What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've heard?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've hea

Post by Wylie27 » 19 Dec 2016, 12:06 pm

$30 for the PTA in NSW.. :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Dec 2016, 12:08 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I love the myth that you need to spend twice as much on glass as you did your rifle - that one always cracked me up.

no way im spending two hundred on a scope :shock: :thumbsup:

:lol: you funny...

Who would spend a cee note on a rifle :shock: :D :lol:

I spent less than that on a shotgun :D still goin strong and smashing foxes and clays with great effect, best $60 I ever spent on a firearm ever! :drinks:

That logic doesn't hold here. Even a free firearm would cost at least $200. $20 for a serviceability cert and $180 for licensing fees

Thats plain legalised theft...
and I complain about the $9 victorian PTAs, not so much the amount, more the process..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 1:21 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I love the myth that you need to spend twice as much on glass as you did your rifle - that one always cracked me up.

no way im spending two hundred on a scope :shock: :thumbsup:

:lol: you funny...

Who would spend a cee note on a rifle :shock: :D :lol:

I spent less than that on a shotgun :D still goin strong and smashing foxes and clays with great effect, best $60 I ever spent on a firearm ever! :drinks:

That logic doesn't hold here. Even a free firearm would cost at least $200. $20 for a serviceability cert and $180 for licensing fees

:lol: you poor pricks in WA get slammed big time, glad I never ended up moving there I can tell ya (was on the cards about 20yrs or so ago) - dodged a bullet by the sounds of it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Ed9362 » 19 Dec 2016, 2:07 pm

not sure if it is a shooting myth but it seems that most non shooters think that bullets are made of nitro-glycerine and by simply dropping a live round it can explode killings everyone with a 5 mile radius.

they found a few shells of some description on a public train in Melbourne (probably fell out of someone's pocket) the media was carrying on like a 200LB bomb was hiding under a seat.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 2:16 pm

Ed9362 wrote:not sure if it is a shooting myth but it seems that most non shooters think that bullets are made of nitro-glycerine and by simply dropping a live round it can explode killings everyone with a 5 mile radius.

they found a few shells of some description on a public train in Melbourne (probably fell out of someone's pocket) the media was carrying on like a 200LB bomb was hiding under a seat.

Bloody scary hey :lol: like the one where ya house burns down and everyone in a 2mile radius will die from bullets exploding because of the heat etc (which is of course a load of dribble and the most you'd probably suffer from such an event is one in the eyeball if you were unlucky enough, most will give you a bruise or a scatch in reality. I watched a vid a few years back now that showed exactly what happens when a truck load goes up and the fire fighters were standing right next to it watching it burn and none got injured, some felt the occasional projectile hit their outfits and that's about it.

Myth busters also do a similar experiment and had similar results - even shooting bullets with bullets doesn't cause any issues going by some tests carried out.

I wonder if they got the bomb disposal fella's in to carry the ammo of the train :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 20 Dec 2016, 10:17 am

If you don't see any ammo or brass I probably wasn't there. I'm like Pig Pen from the Peanuts shows, there is ammo or brass falling off of me or out of my stuff wherever I go.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bluerob » 21 Dec 2016, 8:22 am

This is true...a bit off topic, but...the big cat story...

Years ago, I took a mate and his mate for a run around a property way out west in NSW when I lived and worked (sometimes...).

He spots something with yellow eyes, so, I give him the go ahead to shoot (making sure no cattle etc around). The distance would've been an easy 500m if not 700m. This guy was a VERY good shooter spending every Saturday at Malabar shooting 7.62 fullbore.

So, the boom goes off (he was using a .308) and after we drive over, a MASSIVE cat had its head nearly blown off.

This was no normal cat...it was bloody huge...I reckoned it was similar size to a lamb...had blue stripes through grey fur.

Never seen a feral cat that big again.

Spoke to a few of the old guys in town about it...then the Panther stories started (they'd escaped from a travelling circus, left over from WW2 etc.).

This was no Panther, but, it was the largest cat (yes, nearly went there, but chose not too) I've ever seen. It would've weighed quite a few kilos, no doubt.

I left it under the tree where he shot it in case a few porkers were desperate for a feed, but, the ants etc had the time of their lives....and no pigs.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 21 Dec 2016, 8:40 am

Yeah, there are some big feral cats being shot from time to time. Some big as foxes. There was one in the news paper not long back that an ranger shot up north that was freakin massive, but still an ordinary feral cat.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2016, 9:01 am

I saw a cat years ago that had no tail, was about the size of a staffy in height almost as solid, greeny grey coloured with a strippy pattern - haven't seen one that big since (scared the s**t out of me as I was behind some blackberries lining up a shot on a rabbit and I think it must have been eyeing off the same one, anyway I shot the bunny and next minute this thing came hurtling over the bushes - it went one way and I went the other LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Dec 2016, 9:05 am

They develop stripes and the tail gets shorter when they are a few generations feral. Don't know if it's true but there are stories that domestic cats were released from Portugese ships that landed on the west coast of Australia well before English settlement. Apparently some bones have been found and dated.. 'apparently'.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2016, 9:17 am

happyhunter wrote:They develop stripes and the tail gets shorter when they are a few generations feral. Don't know if it's true but there are stories that domestic cats were released from Portugese ships that landed on the west coast of Australia well before English settlement. Apparently some bones have been found and dated.. 'apparently'.

Yeah dunno mate, all I remember is it had SFA of a tail (about an 1" or 2 I guess), was longish and solid looking and about the height of a staffy/bull terrier type thing, I wasn't hanging around after seeing it I can tell ya (not your average cat that was for sure) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 21 Dec 2016, 10:17 am

We have Maine Coon cats here and some get very large.

^they get bigger than that. I had a pretty big one. I don't hate cats, I'll pet a pussy. But Maine Coons don't act like other cats. They tend to take an interest in human behavior, some follow basic commands, and they tend to avoid areas they've been taught they are not allowed to go. You can leave food out and they will put their front paws and head on the counter to see what it is and sniff it. Leave the house, come back an hour later and the food is still there. Give them pieces of the food and they eat it. don't get me wrong, they are not all miracles. But all the strong breed ones are different than all other cats.

Mine also came in the shower with us. He didn't really like to get wet so we tried not to splash him too much but they seem to have an interest in water. Mine was fascinated by me and/or mine in the shower and would try to stay out of the water and meow once in a while.

When I was studying the animal would sit in a chair at the table and watch me. When I stopped using the pencil he would try to catch my gaze and then touch the pencil. After I used the calculator he would look at it for a while and then he would tap on it and then look at me. He was not playing, it was like he was trying to mimic me. I know I could be anthropomorphizing but it was not normal cat behavior.
Last edited by Title_II on 21 Dec 2016, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 21 Dec 2016, 10:20 am

There are a few breeds of 'bob tailed' cats. The ones I've seen as pets are quite big and solid. I'd guess that a bobtail feral line would select for size and power over a few generations.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Smiley » 08 Jan 2017, 5:32 am

Title_II wrote:We have Maine Coon cats here and some get very large.
I know I could be anthropomorphizing but it was not normal cat behavior.

"anthropomorphizing"..... that word's too big for this forum. In future please use smaller words. :unknown:
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by superdave » 08 Jan 2017, 6:10 am

One of the bigger myths that I hear,or rather don't hear is the lack of sound that firearms make in the movies.
lots of clicky sounding, very polite bangs.

No concession to the fact that to stand near someone with something like a .357 makes you flinch from the shockwave as well as the noise.

The only movie that I can think of that is an exception to the rule is the cons v cops shootout in the movie "Heat".
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2017, 7:03 am

Ed9362 wrote:not sure if it is a shooting myth but it seems that most non shooters think that bullets are made of nitro-glycerine and by simply dropping a live round it can explode killings everyone with a 5 mile radius.

I think this is the video that proves safety is designed into ammo. Bugger all happens in a fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&sns=em
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2017, 7:18 am

I think this is the video that proves safety is designed into ammo. Bugger all happens in a fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&sns=em
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 08 Jan 2017, 10:16 am

superdave wrote:One of the bigger myths that I hear,or rather don't hear is the lack of sound that firearms make in the movies.
lots of clicky sounding, very polite bangs.

No concession to the fact that to stand near someone with something like a .357 makes you flinch from the shockwave as well as the noise.

The only movie that I can think of that is an exception to the rule is the cons v cops shootout in the movie "Heat".

That was a great movie and I also took notice of the sound and was impressed.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Jan 2017, 11:15 am

OB, good film. Helps explain that ammo shortage a while back.

Must...avoid...making...222...vs...223...comment...here...

By the way, which is better? .308 or 7.62x51?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 08 Jan 2017, 11:24 am

:lol:
Nice.... Hahaha
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Jan 2017, 5:51 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:OB, good film. Helps explain that ammo shortage a while back.

Must...avoid...making...222...vs...223...comment...here...

By the way, which is better? .308 or 7.62x51?

Thats easy - everyone know the 7.62x51 is betterer. Its used by the army people. :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Jan 2017, 5:57 pm

Unless mention in the previous pages (did I already mention?) I reckon the soft drink bottle over the muzzle of a 22rimfire turning it into a long range sniper weapon rifle, a steady platform (shootable of a bucking row boat, the gyroscopic stabilising nature of the PET material does it) AND of course removing all sound... I saw a bloke do it once... so I guess it's NOT a myth.
. :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 13 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Unless mention in the previous pages (did I already mention?) I reckon the soft drink bottle over the muzzle of a 22rimfire turning it into a long range sniper weapon rifle, a steady platform (shootable of a bucking row boat, the gyroscopic stabilising nature of the PET material does it) AND of course removing all sound... I saw a bloke do it once... so I guess it's NOT a myth.

Yep 100% true......I seent a man do it once too.....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jan 2017, 9:21 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Jan 2017, 8:40 am

happyhunter wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Unless mention in the previous pages (did I already mention?) I reckon the soft drink bottle over the muzzle of a 22rimfire turning it into a long range sniper weapon rifle, a steady platform (shootable of a bucking row boat, the gyroscopic stabilising nature of the PET material does it) AND of course removing all sound... I saw a bloke do it once... so I guess it's NOT a myth.

So you haven't heard of George Hayduke?

Not until I gogled his name.... tell me 'he' invented the soda-bottle sniper silencer?? :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 14 Jan 2017, 9:13 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 14 Jan 2017, 9:23 am

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Jan 2017, 10:38 am

happyhunter wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hayduke_%28author%29

I highly recommend people DO NOT download some of his books as some of the content is not legal in Australia.

Unfortunately, the 2yr metadata / continuous surveillance / flagged words (bomb making etc) means that nothing is innocent in the eyes of big bro now...

and, iirc in NSW 'blueprints' being anything with dimensions are 'outlawed' now... 3D printing and all....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 14 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

9mm is .45 set to stun. And real men don't stun.

Wait, I think I already said that :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 14 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles