HOWA mini-action BOYDS stock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

HOWA mini-action BOYDS stock

Post by Goshawk » 19 Nov 2016, 4:24 pm

Good afternoon fellow gun and hunting enthusiast,
I apologise if I have put this thread in the wrong topic area.

I received an email this morning from BOYDS telling me they are finally making stocks for the HOWA mini-action (yay! about time!).
I'm looking to get either the Pro Varmint (Black only....booooo!) or Varmint Thumbhole (either nutmeg or forest camo green) variant for my heavy 20" barrel 204 ruger.

My questions are, (and I apologise again if this topic/thread has been raised 100 times):

1. The BOYDS website has them for US$129, is it possible to get them posted into Oz? I read somewhere they won't send stuff to us if its over US$99??
2. Do I need to do any official paperwork to get it into country and past CUSTOMs?
3. They (BOYDS) has a large variety of custom options, like adjustable combs and laser engraving, is it possible to get these variants into country?

Cheers
Justin
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: HOWA mini-action BOYDS stock

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2016, 5:15 pm

Goshawk wrote:Good afternoon fellow gun and hunting enthusiast,

I received an email this morning from BOYDS telling me they are finally making stocks for the HOWA mini-action (yay! about time!).
I'm looking to get either the Pro Varmint (Black only....booooo!) or Varmint Thumbhole (either nutmeg or forest camo green) variant for my heavy 20" barrel 204 ruger.

My questions are, (and I apologise again if this topic/thread has been raised 100 times):

1. The BOYDS website has them for US$129, is it possible to get them posted into Oz? I read somewhere they won't send stuff to us if its over US$99??
2. Do I need to do any official paperwork to get it into country and past CUSTOMs?
3. They (BOYDS) has a large variety of custom options, like adjustable combs and laser engraving, is it possible to get these variants into country?

Cheers
Justin

1. I don't believe they'll send it if their price is over $99, but I've never tried them. Maybe talk to the Aus importer and find out when they can get them for you.
2. Not for Victoria, don't know about ACT. Does it have a pistol grip or adjustable stock?
3. Do you have a link to the specific stock design?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Goshawk » 19 Nov 2016, 5:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Cheers
Justin

1. I don't believe they'll send it if their price is over $99, but I've never tried them. Maybe talk to the Aus importer and find out when they can get them for you.
2. Not for Victoria, don't know about ACT. Does it have a pistol grip or adjustable stock?

Hey Bladeracer,
I'm actually 30km outside ACT.... so NSW licence, not the stupidity that goes down in Canberra.

Neither have a pistol grip, no issue in NSW.

Does anyone use 'My US Postal Service'?

Why does BOYDS stop at $99? Tax purposes?

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2016, 8:06 am

Goshawk wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers
Justin

Hey Bladeracer,
I'm actually 30km outside ACT.... so NSW licence, not the stupidity that goes down in Canberra.

Cheers

I don't believe it's for tax purposes more to do with gov't restrictions and the paperwork required and probably not worth the stuffing around I guess? I guess the best you can hope for is one of their specials when they drop the price to $99 or you could propbably buy one from one of the gunshops that import them, it shouldn't work out too much over what you'll pay by the time you pay the shipping costs etc, probably $50 more at a guess.

How are these little HMA's shooting, any good or not?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bones-350 » 20 Nov 2016, 9:03 am

It Just so happens that I have a Boyds Howa Thumbhole in Forest Green.
Use to be on my Howa 22.250. If interested let me know
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Goshawk » 20 Nov 2016, 9:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Goshawk wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers
Justin

Hey Bladeracer,

Cheers

I don't believe it's for tax purposes more to do with gov't restrictions and the paperwork required and probably not worth the stuffing around I guess? I guess the best you can hope for is one of their specials when they drop the price to $99 or you could propbably buy one from one of the gunshops that import them, it shouldn't work out too much over what you'll pay by the time you pay the shipping costs etc, probably $50 more at a guess.

The little 204ruger HMA's is excellent. So happy I bought it.
Shoots 0.45" 5 shot groups at 100m with factory Federal 40gr ballistic tip ammo. Everything I have pointed it at has either exploded or dropped on the spot.

Just want to upgrade the terrible Tupperware stock. I worked out it is pressing against the right side of the barrel, I'll sand it back and see if its even more accurate.

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Goshawk » 20 Nov 2016, 9:45 am

bones-350 wrote:It Just so happens that I have a Boyds Howa Thumbhole in Forest Green.

Unfortunately the Howa mini-actions don't fit the usual howa 1500 stocks.

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2016, 1:26 pm

bones-350 wrote:It Just so happens that I have a Boyds Howa Thumbhole in Forest Green.

No good for a HMA :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2016, 1:29 pm

Goshawk wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Goshawk wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers
Justin

Hey Bladeracer,

Cheers

The little 204ruger HMA's is excellent. So happy I bought it.
Shoots 0.45" 5 shot groups at 100m with factory Federal 40gr ballistic tip ammo. Everything I have pointed it at has either exploded or dropped on the spot.

Just want to upgrade the terrible Tupperware stock. I worked out it is pressing against the right side of the barrel, I'll sand it back and see if its even more accurate.

Cheers

Excellent news mate, my mates friend bought one in 223 I think it was and they were using factory ammo and I think he shot 20 rds that fitted into a 20c piece at 100m so gotta be happy with that I reckon (my mates a Tikka fan and was surprised just how well the Howso shot) I wasn't as I know they can be great shooters especially with handloads and a decent stock and trigger lightened.

Glad to hear yours is a rippa mate, what type of barrel, HB or sporter type profile? :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goshawk » 20 Nov 2016, 1:46 pm

Excellent news mate, my mates friend bought one in 223 I think it was and they were using factory ammo and I think he shot 20 rds that fitted into a 20c piece at 100m so gotta be happy with that I reckon (my mates a Tikka fan and was surprised just how well the Howso shot) I wasn't as I know they can be great shooters especially with handloads and a decent stock and trigger lightened.

Glad to hear yours is a rippa mate, what type of barrel, HB or sporter type profile? :thumbsup:[/quote]

I got the 20 inch heavy barrel (#6). Its a good little walk around varmint, a lot easier than my 24" heavy barrel howa in 243w, that thing weighed a ton!
The 20" barrel does have some muzzle lift though, I know it sounds stupid, but I'm thinking about putting a brake on it to stop the lift....
I just added some weight to the forfend to see if it tames the jump a bit.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2016, 4:25 pm

Goshawk wrote:Excellent news mate, my mates friend bought one in 223 I think it was and they were using factory ammo and I think he shot 20 rds that fitted into a 20c piece at 100m so gotta be happy with that I reckon (my mates a Tikka fan and was surprised just how well the Howso shot) I wasn't as I know they can be great shooters especially with handloads and a decent stock and trigger lightened.

Glad to hear yours is a rippa mate, what type of barrel, HB or sporter type profile? :thumbsup:

I got the 20 inch heavy barrel (#6). Its a good little walk around varmint, a lot easier than my 24" heavy barrel howa in 243w, that thing weighed a ton!
The 20" barrel does have some muzzle lift though, I know it sounds stupid, but I'm thinking about putting a brake on it to stop the lift....
I just added some weight to the forfend to see if it tames the jump a bit.[/quote]

Yeah there's always a compromise with shorter barrels, muzzle blast and more muzzle jump are the norm, only prob with muzzle brakes is it makes them noisier again, if it's for hunting I really can't see a point in them myself, but each to their own, maybe a slip on version might be the go, that way you can remove it if it becomes too annoying (farking loud when shot out of vehicles so be warned! :D and definitely don't do what I did one day when I was shooting out the passenger window from the drivers side, I forgot to put the barrel out the window and man was that son of a bitch loud! :lol: ears were ringing for the rest of the night after that little effort. :silent: :wtf:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goshawk » 20 Nov 2016, 7:33 pm

I got bored and decided to make a stock for my HMA. I know, a bit bright! Maybe I'll redo it in green or brown.
Attachments
Resized_20161120_130831.jpeg
Resized_20161120_130831.jpeg (278.64 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Mongrel » 20 Nov 2016, 7:40 pm

if only i had the money :(

put it on the classifieds on forum you should be able to sell it
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 23 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm