrel.
The other option is a Howa Classic Laminated Pepper Varmint... not sure how much it is yet.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Nov 2016, 4:26 am

They are easy to fit, just the 2 action screws to undo and do up - the other thing I do is open the barrel channel up whilst I'm at it to ensure I have a fully free floating barrel (I use a socket wrapped in sandpaper for that, doesn't take long to do and then I seal the channel with some sort of clear coat to ensure no moisture can get in and cause warping issues.

We used to be able to import them for around $130 back in the day, they have a $99 limit on purchases (not including delivery costs) so if the stock is more than $99 you can't buy it so you will have to keep an eye out for their sales and then you should be right to buy one or there are a few shops that import them now, they will cost slightly more than what it will cost you to import one but you should be able to get one soon than having to wait for a sale to come and when all said and done you'll probably pay around $50 more for it than if you could import it yourself so not too bad considering they have to make something out of the deal, I think Hunting Haven are importers so might pay to suss that out.

http://www.huntinghaven.com.au/c/gun-stocks/249
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 07 Nov 2016, 7:44 am

Thanks bigfella. The $100 order limit is pretty silly.... would probably support a local shop anyway for an extra bit.

Is the prairie hunter rifle a sporter or varmint barrel?
I like the fluted barrel but prefer stainless for easy cleaning and rust resistance. Not sure fluted comes in stainless in 243.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Nov 2016, 8:04 am

wade06 wrote:Thanks bigfella. The $100 order limit is pretty silly.... would probably support a local shop anyway for an extra bit.

Is the prairie hunter rifle a sporter or varmint barrel?
I like the fluted barrel but prefer stainless for easy cleaning and rust resistance. Not sure fluted comes in stainless in 243.

The Prairie Hunter stock is designed for the sporter weight barrel but that one was opened up to suit my Varmint Barrel. The Fluted version is great, slightly lighter and points better than a non fluted version but not big deal breaker either way for me (have both versions) Stainless is fine but don't make the mistake of thinking its rust proof because they aren't as many have found out, stainless isn't rustless as such, yes it has a bit more rust resistance but at the end of the day it's still a good idea to give it a wipe over with some oil of some description (I use lanox, inox, sewing machine oil to name a few) also make sure you put a little bit of grease on the backs of the bolt lugs to prevent galling (you only need a little bit don't go heavy on it) give the bolt a wipe over after use with oil, get that trigger worked and you will have a fantastic reliable rifle for many years to come (some of my Howa's are over 35yrs old and still working as good as ever and bloody accurate with hand loads.

Also don't forget to give the bore a good clean out before 1st use as it will have preservatives in it to help prevent rusting etc, after each use give the bore a patch with some lanox or other oil to help prevent rust and again remove before shooting each time and replace after cleaning to help protect the bore, you do all that each time before and after use and you won't go wrong, neglect to do it and you will end up with a stuffed bore sooner or later.

Bore Tech products are good for cleaning the bore as are others so find something you are happy to use and give it a try.

Anyway mate enjoy the new rifle and remember safety is your No.1 priority whenever out hunting, everything else is second, always remember where that muzzle is pointed and what state of rediness your rifle is in (ie loaded or unloaded) and make sure you know what others are too and make sure everyone is doing the right thing regarding loaded etc all the time, you do that consistently and you'll be fine, neglect it and you or someone else may well pay with their lives as some have found out the hard way.

Good luck and enjoy yourself

:drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Davies » 07 Nov 2016, 8:51 am

:lol:

BFS and Wade.. Skimming over I didn't look closely at your avatars but they're about the same out the corner of your eye.

For a minute I thought the last half dozen posts was BFS talking to himself :lol: :oops:
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 07 Nov 2016, 10:30 am

Yeah not a real big fan of the plastic stock, but its more sutiable for me as i walk throught thick scrub and beat around the bush. Do love the look of the wooden stocks and will end up swapping them out one day
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 07 Nov 2016, 10:32 am

Thanks mate, will do, wont see it till christmas as its with my brother, but ill let yous know how she proforms
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

Borgie97 wrote:Yeah not a real big fan of the plastic stock, but its more sutiable for me as i walk throught thick scrub and beat around the bush. Do love the look of the wooden stocks and will end up swapping them out one day

Yeah the plastic is more durable for the ruff stuff.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 6:48 am

Davies wrote::lol:

BFS and Wade.. Skimming over I didn't look closely at your avatars but they're about the same out the corner of your eye.

For a minute I thought the last half dozen posts was BFS talking to himself :lol: :oops:

I've been known to talk to myself - usually when hammered :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 08 Nov 2016, 3:33 pm

Well... I won't be getting a Howa 1500....

I found a near new 243 Tikka T3 Lite (plastic stock, 22" stainless barrel) with a Fullfield II 4.5-14x scope.....
the transferred price was only a touch more than a new Howa 1500 so i couldn't pass it up :oops:

My PTA was sent in today so hopefully i will get the gun in a couple of weeks :D

I still think the Howa 1500 is a good gun for the price and may own one one day.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 6:27 pm

wade06 wrote:Well... I won't be getting a Howa 1500....

I found a near new 243 Tikka T3 Lite (plastic stock, 22" stainless barrel) with a Fullfield II 4.5-14x scope.....
the transferred price was only a touch more than a new Howa 1500 so i couldn't pass it up :oops:

My PTA was sent in today so hopefully i will get the gun in a couple of weeks :D

I still think the Howa 1500 is a good gun for the price and may own one one day.

Hard to pass up a bargain hey.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Borgie97 » 12 Mar 2017, 10:31 pm

Been a long time awaiting and finally got my licence last thursday, getting a howa 1500 stainless 223 in 1-9 twist with black overmold stock and 4-12 scope off my brother. Only got 100 rounds through it and shoots 20c coin 3 shot groups, im happy with that!
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles