well i'll be buggered

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

well i'll be buggered

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2016, 8:29 pm

it looks like I'm gunna buy a crossdressing .22 yep I'm gunna get a lithgow arms la101 :allegedly:
Last edited by deye243 on 10 Dec 2016, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: well i'll be buggered

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2016, 8:55 pm

I knew it wouldn't take you long to want to get back into shooting! :D Hopefully the Lithy doesn't suffer the feed issues that some seem to experience with them from time to time. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2016, 8:59 pm

I think you will find that most of that will be limp wristed use of the bolt Scott :lol: .

but I have heard that some that experienced it was fixed with a new mag :thumbsup:

but before I use it it will go to the smith for a trigger job and have the lugs lapped .

I would like a laminated stock but my local has the stock ones at $980 so I'm thinking

at that price bugger it .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2016, 9:05 pm

deye243 wrote:I think you will find that most of that will be limp wristed use of the bolt Scott :lol: .

but I have heard that some that experienced it was fixed with a new mag :thumbsup:

but before I use it it will go to the smith for a trigger job and have the lugs lapped .

I would like a laminated stock but my local has the stock ones at $980 so I'm thinking

Yeah hopefully a diff mag will sort it mate, I know of a few that got sick of the issue and sold them on. I had a look at a 17hmr a fella had that was the Lam version. It was a heavy little sucker which was a real surprise, nicely made looking bit of kit none the less and I would consider one if I was in the market for another 22 for hunting. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2016, 9:11 pm

I was thinking real hard on the 17 as they have a cut barrel in stead of a hammer forged barrel .

and as for mags I still have 4 10 shot cz mags from my 452 . and 4000+ rounds of .22 win subs

and 555 box's my cz loved both .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Dec 2016, 9:18 pm

deye243 wrote:I think you will find that most of that will be limp wristed use of the bolt Scott :lol: .

Magnum sports are selling it for 850 at the moment.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2016, 9:23 pm

Wylie27 wrote:

Magnum sports are selling it for 850 at the moment.

and by the time I s**t in the locals face with having a new rifle sent to him from another dealer and paying all the transfers

it would end up costing me more :thumbsdown: .

be ok if I lived up that way but I'm down in Mexico
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Dec 2016, 9:34 pm

Yeah sorry i saw that after i posted...

I am one of those limp wristed guys you spoke of lol.

Mine had several issues along, which new internals werre made by LA. Which then affected the magazine.

Long story short, new CZ mag and it operates 99% of the time....When it fails it is usually me not loading the mag correctly..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2016, 9:37 pm

I use the steel ones and after I load them I give them a tap kind of like on a knife edge on the back and they work fine

but in the cz without the tap a lot of the time the tip of the pill would be pointing down and jam .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2016, 4:44 am

deye243 wrote:I was thinking real hard on the 17 as they have a cut barrel in stead of a hammer forged barrel .

and as for mags I still have 4 10 shot cz mags from my 452 . and 4000+ rounds of .22 win subs

and 555 box's my cz loved both .

I like the look of the lam or walnut stock versions, they look very nice indeed - just can't come at the plastic fantastic stocks on anything, I know they are practical etc, I just can't warm to them for some reason, maybe one day who knows (thought about it with the recent Tikkler purchase but just couldn't do it :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 1:54 pm

yep my old smith said one day I will buy a placy stock when they grow placy trees

then 2 years later he has 2 long range rifles and yep placy stocks . but there is a reason

for that .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2016, 3:44 pm

deye243 wrote:yep my old smith said one day I will buy a placy stock when they grow placy trees

then 2 years later he has 2 long range rifles and yep placy stocks . but there is a reason

for that .

Yeah they have their place mate no doubt about that. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 3:59 pm

after looking at these I will be getting a laminated one black ceracote :thumbsup:
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2016, 4:01 pm

Noice!

Still wish someone would by my t-bolt (for the asking price) so i can buy a lefty Lithgow in walnut....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 4:09 pm

Gwion wrote:Noice!

Still wish someone would by my t-bolt (for the asking price) so i can buy a lefty Lithgow in walnut....

haha no offence but IMO that Tbar just makes them but ugly .

now I was against the crossdresser because of the price as I belive that a rifle made in this country should go for

under $700 but a foray in to long range shooting over the last 2 years has taught me that quality cost money so

it will end up costing me $2500 so I will be happy as a long gun cost me $6500 done on the cheap .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2016, 4:24 pm

The tbolt is a well balanced little rifle and great to shoot. Left hand rifles are limited in choice and I didn't like the feel of CZ. I was always planning on the Lithgow for a NEW 22lr but they took too long to get the lefty out and I needed a lefty.

$6500 'on the cheap'.... our ideas of cheap are somewhat different! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm

if you want to hit a rabbit at 1000 plus consistently you won't do it for less .

and the big thing I find with most rim fires is the stocks are made for midgets that's why this time I only considered the annie or the crossdresser .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2016, 5:47 pm

I do like the stock design on them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 6:45 pm

Gwion wrote:I do like the stock design on them.

yes but the trigger guard should have been machined ally for this kind of money .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2016, 7:39 pm

deye243 wrote:

yes but the trigger guard should have been machined ally for this kind of money .

Fair call. I thought the trigger guard on the synth stock was integral? What is the guard on the laminate and walnut?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Dec 2016, 7:42 pm

Meh
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

Gwion wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Fair call. I thought the trigger guard on the synth stock was integral? What is the guard on the laminate and walnut?

Nylon bolt shroud knob and guard according to my dealer .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by allan » 09 Dec 2016, 8:33 pm

Although I would prefer steel or alloy, I can live with plastic when you get engineering, metal work and stock inletting like this on the LA101:
The Lumley Arms shrouds & knobs are a nice addition:
http://www.lumleyarms.com/lithgow-crossover
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 9:16 pm

nice allan
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2016, 5:05 am

Bloody oath well put together rifles.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by alby » 10 Dec 2016, 9:57 am

I went with the lam stock, combination of eye pleasing plus it just felt good in the hand. Walked into the store with full intention of going walnut but the lam seemed to jump out at me off the wall lol. For $160 on top the LGS are doing a Burris rimfire 3-9 with mounts included, fitted and bore sighted which I thought was a decent price considering the forever warranty that comes with it.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by allan » 10 Dec 2016, 11:03 am

deye243 wrote:nice allan

The laminated versions are just as nice :D
This is the one I had built for my wife. Check out the group - Her first 5 shots after I had sighted it in - And time has proved that effort wasn't a fluke.
I know a good 22 when I see it and these are darn good guns - especially with a Maddco fitted!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 10 Dec 2016, 1:39 pm

outstanding allan if mine shoots 4 x that I will be happy for what I want it for with the ammo I have in mind .

and I hope you went back and bought a wheel barrow full of that batch # ammo .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 5:17 pm

tack driver
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 11 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

allan wrote:
deye243 wrote:nice allan

The laminated versions are just as nice :D
This is the one I had built for my wife. Check out the group - Her first 5 shots after I had sighted it in - And time has proved that effort wasn't a fluke.
I know a good 22 when I see it and these are darn good guns - especially with a Maddco fitted!

As usual, Allan, both your/wife's shooting and your attention to detail when setting up a rifle are first class.

By the way, i have been using Rolf Hey for my gun smithing since you first recommended him to me and i am very happy. The work he did to my Howa action and the truflite barrel are great and even i can hold it (mostly) well under the MOA at 500yds. Best i've done so far is 3 consecutive shots into just over 1/4 MOA. The only thing that blows it out is my ability (or lack of) to read wind.

So, when you say you had the rifle built for your wife; apart from the new barrel fitted; what other work did you get done to the Lithgow? Did Rolf do the work for you?

Starting to toy with the idea of a Lithgow in right hand as a training rifle for my f-class shooting so i can practice in the back paddock with 22lr subs at 100 , 200 & 300 and keeping my left hand t-bolt as my walk around hunting/pest rifle. It would be good to know what you had done to get it shooting so tight (other than many many years of shooting practice).

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles