3 shot .223 semi auto available on Cat B already in Australi

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

3 shot .223 semi auto available on Cat B already in Australi

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 02 Nov 2016, 9:22 pm

So I was thinking...what happens if you grab some 12guage to .223 inserts and chuck them in an Akkar 3...boom you have a poor mans semi auto ;)
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 3 shot .223 semi auto available on Cat B already in Aust

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2016, 9:30 pm

I've done that with my Mossberg using the Chiappa X-Caliber inserts, 357Mag in the left and 44Mag in the right. Let's campaign for a quad barrel shotgun cause it'll be %33 more fun then the triple :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 02 Nov 2016, 9:32 pm

brett1868 wrote:I've done that with my Mossberg using the Chiappa X-Caliber inserts, 357Mag in the left and 44Mag in the right. Let's campaign for a quad barrel shotgun cause it'll be %33 more fun then the triple :)

Oh where did you get the inserts from? I want to get some rifled ones would actually be an interesting project, imagine it with extractors/ejectors holy s**t would that trigger some people haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm

The inserts came with my Chiappa x-Caliber combo 12ga/22lr survival gun. Each insert is approx. 6" long, chambered and rifled for the listed cartridge. The retarded part is that you can't buy the pistol ammo unless you hold a cat H + a registered pistol in that caliber. I've tried several times to have the barrels listed on the registration but it seems to end up in the too hard basket. I have legal access to all pistol rounds so not a big deal for me.

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2672
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 03 Nov 2016, 7:02 am

bentaz wrote:Do any of you guys have an akkar 3? They look cool but do they work well?

Mines in the store waiting for me to hand over the money haha. Put it on lay by when magnum had the deal for $1299 and I needed a new shotgun anyway.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2016, 7:47 am

I've handled one bentaz I've never really liked them but I was impressed with the balance and finish just a bit too heavy for me
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2016, 7:53 am

brett1868 wrote:The inserts came with my Chiappa x-Caliber combo 12ga/22lr survival gun. Each insert is approx. 6" long, chambered and rifled for the listed cartridge. The retarded part is that you can't buy the pistol ammo unless you hold a cat H + a registered pistol in that caliber. I've tried several times to have the barrels listed on the registration but it seems to end up in the too hard basket. I have legal access to all pistol rounds so not a big deal for me.

Seriously? What about all the model 92 lever actions out there ? What state are you in ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2016, 9:31 am

bigpete wrote:
brett1868 wrote:The inserts came with my Chiappa x-Caliber combo 12ga/22lr survival gun. Each insert is approx. 6" long, chambered and rifled for the listed cartridge. The retarded part is that you can't buy the pistol ammo unless you hold a cat H + a registered pistol in that caliber. I've tried several times to have the barrels listed on the registration but it seems to end up in the too hard basket. I have legal access to all pistol rounds so not a big deal for me.

Seriously? What about all the model 92 lever actions out there ? What state are you in ?

I'm in NSW, no legal requirement to register a barrel which is why we can have these inserts. The tricky part that's in the too hard basket is the rules around buying pistol ammunition. Without the barrels listed on the registration there's no legal way to purchase the 9mm, 380, 40 or 45ACP ammo. Other calibers have rifle equivalents so ammo isn't an issue on a standard firearms license. The other limitation is that the inserts cannot with used with ejector type shotguns and accuracy is at best 6" 25m so not up to any level of hunting apart from Zombies at close range.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2016, 9:40 am

So if I lived in NSW and had my 44 mag Rossi 92 I'd need a pistol licence and a 44 mag pistol to buy ammo for it ? Sounds pretty ****** stupid to me !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

bigpete wrote:So if I lived in NSW and had my 44 mag Rossi 92 I'd need a pistol licence and a 44 mag pistol to buy ammo for it ? Sounds pretty ****** stupid to me !

Not quite...44Mag can be purchased on a regular Cat B license because there are rifles in that caliber, same goes for 38 & 357. Where it gets complicated is purchasing ammo that's generally regarded as being specific to only pistols such as 380, 9mm, 45ACP etc etc. In NSW you need 2-3 things to purchase pistol ammo, Cat H license AND registration papers for a handgun taking that type of ammo plus if >.38 a High Cal Permit. The interesting part comes when loading pistol ammo because there's no control on buying pistol brass which means anyone can manufacture pistol ammo but without the right license / permit the instant you seat the projectiles you'll be committing an offence.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 03 Nov 2016, 3:08 pm

God these laws remind me of spaghetti.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

I'm thinking calibre conversions for shotties, going to a rifle round, even a hand gun round would be very grey, in that it is an offence to modify so as to change the category.... a shotty chambering non-shotgun round would be cat B like a (non rimfire) combo.

So use caution..

Apart from that, I've seen a few youtubes with conversions and they seem relatively accurate at shortish range....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2016, 3:54 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I'm thinking calibre conversions for shotties, going to a rifle round, even a hand gun round would be very grey, in that it is an offence to modify so as to change the category.... a shotty chambering non-shotgun round would be cat B like a (non rimfire) combo.

So use caution..

Apart from that, I've seen a few youtubes with conversions and they seem relatively accurate at shortish range....

The adapters that go some way into the barrel work better, they basically become a pistol barrel. Still more of a coup de grace round than an effective hunting round though.
In Victoria you can modify a firearm as long as it doesn't change category or caliber so I assume shotshell adaptors are illegal here?
Is it also be illegal to use the various centrefire rounds that can be fired through .410 bore shotguns with no modification?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Nov 2016, 4:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:I'm thinking calibre conversions for shotties, going to a rifle round, even a hand gun round would be very grey, in that it is an offence to modify so as to change the category.... a shotty chambering non-shotgun round would be cat B like a (non rimfire) combo.

So use caution..

The adapters that go some way into the barrel work better, they basically become a pistol barrel. Still more of a coup de grace round than an effective hunting round though.
In Victoria you can modify a firearm as long as it doesn't change category or caliber so I assume shotshell adaptors are illegal here?
Is it also be illegal to use the various centrefire rounds that can be fired through .410 bore shotguns with no modification?

Not sure, but an email to LRD might be necessary....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2016, 5:33 pm

Admitted a very grey area using a CF adapter for a Cat B cartridge in a Cat A firearm...tried a quick Google and you can buys sets of adapters on eBay. These are not rifled or serialised like the ones I have but they still allow a CF round to be fired from a shotgun.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16-Gauge-to-22LR-Shotgun-Barrel-Adapter-Reducer-Sleeve-Insert-Bushing-Chamber-/162134203539
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 03 Nov 2016, 6:03 pm

So that was a misleading title, ya bunch of pricks
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 03 Nov 2016, 8:32 pm

juststarting wrote:So that was a misleading title, ya bunch of pricks

I prefer "harmless click bait" :thumbsup:
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Nov 2016, 8:37 pm

lies!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 04 Nov 2016, 2:55 pm

The CZ Alfa Proj Carbine in .357 would probably fit the criteria you seek, a little better. ;)
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 04 Nov 2016, 3:00 pm

Good luck getting any decent accuracy from those adaptors, humane despatch may be an option but getting humane kills at normal hunting ranges may be a challenge

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 04 Nov 2016, 3:01 pm

Gun-nut wrote:The CZ Alfa Proj Carbine in .357 would probably fit the criteria you seek, a little better. ;)

Those are evil guns, I like my hands not on fire thank you very much! Haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles