Ishapore No1 MK3 - Quality compared to BSA / Lithgow etc

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ishapore No1 MK3 - Quality compared to BSA / Lithgow etc

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Nov 2016, 7:44 am

Hey all,

I have an opportunity to pick up an old Lee Enfield No1 MK3 made by Ishapore. The question I have is what was the build quality like compared to say Lithgow or BSA?

I realise they are 60+ years old, i am more looking for am i walking into a more of a disaster than say picking up a Lithgow made one?

From what i have seen it is in reasonable nick for being through multiple wars etc, good shiny bore with good rifling etc. the wood has a heap of dings etc.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Ishapore No1 MK3 - Quality compared to BSA / Lithgow etc

Post by wrenchman » 02 Nov 2016, 8:13 am

about 15 years ago there was a large batch of ishapore guns sold here in the states they were in like new condition and many still rapped like new
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusTac » 02 Nov 2016, 8:42 am

If it were me i'd hold out for a Uk or Aussie manufactured one, but just have a real good look, and in the very slim chance that the bloke will take the stock off, it's worth checking out the bedding if you have the opportunity, also look for cracks in both metal and stock, muzzle, barrel, chamber and bolt wear can also be a big issue along with headspace, they're old girls and some need a bit of tlc before they see another round

I've been burned in the past with these enfields, be prepared to spend/find parts, that said if you get one thats been looked aftet the're an absoloute gem to shootn
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Nov 2016, 9:45 am

thanks austac, was hoping you would respond :) Will check it out.. its going to be a fixer uperer, will check all those things out, family member has a head space gauge for 303 which is a bonus.

wrenchman, like 20 years ago a local gun shop here had wall to wall lee enfields and he was selling them for $200. the rumour is this shop still has a major stock pile of them and is waiting for the prices to go up even more..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 02 Nov 2016, 9:41 pm

Ishapore Enfields are built under the same quality standards as their British and Australian counterparts. They were even made with British tooling under supervision of British officials, if I'm not mistaken. Though these are the .303 Enfields I speak of, and not the later .308 2a1 models.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Nov 2016, 5:05 am

thanks gunnut, i read something similar last night which has given me a bit of confidence..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Nov 2016, 6:28 am

G'day Wylie27,
As Gun-nut said, these rifles are made to the appropriate standard. I have an early 1950's FTR'd Ishapore that is a very good rifle. The later 308 No2A1 is superior to any English rifle as they were designed to be a 308 from the start, rather than a conversion, and were made from higher tensile steel. If the rifle checks out OK in fit and wear, buy it, you won't be sorry, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Nov 2016, 6:49 am

The Ishapores to me have always been more like 'knock-off's than another make. I suppose they may be sound mechanically, but I'm not too super over the finish.

As No1Mk3 pointed out, they were engineered for the .308/7.62 cartridge from the ground up, which would be a lot easier on my wallet as .303 reloading gear tends to be a bit dearer than .308/30 cal.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles