well i'll be buggered

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: well i'll be buggered

Post by allan » 11 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

Gwion wrote:By the way, i have been using Rolf Hey for my gun smithing since you first recommended him to me and i am very happy. The only thing that blows it out is my ability (or lack of) to read wind.

So, when you say you had the rifle built for your wife; apart from the new barrel fitted; what other work did you get done to the Lithgow? Did Rolf do the work for you?

Don't be too concerned about wind reading ability - My wife & I have over 100 years hunting/shooting experience between us (Yes, We're OLD!) and neither of us has ever mastered that skill (I think patience could be involved there!).
Yes, Rolf built the rifle. I'm closer to Port Moresby than any decent Australian town but I send the majority of my work to him.
Fair bit of work involved for the end result but I could see the potential in these actions and was curious to extract the best from one. So...A Maddco 22RF BR profile blank is pretty much a "drop in". Match chamber, 11 degree target crown, tuned ignition/headspace, action bedding, trigger modified and set to a tad below 20 ozs.
I chose the laminated stock for stability & strength.
This rifle will run with any Anschutz 54 I currently have. Very comfortable off hand, OK with a bi-pod and rides bags quite well. I had originally planned to have a classic style stock inletted but after shooting Lithgow's stock for a while, I found it very well designed for its intended purpose. My wife actually thinks it looks NICE but I don't think I'd go that far...Certainly practical though.
Talking of True Flite - Rolf built a custom for me using a Cooper 57M action & TF Ultra Match - Now that is a nice gun and shoots as good as it looks ;) It's the one in the middle of this pic.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Gwion » 11 Dec 2016, 9:01 pm

Very nice indeed! Thanks for the info, Allan.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wobble » 12 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

That Cooper 57M :o
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia