Show me your milsurps

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Show me your milsurps

Post by Cooper » 25 Jan 2017, 9:48 am

I haven't worked how to post pics yet. But I have done some reloads for the Father in laws 1944 SMLE. It also has a central no 4 bracket on it. But no sight. Don't think it will turn up as the Father in law cannot remember clearly seeing in the last 30 years. I'd be interested in getting a new sight or putting smithless scope mount on as the Father in law cannot use the open sights with bad eyes/glasses etc. I try to work out how to post pics.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 27 Jan 2017, 7:51 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1009.5 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (550.77 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

Hopefully I've uploaded some pictures!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Jan 2017, 7:59 am

A very nice example there Cooper.

Was the wood shaved under the plate?

Do you get to shoot it much?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 27 Jan 2017, 8:18 am

Wylie27 wrote:A very nice example there Cooper.

Yeah the wood is shaved under the plate. Don't know why. All the numbers seem to match bolt/receiver/ rifle end. But the stock butt says 1945 whereas the rifle stamp says 1944.
I have done some reloads for it.
Hornady 150gr soft points
38grains of AR2208 (just started in the middle)
Sellior and Bellot cases.

I've only fired it about twenty times so but can hit a 10inch metal gong at 100 metres most of the time. The front sight was a bit loose and had to moved across. I wouldn't mind putting a smith less scope mount on and seeing how it can actually group with a scope. I am not the best with open sights. Need a bit more practice!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Jan 2017, 8:46 am

I am sure there was a reason for the shaving of the wood, maybe it was a fitment. Mine is shimmed which i am glad he did.

i am off to the farm this weekend and will be shooting it for the first time.. Picked up some PPU factory ammo for it.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 27 Jan 2017, 10:47 am

Cooper wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:A very nice example there Cooper.

Yeah the wood is shaved under the plate. Don't know why. All the numbers seem to match bolt/receiver/ rifle end. But the stock butt says 1945 whereas the rifle stamp says 1944.

Maybe it was a Happy New Year rifle :)

I understand things were a little busy at that time and rifles were in high demand. Anything could have happened to get that out the door.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Jan 2017, 6:11 am

G'day Cooper,
Wood was removed from that area in order to fit the sight mounting plate square and parallel to the rifles axis. It needed to be done for most diopter sights such as the Lane, Parker Hale etc. A Central sight can often be found by asking around at VRA ranges, or buy a brand new T-Mac from Jeff Pannan at the next gunshow. (T-Mac are the inheritors of the Central sight and all parts are interchangeable) You will be looking at $180 to $250 for a Central or $225 for a T-Mac. (That might have changed)Cheers.
PS: I bought a no drill scope mount from Addley Precision of Canada and find them to be very good.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 28 Jan 2017, 11:02 am

I feel like I should add to this thread, but if I included all the sporterized milsurps as well my post would lead into another page.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 28 Jan 2017, 11:37 am

Heckler303 wrote:I feel like I should add to this thread, but if I included all the sporterized milsurps as well my post would lead into another page.

You Bubba gunned your milsurps?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 28 Jan 2017, 12:01 pm

Title_II wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:I feel like I should add to this thread, but if I included all the sporterized milsurps as well my post would lead into another page.

You Bubba gunned your milsurps?

Nah, me and the old man collect bubba'd Lee Enfields and M17/P14s and make them happy little sporters.

However, I am guilty of bubba gunning one item...

If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Cooper » 29 Jan 2017, 6:40 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Cooper,
Wood was removed from that area in order to fit the sight mounting plate square and parallel to the rifles axis. It needed to be done for most diopter sights such as the Lane, Parker Hale etc. A Central sight can often be found by asking around at VRA ranges, or buy a brand new T-Mac from Jeff Pannan at the next gunshow. (T-Mac are the inheritors of the Central sight and all parts are interchangeable) You will be looking at $180 to $250 for a Central or $225 for a T-Mac. (That might have changed)Cheers.
PS: I bought a no drill scope mount from Addley Precision of Canada and find them to be very good.

Thanks for the info No1Mk3 I'll check out the Tmac and Addly Precision mounts.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2017, 1:49 pm

Spotted this just now on Ebay and remembered you guys discussing it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Central-4-Peep-Sight-/112292273213
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2017, 10:22 pm

Alright guys, here it is... Schmidt-Rubin 1911 (AKA K11).

I intentionally went after the K11 and not K31. This is not to say I wouldn't like to get my hands on a K31, though to be perfectly honest I am take it or leave it on that one and I had a couple of offers, but at this stage I was after K11. Just like I was after a Mosin made in specific period, etc. I like the action, for its time one of a kind engineering masterpiece. So, I really wanted that, a rifle built by Shmidt and not something else. K11 is the last rifle designed by Shmidt, K31 by someone else. There are small nuances and biggest one being the bolt, doesn't bother me. I am aware that K31 is overall a better rifle (marginally), but if I wanted a better rifle I'd get a Tikka or a Browning... I wanted a straightpull Shmidt-Ruben carbine, which happens to be K11 (K31 shares the same name, but wasn't designed by Shmidt).

I had couple of people get in touch from Usedguns, but in the end I ended up getting it from a dealer, $300 cheaper than the closest offer. Wood, I think great for something that old. Bore - excellent.

I am not going to refurbish the stock on it. It could do with a bit of steaming and 000 sand paper, but I just love the character it has now. But I am thinking of rubbing it down with Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax (nothing else, no oil), undecided, open to advice.

Now, I am shaking with anticipation, while I wait for dies and brass to get delivered :D
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2017, 10:23 pm

Oh and came with original sling and muzzle cap (in photos), which is cool. Based on serial number search on www.swisswaffen.com, this old girl is at the ripe age of 90.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 09 Feb 2017, 11:06 pm

Very nice indeed :mrgreen: I like the fact you got original sling and muzzle cap :)

Also very pleased you love her the way she is (must have good taste) and I agree (no cosmetic surgery required imo) love her the way she is... (Just not to much in front of the missus mate :lol: they get jealous you know ) :thumbsup:

I personally don't think that a little oiling would detract anything, wood in general seems to like it... If you sanded her all back and make her look all store bought then that would detract imo, but as your eye's are capable to see the beauty before them, that's clearly not about to happen :thumbsup:

I'm :mrgreen: with envy...

Now where is that ranking thread :lol:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 10 Feb 2017, 12:39 am

I don't think I've ever seen one of those. What the heck is on the muzzle?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 10 Feb 2017, 12:44 am

A muzzle protector cap that they come with.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 10 Feb 2017, 1:37 am

thanks! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 10 Feb 2017, 5:32 am

I've been using the BLO/Turps/wax mixture.

A little shoe polish tin, or in my case, an empty slug gun pellets tin works well.

Mix 1 part BLO, one part turps and one part beeswax.

Best mixed on a nice warm day. Put the tin out on the sun, get it warm and stir occasionally. Once cooled you get a nice paste. Rub on sparingly, leave it for 10-15 mins then buff off. Leaves a nice sheen that is not glossy. Do it as many times as you like. Finish gets better with time as you handle the firearm. Problem with wax on its own is it generally doesn't deal well with being handled.

The mixture will preserve the stock nicely and doesn't remove any finish or character. Also makes the stock water resistant.

Works better if warmed gently with a heat gun or left in the sun after application.

Best part is, if the stock gets a little nick or scratch you can just go straight over it with another coat and buff it out.

Edit: oops wrong thread, but lovely looking rifle JS, well done. I like it.

Actually it looks rubbish and worthless, give it to me so I can relieve you of the embarrassment of owning such a thing ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 10 Feb 2017, 6:32 am

Supaduke wrote:Actually it looks rubbish and worthless, give it to me so I can relieve you of the embarrassment of owning such a thing ;)

Thanks man! Appreciate it. Post credit card details, so I know where to send.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 10 Feb 2017, 7:12 am

Yeah, this was the first thing I've noticed.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 10 Feb 2017, 7:59 am

Check under the butt plate of your k11. A lot of the Swiss rifles have a tag under the butt plate with the details of the soldier they were issued to. My k31 doesn't have it as it was from a late private issued batch near the end of production when the Swiss switched to stgw 57
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 10 Feb 2017, 8:02 am

Ha, I'll need to check...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 Feb 2017, 9:13 am

That bolt must weigh a ton :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 21 Feb 2017, 11:26 am

TheDude wrote:Check under the butt plate of your k11. A lot of the Swiss rifles have a tag under the butt plate with the details of the soldier they were issued to. My k31 doesn't have it as it was from a late private issued batch near the end of production when the Swiss switched to stgw 57

Checked. Someone been there before me :/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Feb 2017, 11:28 am

bentaz wrote:
20170221_110337.jpg

Just got a carcano. Booyaah!

Nice, nice. But didn't you say something about no more guns and more reloading. Yeah... Lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 21 Feb 2017, 12:48 pm

What if a person is not heavily experienced with tinkering with rifle internals etc. such as I. Is it still possible/advisable to get into the milsurp game?
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 21 Feb 2017, 1:01 pm

Lokvo wrote:What if a person is not heavily experienced with tinkering with rifle internals etc. such as I. Is it still possible/advisable to get into the milsurp game?

I don't think anyone is until they learn, yeah? Read, research, read more, ask questions, ask for help buy :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 21 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

My advice is be wary of exceptionally cheap Milsurps. Spend a few extra dollars and get a decent rifle. That $250 .303 is cheap for a reason.

You don't need any real expertise to own and use milsurp rifles. They operate exactly the same as any other rifle. YouTube is brimming with knowledge about anything you need to know such as disassembly of the bolt etc.

Milsurps by design are elegantly simple. Ask questions , read forums. You will learn just like all of us did at one point.

Personally I always value mechanical and barrel condition as the priority. Milsurps will have dings and scratches in the timber, it's just how they are. Stocks can be repaired and improved but a shot out barrel is worthless, no matter how pretty the wood is.

And just be aware that there is a lot of snobbery in collecting Milsurps. Rise above it and ignore it. It's your gun, do what you like with it. Unless you want to sporterise it, in which case you should be drawn and quartered lol.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 21 Feb 2017, 2:29 pm

And nice find on the carcano Bentaz, looks pretty cool.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles