Thoughs on a howa 1500 walnut .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Thoughs on a howa 1500 walnut .223

Post by Borgie97 » 14 Mar 2017, 6:07 pm

Yeah im really happy with the howa, going out target shooting next weekend to hopefully tighten it up, hopeing to get a 10c coin group. I will get into reloading one day but the blitzkings are only $55 for 50 and the gamekings are only $47 gor 50, might save up some money and get 900 blitzkings for $650, gonna try some nosler ballistic tips next weekend to. Also how to u post photos? I cant seem to do it?
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Borgie97 » 14 Mar 2017, 6:11 pm

also what is your take on flutting, i wanna flute my barrel as i love the look but also for the cooling effect as ive fired quite a few rounds at dogs and pigs and it heats up quick
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 14 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

Borgie97 wrote:also what is your take on flutting, i wanna flute my barrel as i love the look but also for the cooling effect as ive fired quite a few rounds at dogs and pigs and it heats up quick

Hmm the problem with fluting is that you sacrifice rigidity to gain a very minor heat dissipation gain (if at all) so the two concepts kinda counteract each other. Generally, functional fluted barrels are restricted to heavier barrels (not light sporter barrels), and in fact, many question whether the fluting even achieves anything at all, implying it's just another marketing gimmick. In any case have you actually gathered some real data on how badly the heat actually effects your accuracy ? If you really want to mitigate heat, I'd consider handloading down some reduced loads - better for plinking for many reasons on top of heat management.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

Borgie97 wrote:also what is your take on flutting, i wanna flute my barrel as i love the look but also for the cooling effect as ive fired quite a few rounds at dogs and pigs and it heats up quick

You would have been better to just buy a Howa with the fluted barrel. I'm sure I've read stories about doing fluting after the barrel has been stress relieved etc isn't a good idea (can't remember where now sorry) but I guess do some research and see what you can find out about it all.

I've got a Fluted Howa HB and it's a great little shooter, my favorite rifle to shoot to be honest. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Borgie97 » 14 Mar 2017, 8:41 pm

Thanks fellas
Borgie97
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous