Howa 223 for first rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 223 for first rifle

Post by orca » 02 Nov 2016, 7:50 pm

Hey all.

Looking to purchase my first rifle and wanted to know your thoughts. I have a budget up to $1500.

Buying a Howa rifle. 223 blued/stainless doesn't really bother me but i prefer the look of the blued but I hear stainless steel functions slightly better. (fyi, I know its probably better to start with a .22 & my mind is pretty much made up with going with a howa).

The store I'm going to currently holds mini action .223 standard & heavy barrel (both I hear come in packages, I'd prefer buying a package just for the price) and also the the varmint heavy barrel (no package) thats threaded and/or fluted.which I don't completely understand the meaning of. The standard sporter is out of stock and wont come in before my papers run out.

I currently only target shoot but looking to start hunting next year if not the year after that.

Any pointer & tips for a newbie?

Cheers.
orca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: First Rifle

Post by Gwion » 02 Nov 2016, 8:03 pm

Get the mini heavy barrel in blued. Stainless isn't going to do anything significant for you.

Don't get a package because the scope may not be up to scratch.

You will get a good scope and rifle for $1500.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by albat » 02 Nov 2016, 8:11 pm

Depends on the hunting part of the equation you mention and what ya going to be hunting cus a 223 isnt going to be a good allround hunting calibre choice had mates buy a 223 to start and wished they had gone a 243/308 if its going to be your only rifle for a while.if it was going to be just target stuff 223 is cheap to shoot though howa is a good choice my mate has 2 of em in 243 and 308 i have a weatherby vanguard s2they come out the same factory i find the vanguard is a bit better finished than the howas for a little bit more coin if i was buying now i wouldnt hesitate to buy a tikka all my mates tikkas shoot fantastic and they are heap ligher to cart around in the bush t3x light blued for about 1.1k in 243 would be my recommendation
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 02 Nov 2016, 8:28 pm

Vortex Diamondback HP scopes are great quality and clarity for the price (about $600). The side parallax knob (youtube parallax) is so much better then the ones on the front AO. I have a 3-12x42 but would get the 4-16x42 on a centrefire.

I'm probably getting a Howa 243 with stainless/plastic stock. It's solely for hunting so i don't want to be constantly worried about marking the wood and the weather. The varmint barrels look nice but the extra weight really adds up with a scope, bi-pod etc... depends what you are using it for.

Threaded is a thread on the end to attach a silencer.
A fluted barrel is the grooves cut along the outside of the barrel. Often straight but sometimes with a twist. I think they are mainly for looks and some weight reduction.

Have a look for a couple of bipods.
I have a 6-9" for shooting of a bench or the roof of a ute, get one that allows you to tilt left and right.
Currently looking at a 13"-27" for shooting over long grass from a sitting position.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 03 Nov 2016, 9:37 am

Fluting adds more surface area so your barrel can radiate heat away easier. I've got a .223 t3 varmint with a stainless barrel and it's a bit heavy to carry around all day without a sling so if hunting is on the agenda try stay with a lighter barrel.
As for .243 vs .223 it pretty much comes down to two things: what will you hunt and how soon? And how much will you be shooting? If you're going to be shooting a lot than the cost difference in factory ammo will be very noticeable. Around here 243 is about half again the price of .223 maybe more. Having said that .243 is one of the very best "do it all" rounds and will take anything from fox to camel. If you're recoil sensitive .223 is barely noticeable even from a bench. I think .223 is a great choice for first rifle second only to a 22lr ;)

Good luck
Deac :drinks:
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bosbefok » 03 Nov 2016, 9:47 am

Most of the package deals I have seen advertised seem to include rubbish scopes. A scope plays an important role in accuracy. Purchase a quality scope with quality rings and rail.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 03 Nov 2016, 9:54 am

The store I'm going to currently holds mini action .223 standard & heavy barrel (both I hear come in packages, I'd prefer buying a package just for the price) and also the the varmint heavy barrel (no package) thats threaded and/or fluted.which I don't completely understand the meaning of. The standard sporter is out of stock and wont come in before my papers run out.

The howa mini action in heavy barrel isn't really that heavy compared to the 1500. Unless you're a kid, hauling the heavy barrel version around the paddock all day shouldn't be an issue. If you went the Howa 1500, you'd feel the extra weight.

Stainless vs Blued? I'd choose stainless.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles