Savage 340 in .22Hornet

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage 340 in .22Hornet

Post by duncan61 » 10 Nov 2016, 11:28 pm

The rifles I just scored included a Savage 340 in Hornet.I have just ordered new batteries for my range finder on E bay and I thought I would try my luck getting a magazine while there.My search pulled up some advertising for this rifle when it was brand new in 54.It was also just chambered in the exciting new .222 rem.I love all this stuff my mate bought it brand new in 1978 in Queensland when he was in the army.Has any one had one or know more about them it looks like they have been around forever.I am no good for the open sights at 55 I just cant see clear enough.I did the stalk for the ambush with my howa .243 with the scope on 3.5 and it was good.Going friday morning cos its raining and we can ambush all day long with no flies
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: Savage 340 in .22Hornet

Post by deanp100 » 12 Nov 2016, 8:06 pm

I have a savage 340 in 223. It was my first new rifle that I bought when I was 14 in 1980. The 340 has been around for a long time and was a good honest hunting gun. Accuracy was ok. I was able to get an honest inch out of mine with hand loads. I recently tried some very old factory ammo in it and it blew out to a couple of inches. Many people have tried making improvements but generally to no avail. They are not suited to bedding, the trigger is average and can only be honed a little and the barrel is held by a barrel band stopping any chance of free floating. You need a side mount to put on scope but other than that they are a reliable old gun.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2016, 1:47 pm

bentaz wrote:I have one in .222, as above its a great little rifle.

Sheesh, your safe must be the size of my garden shed
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mateusz » 29 Nov 2016, 9:45 pm

Hey guys reg savage 340 where could i get and extractor for the 22 hornet version?
mateusz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles