Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 04 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

happyhunter wrote:452s are still in production as the Scout and in left hand models.. and there are heaps of used ones around. If you want one that shoots good as an Annie get the Brno model 2.

I stand corrected - thanks.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rsj223 » 04 Dec 2016, 10:09 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:
rsj223 wrote:
in2anity wrote:How about a 452? I'd take a 452 over a 455, I've heard/read about mixed results when it comes to 455 accuracy.

452 only used now I understand

Although they've stopped making them, you were still able to get some from Winchester Australia. Failing that, both Horlsey Park and Abellas have got a number in stock and have specials going.

Tried Winchester and all gone, other problem is that I have credit at one shop only and thats a pain
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2016, 6:50 am

What about a Savage Mk2 BV? got one of them and it's a cracker little rifle, super smooth action, triggers brilliant (worked) and it shoots very well indeed for a cheapy. I dropped it into a Boyds Applejack Thumbhole stock and is a terrific little hunting outfit that the whole family use (girls) they love it and it doesn't miss too often at all I can tell you.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SHV » 05 Dec 2016, 9:28 am

bigfellascott wrote:What about a Savage Mk2 BV? got one of them and it's a cracker little rifle, super smooth action, triggers brilliant (worked) and it shoots very well indeed for a cheapy. I dropped it into a Boyds Applejack Thumbhole stock and is a terrific little hunting outfit that the whole family use (girls) they love it and it doesn't miss too often at all I can tell you.

poor little rabbit :lol:
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2016, 9:54 am

:D It didn't feel a thing! :D

Good way to teach em how to shoot em in the head without practicing on the live thing. This one was around 70-80m away from memory which is a good distance for a 22 on the bunnies, if they can hit them consistently at that distance they should be good to go.

I generally make the girls take shots on rabbits in the head, that way the rabbit does there and then and feels no pain :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 05 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Yeah I seen your rifle and how good it looks, still leaning to the Anschutz but have a few more weeks yet.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2016, 7:27 am

rsj223 wrote:Yeah I seen your rifle and how good it looks, still leaning to the Anschutz but have a few more weeks yet.

Yeah just buy the Annie if you want one mate, you can always sell it if it turns out to be a dud. :thumbsup: Mate bought one with the 54 action and it's a rippa from all accounts.

I had a Annie years ago as a teenager and it was ok, not sure how it shot group wise as I wasn't thinking about that sort of thing back then, we only ever worried about whether it could hit a bunny in the head and it did that fine so all good as far as I was concerned. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 06 Dec 2016, 7:39 am

bigfellascott wrote:not sure how it shot group wise as I wasn't thinking about that sort of thing back then

It's funny you say that; I have the exact same memories about my childhood - the thought never occurred to me to ever systematically gauge the accuracy of the various rifles and air-guns I had (access to) - so long as they hit what I pointed at I was happy. I wish I could go back and test them, because nowadays I'm so curious about such things...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Dec 2016, 8:07 am

I found this quote about Annie actions which I thought was nicely worded: "The 54 is a work of art. Glides like butter and locks up like a bank vault. The 64 is a more utilitarian design. Light weight and simple. Whilst the 54 is usually used in Olympic shooting, the accuracy is predominantly in the barrel." <EDIT: paraphrased a little to be more truthful>
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2016, 11:20 am

in2anity wrote:I found this quote about Annie actions which I thought was nicely worded: "The 54 is a work of art. Glides like butter and locks up like a bank vault. The 64 is a more utilitarian design. Light weight and simple. Whilst the 54 is usually used in Olympic shooting, the accuracy is predominantly in the barrel." <EDIT: paraphrased a little to be more truthful>

Sounds about right, :thumbsup:
in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:not sure how it shot group wise as I wasn't thinking about that sort of thing back then

It's funny you say that; I have the exact same memories about my childhood - the thought never occurred to me to ever systematically gauge the accuracy of the various rifles and air-guns I had (access to) - so long as they hit what I pointed at I was happy. I wish I could go back and test them, because nowadays I'm so curious about such things...

Yeah it was never something that entered my mind as child and even today I tend not to focus to much on that side of things, I'm happy if something can shoot around 1inch or there abouts - good enough for hunting purposes for 99% of shooting situations from my experience.

Sadly hunters all think we need every bullet in the same hole or else their rifles are duds and need replacing with a "Better one" fact is there are a lot more variables happening out in the paddock and we generally don't have the luxury of a flash rest and rear bags and time to concentrate on our breathing and known distances etc etc, it's pretty much spot what you want to shoot, line it up and take the shot before it buggers off.

I've still got handloads I haven't tested on paper that I still use to shoot bunnies out around 270m+ with good consistency, for all I know the shoot like crap on paper but they work in the field and that's all I care about, same goes for some of the 22 ammo I use for hunting, some of it's only good for around the 1inch mark on paper but out in the field I seem to hit the majority of stuff I use it on so I guess it's good enough for the job but those who would shoot it on paper would scoff at the idea of using it for hunting because it doesn't shoot all in the same hole.

I think the thing that getting small groups does however is give you some confidence that your outfit shoots fine and I guess that's not a bad thing to have but it's only part of the big picture as far as I'm concerned.

Diff matter of course if you are target shooting and I guess what level of target shooting one participates in (ie olympic or just a bit of fun at the range trying to shoot good groups) will determine what type/brand of rifle one buys.

I've got a mate who's got a fully tricked out Brno Mod 2 I think it is all built by Redback Precision if memory serves me correctly and it cost up around the $6k mark from memory, he's not a competitor as such but just liked the outfit and got it for a good price apparently (I think he picked it up for around $3k) so a good buy I guess (way too much to spend on a rifle for a bit of plinking at the range in my opinion but he's happy to drop that sort of coin so so be it, his decision.

Me I'm just a pure hunter these days and I'm glad to not be all caught up in the tiny groups is a must mindset anymore. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Dec 2016, 11:30 am

A good 3 shot group is walking up to 3 dead bunnies :)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:A good 3 shot group is walking up to 3 dead bunnies :)

Man after my own heart - all I need is the first shot to be on the money each time and I'm happy :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 07 Dec 2016, 7:26 am

bigfellascott wrote:Diff matter of course if you are target shooting and I guess what level of target shooting one participates in (ie olympic or just a bit of fun at the range trying to shoot good groups) will determine what type/brand of rifle one buys

You hit the nail on the head - unlike my childhood, nowadays I predominantly target shoot (mainly because employment is in the cities, so that's all you've got), so group sizes are much more relevant to me now.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2016, 8:58 am

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Diff matter of course if you are target shooting and I guess what level of target shooting one participates in (ie olympic or just a bit of fun at the range trying to shoot good groups) will determine what type/brand of rifle one buys

You hit the nail on the head - unlike my childhood, nowadays I predominantly target shoot (mainly because employment is in the cities, so that's all you've got), so group sizes are much more relevant to me now.

That's it mate, you have to work out what your needs are then buy the appropriate rifle from there to suit those needs, simple really when you think about it hey.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 08 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

CCI subs seem to be grouping well out the old Brno :D
Attachments
Photo0179.jpg
Photo0179.jpg (171.13 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2016, 8:52 pm

happyhunter wrote:

CCI subs seem to be grouping well out the old Brno :D

The perfect use for a Brno and what they were designed for. I love using mine, it's not as accurate as the Savage when it comes to shooting groups as such but it certainly works very well on bunnies that's for sure and seems to roll them most of the time. Mine used to love those Orange Box Win Power Points, sadly they don't make them anymore but I think the Subs and 40gn PP work ok going by all the dead rabbits it nails so all good there. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 06 Feb 2017, 9:54 pm

Just an update, still haven't got a replacement yet but went to the LGS held them all again and still sitting with The Lithgow, Anschutz 1416dhb and a cheaper item the Ruger American
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Feb 2017, 5:51 am

For the love of satans night dress pick one man! ;)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 6:03 am

Wylie27 wrote:For the love of satans night dress pick one man! ;)

Yep any of them should be a good choice and if not you can always sell em on.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 07 Feb 2017, 8:16 am

Yeah I know just thinking about doing it all again hurts
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Feb 2017, 8:49 am

It won't hurt when you have it in your hands..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Feb 2017, 8:49 am

rsj223 wrote:Just an update, still haven't got a replacement yet but went to the LGS held them all again and still sitting with The Lithgow, Anschutz 1416dhb and a cheaper item the Ruger American

I need to practice going to a gun store and NOT buying something.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 8:52 am

rsj223 wrote:Yeah I know just thinking about doing it all again hurts

Yes it can be a PITF but still you have to make a choice and get going, we can all say buy this buy that this is better because etc etc but at the end of the day they all represent a risk of some sort as to whether you like them or not, just chose the one you like the most and go from there, as I said if it's not what you thought it would be sell it and buy something else (we've all had to go through the same thing and some have been successes and others failures, such is life - move on and hope for better results next time.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 07 Feb 2017, 12:51 pm

knowsnothin wrote:I need to practice going to a gun store and NOT buying something.

Can't be learned :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 07 Feb 2017, 7:01 pm

Wylie27 wrote:It won't hurt when you have it in your hands..

Yeah I know maybe I want them all :mrgreen:
bigfellascott wrote:
rsj223 wrote:Yeah I know just thinking about doing it all again hurts

Yes it can be a PITF but still you have to make a choice and get going, we can all say buy this buy that this is better because etc etc but at the end of the day they all represent a risk of some sort as to whether you like them or not, just chose the one you like the most and go from there, as I said if it's not what you thought it would be sell it and buy something else (we've all had to go through the same thing and some have been successes and others failures, such is life - move on and hope for better results next time.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I promises to decide and get on with it :drinks:
knowsnothin wrote:
rsj223 wrote:Just an update, still haven't got a replacement yet but went to the LGS held them all again and still sitting with The Lithgow, Anschutz 1416dhb and a cheaper item the Ruger American

I need to practice going to a gun store and NOT buying something.

No chance I buy at least some ammo just because
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 8:50 pm

Which one do you like the most and can afford.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 07 Feb 2017, 9:25 pm

Ok Ruger will save about $300 (more ammo) but no guarantee how accurate, Annie should be the most likely to group well and last a long time? and cost me another $300ish, Lithgow... AUS should group well but feed crap even on the $$$, as I say they all feel ok to me dont like the new CZ looked and felt Sako
I have a Ruger in 17hmr and is pretty good as most 17"s are I think the more I talk the harder it gets.
I think I'm 50/50 Ruger and Annie
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 9:29 pm

Heads Annie, Tails Ruger :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 07 Feb 2017, 9:39 pm

:lol: :drinks: :lol:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm

rsj223 wrote:Ok Ruger will save about $300 (more ammo) but no guarantee how accurate, Annie should be the most likely to group well and last a long time? and cost me another $300ish, Lithgow... AUS should group well but feed crap even on the $$$, as I say they all feel ok to me dont like the new CZ looked and felt Sako
I have a Ruger in 17hmr and is pretty good as most 17"s are I think the more I talk the harder it gets.
I think I'm 50/50 Ruger and Annie

What about the new Ruger American Rimfire Target model - are they shooting any better than the originals?
Attachments
RAR Target.JPG
RAR Target.JPG (60.81 KiB) Viewed 6641 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 08 Feb 2017, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles