Show me your milsurps

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Show me your milsurps

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2018, 2:16 pm

Just tried a lighter plinking load in the '03-A3.
Berry's 123gn .311" copper plated on 15gn of Trailboss.
At 50m 5rds into 33mm and 50mm groups.
The 50mm group was at a 19mm diamond of tape that I could barely see anyway, but was completely obscured by the front sight. The 33mm group was at a 50mm target, much easier to see.
I'll make up fifty rounds for more testing. I bought these to try in the .303/7.62x54R but they're too small for both, work well in the .30-06 though.

I also tried cast Lee .309" 150gn bullets with terrible results, most of them keyholed over an area about 600mm square at 50m.
Attachments
20180603_122953b.jpg
20180603_122953b.jpg (410.9 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
20180603_124536b.jpg
20180603_124536b.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2751 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Jun 2018, 3:34 pm

bladeracer,
You must have good eyes to see that tiny green thing at 57 yards :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2018, 5:12 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:bladeracer,
You must have good eyes to see that tiny green thing at 57 yards :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Not at all, it's mostly a matter of having a rough idea of where the mark is on the paper and just pointing in that general area :-)
I do like the smaller aperture though, I think that helps a lot.
https://shootingsight.com/product/03a3-reduced-aperture/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 3:52 pm

I've had a neighbour in this week for some tips on reloading for his .30-06 ADL (one of the better poly stocks I've yet seen).
He has some Remington once-fired brass (150gn, 155gn and 180gn bullets) and grabbed some 180gn Interlock SP's and CCI No.200 LR primers.

He likes what the factory ammo does already, so I tried to work up something equivalent to that for him to start out with.
I decided AR2209 offers good case fill, good velocity and good pressure behind the 180gn bullet. Extrapolating from ADI data gave me a 56.0gn charge to give him the 2700fps specified by Remington for their 180gn CoreLokt load. He hasn't got any factory ammo that we can confirm their claimed velocity with. He'll be over tomorrow to test shoot them to see if they're good, then he can load the rest of his brass up and get back out in the bush. Before letting him shoot a load I designed though, I wanted to shoot them through my rifle just to ensure they're safe, so I loaded up ten of them, the only differences being that I used Remington 9-1/2 magnum primers and new unfired Sellier brass, and fired them through my M1903-A3. I put five reduced loads through it first to warm the barrel. I wanted to get velocities of the reduced loads but failed and had to move the chrono to get a shadow from the others. I missed the first reading but the velocities were 2666fps up to 2737fps. Mean was 2701.1fps.

At 50m, with the rear sight fully down, the full-power loads are about 55mm below PoA, and the reduced load is about 85mm lower than those. All were about about 12mm to the right, and there was no wind at all. I don't think I pulled a shot in the first group, so the low one might just be from the cold bore. I did pull one in the group alongside it unfortunately. But 3MoA seems pretty consistent which I'm happy about. We'll see what his scoped 700 can do with them tomorrow. I'm really impressed with the cheap Berry's bullet in particular.

After neck-sizing, the hotter loads have grown .003" (this might be more due to the fire-forming than the load itself), the reduced loads are unchanged.
Attachments
20180628_141408b.jpg
20180628_141408b.jpg (636.57 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2018, 9:59 am

bladeracer wrote:I've had a neighbour in this week for some tips on reloading for his .30-06 ADL (one of the better poly stocks I've yet seen).
He has some Remington once-fired brass (150gn, 155gn and 180gn bullets) and grabbed some 180gn Interlock SP's and CCI No.200 LR primers.

He likes what the factory ammo does already, so I tried to work up something equivalent to that for him to start out with.
I decided AR2209 offers good case fill, good velocity and good pressure behind the 180gn bullet. Extrapolating from ADI data gave me a 56.0gn charge to give him the 2700fps specified by Remington for their 180gn CoreLokt load. He hasn't got any factory ammo that we can confirm their claimed velocity with. He'll be over tomorrow to test shoot them to see if they're good, then he can load the rest of his brass up and get back out in the bush.

We had some fun. I had him start off with some of my light loads to warm the bore. Unfortunately, his rifle doesn't like these much at all. At 100m four-rounds grouped about 90mm, but they were 150mm low and right from the full-power loads, not much good for anything except coup-de-gras at point-blank ranges. But he enjoyed shooting them, no hearing protection required and barely any recoil. I might have to make up a bunch of them, maybe 10gn to 18gn and see if we can find a load that'll drop directly below his full-power load so he can use it for small game.

Then he shot a four-round group of 50mm right on target. With his 7-power scope he was more than happy with the results of his first reloads. I had him come back to 180m as he doubts he'd take a shot further than that, just to see what the drop is. He found the scope pretty weak at that range, and couldn't find a comfortable position, so his shots opened up to about 150mm. Drop is only about 90mm though.

He doesn't shoot much .30-06 so I don't see him getting into reloading until he gets himself a .223, but I think he's hooked :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles