Browning blr

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Browning blr

Post by albat » 13 Nov 2016, 10:29 am

Considering a browning blr want a light rifle for walking hilly scrub and fast follow up shots as anyone got one? , they seem to be getting pretty common down the range any advice would be good thx guys.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Browning blr

Post by juststarting » 13 Nov 2016, 10:30 am

Do you have your heart set on lever action?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by albat » 13 Nov 2016, 10:40 am

Never had one but i like the idea of a quick follow up shot but want to weigh up the downsides of a lever they come in dtandard calibres which is a good start
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

levers are great.what calibre
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Nov 2016, 11:38 am

A lot of them out there, and very very few get on sold. Sorta says a lot.

Blrs are great for allowing cals not traditionally suited to levers, and are short and light. Great guns for the bush
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by deanp100 » 13 Nov 2016, 4:58 pm

I have a miroku lever 308 as my hunting gun. I have had it for a long time and will never sell it. It is the old 80's vintage steel action unit and it is quite legendary among my friends. I think they are the best all round hunting gun invented. They are let down slightly by mag capacity (4+1) but I became very good at dropping rounds in the chamber on the run. I took it to the territory recently after many years not hunting and once I clicked on an empty chamber. Was pissed off for losing track of shots fired but lack of practice does that. They are accurate for hunting , are light , handy, robust and fast . I have a big collection of other guns but they are all for show. I always take my MLR to kill things with.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Nov 2016, 5:04 pm

albat wrote: want to weigh up the downsides of a lever

The two that I owned were perfectly OK but cleaning from the muzzle was a PITA however, the modern take-downs might be the way to go :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

The BLR is a very good option, for the reasons stated by others of it's ability to use calibres not normally suited to lever rifles. The advent of the Hornady leverevolution ammo has somewhat redressed that issue, but a box mag fed lever action is still versatile. Years back I had what I consider the King of such rifles, a Sako Finnwolf in 243, but silly me sold it. Buy one albat, I'm sure you won't regret it, either a BLR, MLR or Sako.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by albat » 13 Nov 2016, 7:15 pm

Sounds pretty positive so far! Magnum sports have em for about $1480 on sale on used guns right now if anyone is looking at getting one
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 13 Nov 2016, 8:36 pm

Had one, loved it, beautiful rifle with a really smooth cycle.....
Could never get it accurate enough (sure there's others who have a laser beam) though and a PITA to clean, especially with the amount of dust it used to get in it where we hunt..
Bought a bolt action in the same caliber.. More accurate, easier to clean and really, just as fast to load after each shot. (And a 10 round mag)
Tough call cos I loved that rifle, but for me, a bolt action just a better option...
If you want the "cowboy" lever action theme, go for it (I live out that fantasy through an Adler), if not grab a bolt action...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 13 Nov 2016, 9:28 pm

I considered one a while back to replace my (comparatively) inaccurate 30/30 - I really liked the idea of hand loading match BTHP .308 rounds for that extra reach and accuracy. But after handling one in my LGS though, the trigger struck me as pretty awful, and it seemed like the stock was fairly short - and for offhand work, IMO stock length is really your friend. Didn't feel great basically. At that point It kind of occurred to me that that extra reach better suits a bolt anyway - IMO levers are really designed for close range work, in which case the much cheaper 30/30 option is perfectly adequate. To me, the BLR is really fitting a niche that doesn't exist. And keep in mind with a bit of practice a bolt can be cycled pretty darn fast...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 13 Nov 2016, 11:14 pm

Well said in2anity.... put into words how I felt about mine when I had one.....
If I could own just 1rifle, it would prolly be a BLR, as it does many things ok, but once you own more than 1, well, there's a lot of others that do different jobs better.....(and yeah, dreadful trigger)
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 17 Nov 2016, 11:11 am

Browning wrote:If I could own just 1rifle

We all say that but we know we can't resist getting more :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 17 Nov 2016, 5:05 pm

Ignition engineering does an AR mag conversion apparently, that could be interesting.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 17 Nov 2016, 9:40 pm

What's the conversation you've heard of....if got an MLR that's been reworked to 257 roberts, and I love it....

Collector1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 18 Nov 2016, 4:18 am

i was thinking of getting one for my son before i got him his ruger they are nice are you looking at the take down model
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2016, 7:58 am

Triggers are generally pretty to sort out if they don't work as you want them too (honing and polishing and change of springs) usually sees the majority of triggers work better - I can't stand s**t triggers, once you've used a few good ones it's hard to go back to using crap and it really buggers up a rifles potential I reckon.

i see levers as scrub type guns, use them for that sort of work and they are well suited I reckon, try and use them for long range type stuff and they fall short in my opinion, doable I guess but not the best option going.

If you want one mate buy it, worst comes to worst you can always sell it and buy something more suited to your needs. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 18 Nov 2016, 8:10 pm

wrenchman wrote:i was thinking of getting one for my son before i got him his ruger they are nice are you looking at the take down model

Especially if he's not fully grown, have you considered a BL-22? They are incredibly fun/cheap to plink with. Also short/compact, so perfect for a teen. Whack an arpeture receiver on it and you've got yourself the perfect trainer!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles