Very Disappointed in my CZ 455. Is my 1st Rifle Faulty?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Very Disappointed in my CZ 455. Is my 1st Rifle Faulty?

Post by Tomek » 14 Nov 2016, 8:58 am

I took my brand new CZ 455 to the Springvale Range on the weekend and I feel very worried and disappointed by it.

My girlfriend came with me and used one of the range’s rifles (CZ 452). The grouping I was getting was terrible. We are both new shooters yet her groupings were hovering around 1 inch, while mine spread around 2 inches+. When we swapped rifles, she was suddenly getting groupings over 2 inches and I went closer to the 1 inch mark. I had cleaned the rifle before going to the range and we shot over 100 rounds each from the same ammo boxes using Federal, CCI standard round and hollow point types. The shooting chart I got with the rifle was all over the place and had a 32mm spread over 5 shots btw.

Additionally, my bolt action is much harder than hers (loaded/unloaded is the same) and having cycled it over 100 times while shooting and probably 200 extra times just to try and work it in, it remains noticeable harder than the range’s CZ 452. I really have to push it down hard sometimes while she could use just her thumb on the range's CZ452. A range officer next to me sprayed my bolt with lubricant and even oiling the specific parts that seem to be causing the friction didn’t improve it.

I would love to hear some tips of what to try next time I go to the range Springvale / Eagle) before I try to contact CZ. I have some Elley Sport, Club and Match ammo that I bought for fine tuning my rifle which could be useful. After hearing so much about the CZ, for its accuracy and smooth bolt action I’m very disappointed. CZ specifically mentions their barrels don’t need a break-in although I don’t see why it should be so bad.
Last edited by Tomek on 14 Nov 2016, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Very Disappointed in my CZ 455. Is my 1st Rifle Faulty?

Post by southeast varmiter » 14 Nov 2016, 9:06 am

Try subsonic ammo - highly recommend.
Also back of the action screws a bit, my jw15 was shooting 3" groups. Backed them off now sub Moa.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2016, 9:07 am

I have no experience with that model, but all 22LRs are fussy about the ammo you feed them. Suggest you try a few different brands. I have a Brno M2 and hates a couple of brands, like 3" at 50 mtrs but likes bushman and I get about 1".
When you change brands its generally recommended you fire 5 shots before grouping, it seems to make a difference for some reason.

If it is only tight when closing the bolt it might be the head space ( thick rim) so again a different brand of ammo may fix that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 14 Nov 2016, 9:18 am

southeast varmiter wrote:Try subsonic ammo - highly recommend.
Also back of the action screws a bit, my jw15 was shooting 3" groups. Backed them off now sub Moa.

Yeah we tried a lot of the CCI subsonic ammo. It was all the same.
Are these the action screws?

Thanks, I will try this, as well as buy even more brands of ammo next time. Hopefully there are even more suggestions from others :)
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 14 Nov 2016, 9:19 am

Oldbloke wrote:I have no experience with that model, but all 22LRs are fussy about the ammo you feed them. Suggest you try a few different brands. I have a Brno M2 and hates a couple of brands, like 3" at 50 mtrs but likes bushman and I get about 1".
When you change brands its generally recommended you fire 5 shots before grouping, it seems to make a difference for some reason.

If it is only tight when closing the bolt it might be the head space ( thick rim) so again a different brand of ammo may fix that.

I'll buy even more ammo types next time. With the bolt action being tight, its tight even just cycling it unloaded.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Nov 2016, 9:20 am

My CZ 455 is new too but it has not been fired yet as I am in the process of bedding it. Out of the box, the whole rifle was slathered in oil even where it contacts the stock and this is very bad for accuracy. As if this was not bad enough, the bedding of the rifle is terrible. I always take a new rifle apart to examine the bedding and lubrication of the bolt. No factory rifle of mine has been perfect out of the box and this CZ is no exception.

My bolt has loosened-up considerably but it has been stripped and greased. Initially, it was as you described. There are videos on the web showing how to strip them. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on studying how it all works. I use moly grease.

There are a host of reasons why your rifle might not shoot but the above is a start. Keep in touch mate and Good Hunting :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Tomek » 14 Nov 2016, 9:27 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:My CZ 455 is new too but it has not been fired yet as I am in the process of bedding it. Out of the box, the whole rifle was slathered in oil even where it contacts the stock and this is very bad for accuracy. As if this was not bad enough, the bedding of the rifle is terrible. I always take a new rifle apart to examine the bedding and lubrication of the bolt. No factory rifle of mine has been perfect out of the box and this CZ is no exception.

My bolt has loosened-up considerably but it has been stripped and greased. Initially, it was as you described. There are videos on the web showing how to strip them. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on studying how it all works. I use moly grease.

There are a host of reasons why your rifle might not shoot but the above is a start. Keep in touch mate and Good Hunting :thumbsup:

Thanks haha. I'd be worried about voiding warranty if I do this though. What if it is simply faulty? I know many people are comfortable tinkering with their rifles but I'm new and one should expect a product to work reasonably well out of the box without needing to disassemble it. A car is a lot more complicted by people aren't expected to take the engine apart when they get home lol. The bolt action is mainly tight when I push it down to ready and it just seem to be having a lot of metal-on-metal resistance, not a lubrication issue as far as I can tell.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SteamedHam » 14 Nov 2016, 9:37 am

I have a CZ455 and in my experience, I spent about 20 minutes dialing it in and it's 99% accurate.

I mainly use Winchester powerpoints and RWS subsonics with no issue. I did go through 1 packet of CCI subs, and 2 packets of CCI quiets last week however, but was just plinking cans and used shotgun shells with no accuracy testing.

Mine wasn't coated in oil either.... Maybe I got the best one :)
SteamedHam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bosbefok » 14 Nov 2016, 9:40 am

Mine shoots fine with federal standard and Winchester super speed.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Nov 2016, 10:21 am

Tomek wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:Try subsonic ammo - highly recommend.

Yeah we tried a lot of the CCI subsonic ammo. It was all the same.
Are these the action screws?

Thanks, I will try this, as well as buy even more brands of ammo next time. Hopefully there are even more suggestions from others :)

This is also what I was thinking.

Loosen those screws and then just cinch them up. Try cycling the action. If it is easier to cycle then there has been stress fixed into the action by over tightening the King/action screws.

Even if the action is still tight, try the rifle again with the same ammo. Shoot 3x5 shot groups and tighten one action screw a 1/4 turn... Repeat, alternating which screw you tighten. You may well see a marked improvement over this process. Do not over tighten.

Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 14 Nov 2016, 10:23 am

Personally, try a bunch of different ammo before you mess with it in any way. If you start tinkering with it before you try a bunch of different ammo you are just introducing another variable. If you are inexperienced with rifles don't touch it till you rule out ammo as the issue.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Nov 2016, 10:44 am

I'm not a fan of the quick release barrel arrangement that the 455 uses.

Check all fasteners.
Check the crown for damage.
Try different ammo.
Give it 200 - 300 rounds in a session without a clean and see if it settles in.
If no other ammo shoots better, then start thinking about your scope.

Did it come with a test fire target from the factory showing how it grouped off the production line ? My 452 did, If I was unable to replicate the factory test I'd be placing it on the shop counter where I bought it and asking questions to the point of a refund if the factory grouping can't be replicated.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tomek » 14 Nov 2016, 10:57 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm not a fan of the quick release barrel arrangement that the 455 uses.

Check all fasteners.
Check the crown for damage.
Try different ammo.
Give it 200 - 300 rounds in a session without a clean and see if it settles in.
If no other ammo shoots better, then start thinking about your scope.

Did it come with a test fire target from the factory showing how it grouped off the production line ? My 452 did, If I was unable to replicate the factory test I'd be placing it on the shop counter where I bought it and asking questions to the point of a refund if the factory grouping can't be replicated.

The factory grouping was very bad IMO. It had a 32mm dispersion and was all over the place, not just because of one stray shot.

What do you mean by checking the fasteners? And what would be wrong with my scope to add so much inaccuracy? Not tight enough? The crown doesn't appear to have any damage.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 14 Nov 2016, 12:46 pm

I have the 455 and swap barrells between rimfire calibres with no issues only adj the zero slightly each time i use cci standard velocity on .22lr and it goes onto a half inch at 50m i suggest you visit a web site called rimfirecentral there is a mountain of info there in the cz forum if you cant find the answer there its officially a lemon!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 14 Nov 2016, 7:42 pm

I've got one mate and it's bloody accurate, AS LONG AS use the right ammo...... its cheap enough buying a few different brands...
Mine just loves CCI Velocitors and the Stingers not far behind...
For subsonics it loves the Remington, almost keyholes them all, but tried some Winchester subs the other week, (cos Remington's were sold out at the LGS) and the Winchester were absolutely horrendous...
It certainly pays to experiment a bit till you find the right ammo...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2016, 8:41 pm

Tomek wrote:I took my brand new CZ 455 to the Springvale Range on the weekend and I feel very worried and disappointed by it.

My girlfriend came with me and used one of the range’s rifles (CZ 452). The grouping I was getting was terrible. We are both new shooters yet her groupings were hovering around 1 inch, while mine spread around 2 inches+. When we swapped rifles, she was suddenly getting groupings over 2 inches and I went closer to the 1 inch mark. I had cleaned the rifle before going to the range and we shot over 100 rounds each from the same ammo boxes using Federal, CCI standard round and hollow point types. The shooting chart I got with the rifle was all over the place and had a 32mm spread over 5 shots btw.

Additionally, my bolt action is much harder than hers (loaded/unloaded is the same) and having cycled it over 100 times while shooting and probably 200 extra times just to try and work it in, it remains noticeable harder than the range’s CZ 452. I really have to push it down hard sometimes while she could use just her thumb on the range's CZ452. A range officer next to me sprayed my bolt with lubricant and even oiling the specific parts that seem to be causing the friction didn’t improve it.

I would love to hear some tips of what to try next time I go to the range Springvale / Eagle) before I try to contact CZ. I have some Elley Sport, Club and Match ammo that I bought for fine tuning my rifle which could be useful. After hearing so much about the CZ, for its accuracy and smooth bolt action I’m very disappointed. CZ specifically mentions their barrels don’t need a break-in although I don’t see why it should be so bad.

Are these groups at 50m or 100m?
If you weren't both using the same ammo I would've suggested staying subsonic, especially at 50m or more. Were both barrels the same length?
I can only suggest getting one box of a lot of different ammo, cheap and expensive, and try them all to determine which shows the most promise, then get a brick of that and shoot a lot. Hopefully you'll see some improvement as the barrel loads up with wax.
My Ruger American behaved similarly when new, I struggled to get anything at all to group under two-inches at 50m. By about 1000 rounds, without cleaning the bore, the rifle has improved significantly. So much better that I'm going to reshoot all the different types I've tried and see if anything that didn't work before now works better.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Nov 2016, 10:36 pm

The closing of the bolt on the ammo you were using . few points .
1. did you properly clean the firearm when you first received it from you local gun shop ( they probably did not )
2. Ask the range how many rounds do they think may have gone down the range gun bet you its going to shock you
that why its a bit freer in all ways yours is new .
3. you have just used 1 type of ammo your barrel is new and not yet wax coated (all 22 barrel's are wax coated once you have fired a few round down them its sorta how they work) till you clean them then it can take a few rounds to get them back to good .

feel the outside of a 22 projectile its wax coated for a reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCZHG_eEak
Do not undo anything till you have tried at least a few rounds of different types use a few targets too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 15 Nov 2016, 3:35 pm

Also most importantly, check the crown if there are any burrs , small dings and scratches on the very edge of the bore (lands and grooves) It will have to be recrowned .
If the carbon print( star) on the muzzle face is even there is a high possibility that the crown is OK, if the last 25mm of the bore is damaged well then you may have to have it removed and recrowned by a COMPETANT gunsmith.
Another thing is to check that the scope mounts and ring screws are tight (but not over tight) and have been evenly tightened...Winchester 40gn power points shot well in my CZ and also shoot well in my sako finnfire which I have had now for 16 years.
good luck mate.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Tomek » 15 Nov 2016, 4:06 pm

Thanks all :),

I will be going to get the gun checked out where I bought it tomorrow. The crown seems fine and I have a snake cam which while it can't go in, shows it looking quite perfect. I will cycle the bolt up and down a few hundred times tonight to reach ~1000 cycles in total as I still think it's way too tight (my gf has trouble pushing it down).

I am fully open to what the shop has to tell me and will try to buy at least 10 reasonably priced ammo varieties. However, if it still doesn't shoot 1 inch spreads, I think the case will fit the Australian consumer rights conditions of being sold a product that doesn't meet expectations. CZ says on the site that a non-varmint barrel should shoot well with 2, and acceptably with 3/4 out of 10 different ammo manufacturers and the net is filled with reports of dime sized groups. If I refund it, I will just shell out for an Aszhnutz, or something else with a guarantee. I think Aszhnutz have a 1/4 inch guarantee at 50 yards and I really can't be bothered dealing with this again lol :)
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by POD89 » 15 Nov 2016, 8:10 pm

Hi there, just my 2 cents.
i bought my CZ 455 new 6 years ago.
I think i have put 1500 rounds though it?
still as stiff/tight in the bolt as it was when i bought it.
Let me stress that there is no excess force required to close it, but i've compared it to a friends CZ 452 and mine is way stiffer/tighter to cycle, still, after all the use and lube etc.
as far as groupings i can't help you.
maybe before you start yipping out screws and taking apart the gun, Ammo 1st then maybe swap scopes?
they are great little rifles i hope yours changes its tune for ya.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Tomek » 15 Nov 2016, 10:03 pm

POD89 wrote:Hi there, just my 2 cents.
i bought my CZ 455 new 6 years ago.
I think i have put 1500 rounds though it?
still as stiff/tight in the bolt as it was when i bought it.
Let me stress that there is no excess force required to close it, but i've compared it to a friends CZ 452 and mine is way stiffer/tighter to cycle, still, after all the use and lube etc.
as far as groupings i can't help you.
maybe before you start yipping out screws and taking apart the gun, Ammo 1st then maybe swap scopes?
they are great little rifles i hope yours changes its tune for ya.

I cycled it 1000 times today and it still feels like I need a little excess force. Didn't really change that much. I am sure the shop can help me take a look at the screws , tightness, bedding etc. however, it's not easy for me to try a different scope as I don't have another one. But a bad scope shouldn't be like this right? Wouldn't a bad scope result in good good groupings but changing its zero every now and then?
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2016, 7:38 am

Can be,
Not tracking when adjusting windage
Bad or large groups
Zero moving around
Zero moving when changing magnification on a variable.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DreddEmpire » 16 Nov 2016, 7:57 am

I checked out the CZ 455 at my LGS last week and cycled the action a couple of times. It did feel stiff, which was not what I was expecting from a smaller caliber rifle but I wasnt overly bothered by it either. In terms of grouping you may have just got a bad apple off the tree. Interested to know how you go with it because its probably the one I'll buy when my license comes through.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tomek » 16 Nov 2016, 8:12 am

DreddEmpire wrote:I checked out the CZ 455 at my LGS last week and cycled the action a couple of times. It did feel stiff, which was not what I was expecting from a smaller caliber rifle but I wasnt overly bothered by it either. In terms of grouping you may have just got a bad apple off the tree. Interested to know how you go with it because its probably the one I'll buy when my license comes through.

I'll keep you guys updated. Although I personally wish I went with another rifle. A varmint CZ at least, although an Aschnutz for $1500 would have been worth it to avoid this waste of time and money. The shop told me varmint doesn't make much difference but CZ site says a varmint barrel is more tolerant of ammo types and shoots better with more of them. I'm so annoyed that this advice alone makes me feel cheated. I was willing to part with more money and they told me there was no difference :(
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 16 Nov 2016, 8:30 am

The CZ actions are pretty tight and take a long time to loosen up. Some people use valve grinding paste, others cutting compound. I personally wouldn't recommend any of those methods to wear it in.

I've owned a few 452s and they were all great shooters. I think you should stop your whinging and sooking and go shoot a few different types of ammo before bagging out the brand. CZ make great rifles and it's more likely something you are doing than the rifle being at fault.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by scotty87 » 16 Nov 2016, 9:21 am

What scope did you end up fitting and have you got it set back far enough to get perfect eye relief? Also make sure your scope mount screws are tight, had a gunshop fit a scope once and the ring caps weren't tightened correctly at all.

I'd go back to the range and shoot it some more, you need to get used to the trigger on your rifle, if the trigger has any creep that can really throw off groups. Try some SK ammo it always had good results in my rim fires.

CZ make good rifles but all rifles need work to make them fit the shooter, part of being a rifleman is getting to know your rifle and getting accuracy out of it.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tomek » 16 Nov 2016, 1:13 pm

scotty87 wrote:What scope did you end up fitting and have you got it set back far enough to get perfect eye relief? Also make sure your scope mount screws are tight, had a gunshop fit a scope once and the ring caps weren't tightened correctly at all.

I'd go back to the range and shoot it some more, you need to get used to the trigger on your rifle, if the trigger has any creep that can really throw off groups. Try some SK ammo it always had good results in my rim fires.

CZ make good rifles but all rifles need work to make them fit the shooter, part of being a rifleman is getting to know your rifle and getting accuracy out of it.

The scope I get was a Athlon Neos 22 BDC. The shop fitted it and I hope they do find that either that or some other screws are not sitting right. I'm taking it there today and will try to buy at least 10 different ammo types. Yes I should stop whinging haha. It's been such a hassle getting the license and rifle and now these issues are working to dampen my entry into this fine hobby
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

Sounds like it's shooting exactly as the factory test found. Honestly think there is n issue with the bedding. Maybe a light contact on the barrel, maybe an uneven bedding that is stressing the action when screwed town too much.

That, at least, is the first place I would be looking..... as well as a possible crown issue.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by POD89 » 16 Nov 2016, 6:47 pm

Tomek wrote:
scotty87 wrote:What scope did you end up fitting and have you got it set back far enough to get perfect eye relief? Also make sure your scope mount screws are tight, had a gunshop fit a scope once and the ring caps weren't tightened correctly at all.

The scope I get was a Athlon Neos 22 BDC. The shop fitted it and I hope they do find that either that or some other screws are not sitting right. I'm taking it there today and will try to buy at least 10 different ammo types. Yes I should stop whinging haha. It's been such a hassle getting the license and rifle and now these issues are working to dampen my entry into this fine hobby

Don't let it get ya down. :)
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Elmer » 16 Nov 2016, 7:04 pm

Heres another tip which involves the scope. Sometimes when a scope is new the turret adjustments may be a little stiff if they are, when an adjustment is made to zero the scope/rifle sometimes the the small incremental movements in the turret tubes do not react causing no visible bullet movement on paper.
Then if you make another adjustment the turret tubes will spring (or jump if you like ) to the next increments causing the the bullet to jump further than expected on paper, this can make zeroing and ammo testing difficult.
To help rectify the problem, first center the turrets, so there is equal clicks left, right, up and down, then simply wind the turret adjustments all the way to the top then all the way to the bottom and then center (ie, all the way up and down for elevation and all the way left then right then center) . Repeat this two or three times to help settle in the adjustments....this is known as breaking in a new scope and been known to tighten groups markedly.
good luck,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles