Very Disappointed in my CZ 455. Is my 1st Rifle Faulty?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Very Disappointed in my CZ 455. Is my 1st Rifle Faulty?

Post by Tomek » 14 Dec 2016, 2:14 pm

Supaduke wrote:You sure it's not just the scope that's knackered?

You are convinced it's not you and shoots good for two or three mags then wanders.

If the bedding or rifle is stuffed it won't shoot well ever. Certainly not consistently 2 good mags then no good , then return next time and two good mags. It can't magically fix itself while sitting in the safe. Have you tried a different scope ? I couldn't be arsed reading back through the whole thread.

Yes I got a new scope actually and it seems the same. It can't be me as when I switch rifles with my gf (range rifle) on the range, the good/bad groupings stay with the rifle, not the shooter. This Geco ammo looks promising as well so I will check that out too. Also, I've had 3 other experienced shooters try it while it's in spray mode and they were just as bad / worse than me. All walked away sheepishly saying its a fussy rifle, not used to trigger etc.etc. People hate blaming CZs... but scoff when I offer to sell it to them!

Anyway, I will focus on the Geco, Eley Subsonic HP and CCI subsonic HP next time. If it shoots ok I may just stick with it. The dilemma for hunting is.. do I shoot with a round nosed accurate round, or a less accurate hollowpoint? I'd be aiming for headshots..
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 14 Dec 2016, 2:30 pm

Nice pages and counting :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Tomek » 14 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

happyhunter wrote:Nice pages and counting :D

Yes I think I me ending this saga by being satisfied or replacing my rifle would be a favor to everyone at this point! I hope that I can soon come back with some nice clean rabbit kills to show or.. my very own Annie 1712 "finger nail sized groups all day" targets followed by even more rabbits. And a BBQ invite :P
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 14 Dec 2016, 3:34 pm

Yeah TBH honestly I never thought the shooters capability was the issue here (Tomek); most people are capable of shooting moa off a bench (provided the rifle is). I honestly believe this was just a case of unrealistic expectations combined with a pretty average rifle - I can totally relate, I've been in the exactly the same boots in the past (with my 336). If accuracy is of paramount importance, there's not really any avoiding spending a little more on your kit (i.e. purchasing an Annie)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 14 Dec 2016, 3:58 pm

in2anity wrote:Yeah TBH honestly I never thought the shooters capability was the issue here (Tomek); most people are capable of shooting moa off a bench (provided the rifle is). I honestly believe this was just a case of unrealistic expectations combined with a pretty average rifle - I can totally relate, I've been in the exactly the same boots in the past (with my 336). If accuracy is of paramount importance, there's not really any avoiding spending a little more on your kit (i.e. purchasing an Annie)

The trouble with the expectations is that I go get those tight groups initially and then they spread out. Could actually be a good thing compared to the opposite. What would be the use of a hunting rifle that takes 5-10 shots before it shoots straight?
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Dec 2016, 6:07 am

Tomek wrote:
in2anity wrote:Yeah TBH honestly I never thought the shooters capability was the issue here (Tomek); most people are capable of shooting moa off a bench (provided the rifle is). I honestly believe this was just a case of unrealistic expectations combined with a pretty average rifle - I can totally relate, I've been in the exactly the same boots in the past (with my 336). If accuracy is of paramount importance, there's not really any avoiding spending a little more on your kit (i.e. purchasing an Annie)

The trouble with the expectations is that I go get those tight groups initially and then they spread out. Could actually be a good thing compared to the opposite. What would be the use of a hunting rifle that takes 5-10 shots before it shoots straight?

Actually when it comes to fast centerfire, it's recommended to fire a couple of fouling shots before a hunting trip - this is also somewhat of the purpose of your sighters before a match. After a thorough cleaning, most cartridges/rifles throw a couple of flyers before they really settle down. This is due to the barrel needing to be being lined to help with obturation. And if I'm shooting lead silhouette loads through my lever, I basically don't clean my barrel (rather just bore snake then an oil patch); it hates being cleaned and groups the tightest without much cleaning at all.

Now speaking 22 rimfire; the 22lr arguably may also fall into the category of "don't clean it". The wax coating shields from leading and also helps with obturation/stabilization (once the barrel is lubed up). For a 22 If anything groups should tighten up after a clean. That's how I run my 22 anyway, and I know many others follow this regime for 22s.

So getting back to your rifle - yes it is quite unusual that your 22 starts accurate and then quickly degrades. Quite the pickle indeed... almost reminds me of the 17hmr (which I believe needs regular and rigorous cleaning to keep it tight).

All that said, heck if you have the budget for it, I say trade it in get yourself a 54 Annie (wipes drool away).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Dec 2016, 7:58 am

Also with your target Tomek - I noticed a lot of your shoddy groups are with Eley sport - that stuff isn't the most accurate ammo out there hey. It performs pretty averagely out of my Lithy too.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 15 Dec 2016, 8:24 am

in2anity wrote:Also with your target Tomek - I noticed a lot of your shoddy groups are with Eley sport - that stuff isn't the most accurate ammo out there hey. It performs pretty averagely out of my Lithy too.

The reason is that when the shop tested my rifle, they got incredible groups with Eley Sport. The targets they showed me are <0.5" and there were 3 groups. Apparently they shot more than that which is odd.. CCI did alright. Eley Match sucked. They gave it a good clean and used a different scope than I had at the time but I have changed my scope since then and things are the same. Meanwhile, the Gecco rounds worked pretty well for me so I can't just blame myself.

So.. how do you explain that? lol

It's a shame there's no-one around my to help me out at the Victorian shooting ranges. I sometimes doubt the shop tested MY rifle as no-one (my gf or 3 other experienced shooters) can get those groups with my rifle and that ammo when I'm around.
Last edited by Tomek on 15 Dec 2016, 8:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Dec 2016, 8:25 am

I get great groups with Eley sport out of my Lithgow Crossover.

But crappy groups from CCI..

Each rifle is different, barrel harmonics etc..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 15 Dec 2016, 2:13 pm

I haven't tried any higher end ammo through my Lithgow, I haven't had the need to, it isn't that fussy with what I feed it and everything I've tried shoots very reasonable groups, however, it shoots exceptionally well using Winchester bushman/super speed and Federal American Eagle (hollow and solids) which can be had for $39-$45 per 500 so these are what I use.

Have you tried running some of the cheaper gear through your CZ @Tomek?
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tomek » 15 Dec 2016, 2:30 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:I haven't tried any higher end ammo through my Lithgow, I haven't had the need to, it isn't that fussy with what I feed it and everything I've tried shoots very reasonable groups, however, it shoots exceptionally well using Winchester bushman/super speed and Federal American Eagle (hollow and solids) which can be had for $39-$45 per 500 so these are what I use.

Have you tried running some of the cheaper gear through your CZ @Tomek?

I've gotten 0.4- 0.7 inch groups in my first 2 mags with the cheapest Federal HP, CCI Subsonics and Eley Sport. All spread out after that. At that spray shooting point, I've tried many expensive and cheap ammos, About 17 in total.

The last day was a bit better (maybe because my standards have dropped) but I only managed good groups with the Gecco Rifle ammo which is also cheap. Eley Subsonic HPs and SK POistol Match did ok too. When the servicing guy at the range tested my rifle he was able to shoot a great group with a ~10 year old box of T22 WInchester. The latest T22 batches are rubbish however.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm

I think the shop told u fibs. It is in their interest to show you small groups. My Brno likes bushman but sometimes throws a flyer.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 17 Dec 2016, 9:40 pm

I rekon you're wiggin' out' too much on tiny groups Tomek. I just bough a new rifle that yesterday sprayed bullets all over the place like a mad woman's custard, but I didn't loose any sleep over it. Today, after 2 hours work destroying any chance of a warranty return, it's now an accurate bunny slaying laser weapon capable of shooting the eye out of a rabbit at 50 meters.
Attachments
Photo0185.jpg
Photo0185.jpg (62.19 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Dec 2016, 7:34 am

Sooo, what did u do happy?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 18 Dec 2016, 8:33 am

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, what did u do happy?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7263
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by CZ452 Varmint » 21 Apr 2017, 7:07 pm

How did you go with your rifle? Its now mid April and no updates.

I have only just found this forum and spent an hour and a half reading this thread and what do I see from the targets, verticle stringing in a lot of cases. To me that suggests breathing. Try exhaling and taking your shot at the botrom of your breath. I know the Springvale Range very well spending many nights down there over the last 22 years. I have also shot those mythical 5c groups but they are more the aberration rather than the norm. I personally have a CZ452 Varmint with a Boyds thumbhole stock that WILL punch one hole groups with Winnie Powerpoints but doing it is as I said earlier is not the norm. My Varmint has a Nikko Stirling 4-16x50 Nighteater scope amd preforms brilliantly. I also have a CZ452 Scout and a 1982 BRNO Model 2. Both of which will on occasion pull 5c groups. It's more me than the rifle. Each has its own preference for ammo but they all will shoot Winne Powerpoints with out much fuss. This is a target I shot a 9 days ago at Springvale. The top two left hand targets were trying to work out the difference between Winnie subs and Powerpoints so they shouldn't be counted but the other 4 were shot with Powerpoints and show that while one group is pretty good the others are ragged by comparison. This particular rifle had the barrel lapped before I even fired a shot and has only recently been put in the Boyd stock.

CZ452 Varmint
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by d3driver » 08 May 2017, 5:58 pm

Did this issue get sorted? You can't leave us hanging like this dude, we have an emotional investment now...!
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 09 May 2017, 5:30 pm

Hey guys, I'm still here. Thanks for the emotional investment :)

Must say I did get discouraged from the sport because of this. I considered just rage buying another other gun with a guarantee and real-life tight-group example. (My rifle had a spray example). Just to try make the problem go away lol. But have calmed down and let it lie (literally).

However, I really want to get back into it. I still have that offer from my friends and I even met their parents who own the farm and they welcome me too after I met them at a party.So its a waste if I give up. And it's a fun sport, great excuse to get out to nature with my gf and most ethical way to eat meat AND even get some fur for her crafting.

Anyway, I'm out of options so I'm going to offer someone $100 for their time if they come shoot with me for a day, with my CZ455 and their .22 rifle (which can shoot tight groups) at a range in VIC. Preferably Springvale as there is less wind. I'd love to see how I shoot with another rifle, and how someone else shoots with mine. And any adjustments to the bedding, different ammo etc. I really need to settle this problem so I can enjoy the sport and get out there and make use of it!

If anyone here is up for that then please let me know. It would be good to get some human help :) I'll post as a main thread if I get no takers.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 09 May 2017, 7:12 pm

I'm sure if you approach the RO at Springvale, and ask him who the most giving of time is...you will find a few new friends.
It's been 5x months now, i'd thought you were on your way to bedding that sucker down.

I do hope you get it sorted and get out enjoying it... just do it. If you don't want to do the job yourself, i'm sure a replacement stock wouldn't cost much to see if there is a change...

Good Luck, and don't give up...imagine how sweet it will feel when you do get it sorted and are punching holes as anticipated...that will take a regimen of practice from you to do your part though. ;)
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 09 May 2017, 11:10 pm

I'm always up for wasting time at Springvale, but I'm chasing better accuracy out of my Brno myself...If you want a shot of a fair rifle but not a tackdriver give me a yell.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 09 May 2017, 11:36 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah I wish I had had it sorted already. I'd have definitely posted some groups or hunting pics by now if i had though haha.

Someone with an Anschutz just offered to help me out so I hope to go back one of these weekends to help sort this out.Even if I could just shoot 3 tight groups in a row I'd be super stoked. But to learn some tips, find the problems, and just give me a direction of what to do to reach my goal would be awesome.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 09 May 2017, 11:51 pm

Need you to try something right out of left field

I'm assuming your ready to wrap this around a tree......

Firstly bed the action in devcon or similar and torque the action screws and centre screw down all the same...nothing to heavy.

It sounds like a slight heating up and point of impact problem.
Check the bottom of the bolt to see if there are any rub marks from the lips of the mag, if there is (1) bet you it's a 10 shot mag, (2)try another mag, preferably a 5 shot steel.

I've have seen this "in battery" problem with Brno rifles before but not CZ, if the lips of the mag are touching the bottom of the bolt when it's closed and in battery it causes to bolt to "lift' ever so slightly....as the rifle, chamber, and barrel warm up sure enough the point of impact wanders...

I don't know why, but it only happens with 10 shot mags with the Bruo rifles....

My two bobs worth..lol....frustration at its best

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2017, 11:56 pm

Re- above suggestion. Or just single load without the magazine.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 10 May 2017, 9:22 am

I'd be happy to help for free but it's a long swim to Springvale from here.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Barrettmr » 13 May 2017, 1:02 pm

After having read most of this thread, this is a thought.

Have you pushed any pieces of lead out of the barrel when you are cleaning?
I have a savage that will only stay accurate for around 40 rounds. When clean it will shoot 20mm groups with subs, after that it will open up to about 65mm groups. With hv it will shoot 30mm groups and the open up to a 100 to 125mm groups. I can push half moon clumps of lead out of the barrel when this happens.

By the same token I have a cz452 that has had 1500 round thought it and it will still give me the mythical 5 cent group if I do my stuff, althought I did have to do the trigger, float the barrel properly and do a poor man's bedding with some paper under the action.

I too am reading along with interest.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tomek » 13 May 2017, 2:14 pm

Barrettmr wrote:After having read most of this thread, this is a thought.

Have you pushed any pieces of lead out of the barrel when you are cleaning?
I have a savage that will only stay accurate for around 40 rounds. When clean it will shoot 20mm groups with subs, after that it will open up to about 65mm groups. With hv it will shoot 30mm groups and the open up to a 100 to 125mm groups. I can push half moon clumps of lead out of the barrel when this happens.

By the same token I have a cz452 that has had 1500 round thought it and it will still give me the mythical 5 cent group if I do my stuff, althought I did have to do the trigger, float the barrel properly and do a poor man's bedding with some paper under the action.

I too am reading along with interest.

To pique your interest..

After many trips to the range, I paid the guy there to clean it. He did get some little clumps out. Then he tested it himself and found it to be very "fussy". He tried many types of ammo. At least 8 types. At one point he tried a verrry old box of T22 ammo (over 10 years old apparently) which actually shot good groups with the two mags he used. Not sure what would happen after that but that's what makes this rifle so frustrating. How can it just totally suck with all sorts of ammo, even Match ammo, and then work well with a cheap old box? I tried it with a new box of T22 the next week day and it sucked really badly..

Then I had the shop test it and Elley Sport was a dream. Yet me, my gf, another shooter and a range officer couldn't replicate it at all. I got a new scope even and nothing. When someone said that I probably want to wrap it around a tree they are absolutely right lol.

In your case though, if I needed to get clumps of metal out after 40 rounds to maintain reasonable accuracy, I'd call that a faulty rifle.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 13 May 2017, 4:12 pm

What was the new scope? I have an old Japanese Nikko 4X that I bought to eliminate the scope as an issue on mine, before I invested in some decent glass. It got my rifle down to 10 cent groups.
If you want to borrow a known good scope you are welcome to try it.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 15 May 2017, 10:25 pm

So I'm back from my day shooting with a helpful Enough Gun member. He taught me quite a few things. Thank you! :)

I've attached my targets and labelled them as best as my memory would allow. As you can see, I start off with some great groups - as usual - which then scatter and rise. I had trouble reaching tight groupings after that and it kept drifting higher without cleaning. My buddy cleaned my barrel with a dry cloth a few times (~4 I don't remember each time on my target and may have mixed a few up) and it would usually yield some small improvement but soon need cleaning again as my shots scattered and rose. He noted that my gun was accumulating gunk unusually quickly, possibly due to a new rifling being sharper. Still, probably not as it should be and I've shot around 1,000 rounds so far.. His Anschutz was fine without so much cleaning but had a similar amount when he cleaned it once in the middle of the day.

After ~2 hours of shooting he gave me a go on his Anschutz using the same SK Rifle Match ammo we'd been using. My first 5 shots weren't great as I was not really holding the rifle tight.. just admiring the stability from his bipod and good sandbag and pulling the trigger. I felt like a surgeon but the group wasn't the best. I then let off 10 shots holding to tight and really focusing this time... OMG I was floored inside but didn't wanna jump up and down haha. 10 shots.. 16mm grouping (12mm without the outlier!). He had similar (poor) results as me using my rifle.

His conclusion was that my rifle builds up gunk pretty quick, otherwise it was probably 'within spec'. He said I'm a pretty good shot (especially considering my setup on the day) though there's still a few tips and tricks I could learn. I had no bipod or large sanbag, just the flat range rest. My rear sandbag isn't very grippy or solid either and was too low. Having said that, I've had much more stability in the past when the range had the V rests.

He can hunt pretty well and his groupings with hollow points weren't as good as with the SK Rifle Match ammo so knowing that and that he doesn't always hit rabbits in ideal condition did make me feel better. He said if my rifle can put out the first few shots ok, it should be good enough for hunting. Even the latter groupings can yield some kills. This is true. However, it makes it hard to zero properly if it is so sensitive to how clean (and maybe cold) it is. It's as if I only get 2-3 mags to zero my scope for hunting each time I goto the range.

My plan now is to read up on a few links he gave me and go back to try and zero it for some hunting ammo. I zeroed it for the CCI subsonics at the end so I'm curious how accurate it is fresh with those. I have attached the bipod now (which I should have brought in the first place). If things go ok (not great, just ok at least) I will try go hunting sometime and see how I go. If I like it, I will consider getting another rifle then. I'll also try get a new cleaning rod and cloth. When I cleaned using his tools, it was much more snug than my set.

I think that my issues come partly from being new and not having a 100% stable setup and high expectations. But I still think my rifle is a bit dodgy. It shouldn't scatter so much after 2-3 mags and then require such frequent cleaning. Maybe it's within spec but it would be borderline at best. I might send it back to WInchester when I go to for my US trip in 3 months.
Attachments
2017-05-14 Tomek.jpg
My Targets
2017-05-14 Tomek.jpg (280.58 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
2017-05-14 Tomek B + Buddy.jpg
Only 3 Targets are Mine (Anschutz)
2017-05-14 Tomek B + Buddy.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
2017-05-14 Gunk.jpg
This was my typical result after ~5 mags
2017-05-14 Gunk.jpg (152.7 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Last edited by Tomek on 16 May 2017, 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 May 2017, 10:42 pm

So, if it is building up lead far faster than normal the bore must be very rough. Perhaps consider giving the bore a Lapping/polish. Not hard.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 15 May 2017, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 15 May 2017, 10:52 pm

Also replying to a few other posts..

@COLLECTOR 1 : My mag is a 5 shot steel.. but the theory of it heating up, and expanding to affect my shooting could make some sense. I could try get another mag and see how I go switching them. Although it could just as well be some part of the action. Either way, when hunting, I would be done by the first 1-2 mags anyway.

@Wombat : It's a good offer and I wouldn't mind trying another scope. However, it's hard for me to zero after my first 2-3 mags

@Barrettmr : As my long report mentions, I do seem to have a problem with gunk building up quickly and stuffing up my aim. Trouble is, that cleaning doesn't bring it back to my ~half inch starting groups. So it may be both this and some kind of heat expansion. Again, a moot point when hunting.

I do hope that with my bipod and new tips I can shrink my long-term groups a little but it still sucks.. especially when I just had another guy tell me about his 5 cents groups lol. Anyway, I just need the first 1-2 mags to be right at most for what I want to do with it.
Last edited by Tomek on 15 May 2017, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles