Show me your milsurps

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Show me your milsurps

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Gun-nut wrote:Does anyone know a good website or a gun shop in the Melbourne area selling .303 stripper clips for a decent price?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.Xstripper+clip+303.TRS0&_nkw=stripper+clip+303&_sacat=0
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Mar 2017, 12:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gun-nut wrote:Does anyone know a good website or a gun shop in the Melbourne area selling .303 stripper clips for a decent price?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.Xstripper+clip+303.TRS0&_nkw=stripper+clip+303&_sacat=0

Thanks for the link, I didn't think of checking ebay.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Mar 2017, 8:15 pm

bentaz wrote:Whats wrong with this picture?
Message_1488671667483.jpg

Seen today at the Avalon Airshow.

Maybe he took it off the enemy? :unknown:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Mar 2017, 11:08 pm

Heckler303 wrote:How much is a surplus tin of .303?

About 2:1 at this stage. Maybe 120'ish + 200ish ...54R. I have an unopened tin of 54R ammo, which is nice. If only I could find the same for 303 and 7.5x55 I'd be pretty happy with that.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Mar 2017, 1:17 am

A Reserves soldier issued with a Gewehr 281(e), possibly a Dunkirk capture.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

"What's wrong with this picture"

If you are going to play "dress-ups", you really should get your outfit to complement your "accessories". :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 07 Mar 2017, 1:01 am

No 1 are you saying that the Germans used captured 303.That had never occured to me.Were they rechambered to use German ammo
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Mar 2017, 9:21 am

G'day duncan61,
Yes, exactly as I posted, Gewehr 281(e) was the Waffen description for the No1MkIII issued to German Reserves troops, Cheers.
Sorry, forgot the ammo question. They were not rechambered but issued with 303, 14 million rounds were captured in France alone
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 20 Apr 2017, 11:57 pm

Well, hello there my Asian'ish friend...

Alright, so this is not a gun, but strictly speaking it does qualify for this thread. I just couldn't pass this by... Off it goes into my tin of surplus :) Actually, I need a new tin. This one is out of space. But anyhow, here they are. Kinda weird though. 32 per box, but magazines are 10 rounds. Weird f**ckers.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Apr 2017, 5:13 am

Oh juststarting,
Welcome to the world of "click..........................................BANG", "click...........click...........click..............................................BANG" We generally avoid the Pakistani ammo due to it's common fault of iffy primers and delayed firing, occasionally not firing at all. Sometimes you'll get a good box but the next one will drive you mad. As for the packaging,that is due to the English School of Musketry and their Course of Fire, 2 rounds sighting, 10 rounds Application, 10 rounds Moving Target (or Snap), 10 rounds Rapid. Each soldier would collect his ammo and proceed to the range. You can find Footscray/Maribyrnong ammo in the same packaging, as well as Radway Green.Nice No5 by the way, you may need to come over to the MRC and get one of our No5 T-Shirts and join the "Wandering Zero's".
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 21 Apr 2017, 7:28 am

I picked this up a few weeks ago at the Altona gun show.

P14 .303
All matching
Circa 1916, need more research. Finish is about 90% intact. Wood is dark but no cracks. Needs a full strip and tidy up. Rifling is strong and the bore is bright. All up in pretty good nick for a 100 year old rifle. Has the volley sights which is fairly rare. Brass unit disk is present. Has a rack plate added at the bottom from when it served with the French in Africa. A long and interesting history to be uncovered.
IMG_0442.JPG
P14
IMG_0442.JPG (894.42 KiB) Viewed 6383 times

IMG_0440.JPG
P14 .303
IMG_0440.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 6383 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Apr 2017, 8:51 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Oh juststarting,
Welcome to the world of "click..........................................BANG", "click...........click...........click......................

Yeah, I sort of expect that, but I just couldn't pass them buy... It's more because I want them than any practical reason :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 21 Apr 2017, 11:12 am

Supaduke wrote:I picked this up a few weeks ago at the Altona gun show.

P14 .303
All matching
Circa 1916, need more research. Finish is about 90% intact. Wood is dark but no cracks. Needs a full strip and tidy up. Rifling is strong and the bore is bright. All up in pretty good nick for a 100 year old rifle. Has the volley sights which is fairly rare. Brass unit disk is present. Has a rack plate added at the bottom from when it served with the French in Africa. A long and interesting history to be uncovered.
IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

Wow Supaduke, if it still retains the volley sights, that wasn't one of the Repair Jobs conducted during WW2. In other words, it's a rarity of a rarity. (P14s are only getting rarer, my father's P14 however is a repair job I believe, but it still retains the original stock and marking disc, just no Volley sights. It's also a four digit serial number made by Remington. So one like that is hard to find as well.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 22 Apr 2017, 11:57 am

So I gave the old girl a thorough clean up. Started with a full strip and washed the stock down with hot soapy water. Turned two full buckets black with all the gunk, grime and crap that came off it. Some may disagree, but I don't consider dirt as 'patina'.
Degreased the action, barrel, floor plate and barrel bands. Quick rub down with some linseed oil. Cleaned out the barrel.
She is now ready to shoot.
IMG_0464.JPG
P14
IMG_0464.JPG (655.14 KiB) Viewed 6540 times

IMG_0462.JPG
P14
IMG_0462.JPG (719.44 KiB) Viewed 6540 times

IMG_0465.JPG
Just some of the rags used
IMG_0465.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 6540 times

Didn't look like it had been cleaned in a very long time. Few battles scars on the timber , but nothing major. Removing the crap on the surface allowed a bit more colour and grain to come through.
Overall I like it a lot, hopefully she is a decent shooter.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Skitz » 22 Apr 2017, 9:01 pm

Drooling over your rifles!!!
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 26 Apr 2017, 8:05 pm

Well, well, well. Look what arrived today....

Soooooon. Soooooooooooooon.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Growler » 27 Apr 2017, 5:09 am

My BSA No5 1945
Attachments
thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 27 Apr 2017, 6:21 am

Nice beeza no.5,

JS, what sort of rounds are they, 8mm?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 27 Apr 2017, 8:01 am

Supaduke, correcto. 8x56R for Styer M95 I am restoring...

Update:
...and this just arrived in the mail:

Almost there. Tracked down the extractor in Canada. Now we wait for my brass and bullets.

Unfortunately there are no Lee Quick trim does for this calibre, so I'll probably need to sell my Quick Trim setup (few dies there) and buy a different trimmer with pilots that I can file down to correct diameter.

I think today I might start working on the stock too.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Apr 2017, 12:03 pm

Certainly is a Long taper on that shoulder/neck...
Interesting round, there are 2 types of 8x56, (which no doubt you know)... the Portugese Krokofshit...Kropasomething??.... and the Austrian / Steyr - M30s (which is see on your label).....

You should be able to get some decent oomph out of it, considering its a higher capacity case than the 303 and the 8x57 rimmed cases...

Good stuff, get that one to the MRC...if only to confuse the cardigan brigade (I know theyre not confused that easily) :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

G'day Genesis93,
Too late mate, a couple of us have been shooting Steyr 95 straight pulls for a few years now. As well as the Kropatschek there is also an 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge. The Steyr 8x56R is designated M31 in Hungary, and M30 in Austria and was also issued in turn bolt rifle by Hungary. The Steyr 95 rifle can also be found unconverted in the original 8x50R from Rumanian use as well as the German 8x57 Mauser as converted by Hungary after 1940. The projectile for this round is actually .330" in diameter which buggered us reloading for many years until Hornady, and now Prvi, started to produce the right pill. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2017, 3:58 pm

G'day juststarting,
1938 is an interesting year in Austrian history, with the German Anschluss taking place in March. Your cartridges have the Austrian Armoury mark on the packages but are the clips Austrian eagle marked or Nazi WaffenAmt? I have seen late 1938 ammo in Nazi eagle stampings but still in Austrian packaging, and there were also 10 different suppliers of clips, so always curious to know what is around, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 27 Apr 2017, 6:11 pm

I'll take a better photo No1 later today....
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 27 Apr 2017, 7:11 pm

No1Mk3, the stamps are 2 headed eagle, the same as photo below, clip on the right (not the two swastikas on the left).

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Genesis93,
Too late mate, a couple of us have been shooting Steyr 95 straight pulls for a few years now. As well as the Kropatschek there is also an 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge. The Steyr 8x56R is designated M31 in Hungary, and M30 in Austria and was also issued in turn bolt rifle by Hungary. The Steyr 95 rifle can also be found unconverted in the original 8x50R from Rumanian use as well as the German 8x57 Mauser as converted by Hungary after 1940. The projectile for this round is actually .330" in diameter which buggered us reloading for many years until Hornady, and now Prvi, started to produce the right pill. Cheers.

Don't tell me you wear a cardi too?? ;)

Good info no.1, Now you can jump over there and have a looksie at my butt..... plate :) , tell me if she's an MLM or an MLE........
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 09 May 2017, 2:47 am

So... I bought this old rusty boom stick for $200, because I like weird and old; and I wanted a project. Styer M95 straight pull carbine. 1930'ish I guess. If I had to guess - '38 I think.

I didn't take any before pics, not sure why, just didn't get around to it, but it was pretty bad. Dirty, grimy, rusty and wood was all chipping and dry.

Original bolt condition, just before I started working on it:

Bolt, that was a motherf*ckr, less so than the bore, but still... I think I could get it a little cleaner, my wire brush is in the mail, but I am happy with it now. And it only took me two goes to put it back together this time, without drawing blood.

So, first thing first, rust in the bore. Good rifling, but rusty and dirty AF. Trying my 44 brush in 8mm bore worked until the brush became too compact and that was that. Thinking, surely I am not the first - Google to the rescue; and ordered this little thing: http://www.big45.com. Holly crap monkey - this thing is goooood. Anyway, scrub, scrub, scrub then scrub some more and I am 98% there. While at it, removed all the external rust patches with that wire thing, as advertised, bluing stayed, rust gone (me getting new bore cleaner, Hello, can I please have the most corrosive solvent you have, yep. Opened the bottle and my eyes started watering - on to a winner).

Ghettoing it up a bit, to keep the blast radius to a minimum.

Now I need to fire a few rounds to get the bore up to speed. Surplus arrived. We all know my OCD with that. Modern brass and projectiles are in the mail.

Wood, nothing new here. Washed with some citric thing I had in the laundry, which took everything off. Lite sanding to get whiskers under control. Re-oil, steel wool, wax. Had a look, all the old markings came out better than before. After doing this and rust clean up on the bolt - I even found new ones, lol.

And final product:

I'll take bigger photos during daylight; and after I test fire it (and it remains in one piece). So far, looks promising.

:)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 May 2017, 7:35 am

Jolly good show old bean. Turned out quite nicely.

I have found a generous quantity of something like g96 or ballistol with a gentle rub of 0000 steel will also clean up surface rust quite nicely.

If you die during the first shot, can I have your stuff?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 May 2017, 9:56 am

Supaduke wrote:Jolly good show old bean. Turned out quite nicely.

Why thank you 'old chap. Now I need to figure out starting loads. I'll start a new thread for that.

Supaduke wrote:I have found a generous quantity of something like g96 or ballistol with a gentle rub of 0000 steel will also clean up surface rust quite nicely.

Steel wool + oil worked well on some, needed something a little more aggressive on others. But this thing was on hand, since I was scrubbing the bore with it, so I just used that.

Supaduke wrote:If you die during the first shot, can I have your stuff?

Only if I don't I get to have your stuff, deal?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 May 2017, 11:36 am

IMG_0564.JPG
No deal
IMG_0564.JPG (29.01 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 May 2017, 3:18 pm

Latest toy,
Portuguese 1886 Kropatschek Carbine, developed from the 1881 Hungarian Kropatschek Gendarmerie the Portuguese contract were chambered to fire the Guedes cartridge 8x60R, and later loaded with the Austrian Kropatschek 8x56R cartridge, which was interchangeable. Only 4000 carbines were made, and I have another one but the bayonet lug and nose cap are missing.
Attachments
Krop Carb 2.jpg
Krop Carb 2.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles