My strange CZ455 only good for the first 2-3 mags?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My strange CZ455 only good for the first 2-3 mags?

Post by Tomek » 29 Nov 2016, 5:15 pm

scotty87 wrote:
Tomek wrote:
Gwion wrote:Tomsk, just to be clear, the bedding you need to check is under and around the action. A floating barrel is no indication of good bedding. Maybe have another good look; unless your terminology is just misleading.

I didn't check that but the store would / should have when i brought it back the first time.

I wouldn't rely on that logic, it wouldn't hurt to pop the barrelled action out of the stock.

Yeah I'm open to that. What would I check for around the action? If it's shiny rub marks, I checked for that already all over.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 29 Nov 2016, 6:09 pm

Tomek wrote:
scotty87 wrote:
Tomek wrote:
Gwion wrote:Tomsk, just to be clear, the bedding you need to check is under and around the action. A floating barrel is no indication of good bedding. Maybe have another good look; unless your terminology is just misleading.

I didn't check that but the store would / should have when i brought it back the first time.

I wouldn't rely on that logic, it wouldn't hurt to pop the barrelled action out of the stock.

Yeah I'm open to that. What would I check for around the action? If it's shiny rub marks, I checked for that already all over.

Remove the two action screws and gently wriggle the stock to take the action out of the stock. If it hangs up you can tap the barrel on your mattress while holding the stock and the action should pop out. Look to see if there is any high points in the bedding, the action might be twisting on these as you tension action screws. Look for marks on the action then look for the corresponding marks in the stock where that part of the action sits, look at the recoil lug for any rub marks, it shouldn't really have any, shouldn't be too tight when it's seated. Finally look at the barrel channel paying special attention to the area where the taper begins. Look to see if it's contacting one side of the stock more than the other in this area.

I reckon you'll find some evidence of the action binding in the stock somewhere, if you do find evidence it will make returning the rifle for exchange a bit easier I reckon, use properly fitting tools to avoid marring your action screws.

If your not comfortable doing this see if the dealer will remove the action from the stock in front of you so you can have a good look.

I'm sure other members will chip in with anything I've missed, I've not had to deal with your issue but have bedded the action of my Howa .308 to make it more accurate.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 29 Nov 2016, 8:50 pm

With a 22 the shiny rub marks are going to be pretty minute and hard to see.

I would just be taking the tact that it doesn't perform as advertised as you described earlier.

Unless you want to tinker, then you can 'paint' the action with a texta or such , put it back together and then shoot a box or two of any old ammo through it. Any high points will then show up as contact points from transferred ink. If there is an even transfer of ink then the bedding is all good. Clean up with a acetone afterwards. I wouldn't do it unless you are happy to tinker and keep the rifle. If you end up stuck with it, definitely think about working on the bedding. Happy to point you in the right direction if it comes to that.

Anyway. Good luck with it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles