What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've heard?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've hea

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2017, 1:20 pm

He would have done it ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jan 2017, 2:04 pm

Pay that one!!!! :clap:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by superdave » 19 Jan 2017, 4:24 pm

from the movies again: The hero is almost always shot in the shoulder. Never has his jaw blown off or is shot in the foot or the spine or the butt, never has to live in a wheelchair afterwards.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jan 2017, 4:34 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 19 Jan 2017, 7:59 pm

superdave wrote:from the movies again: The hero is almost always shot in the shoulder. Never has his jaw blown off or is shot in the foot or the spine or the butt, never has to live in a wheelchair afterwards.

Not forgetting the shoulder is a mass of bone, muscle, nerves, veins and arteries. He's all right in the next scene or chapter. Very little OT, unless, of course it's to introduce the therapist as his squeeze. ;)
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gwion » 20 Jan 2017, 7:34 am

Come on guys.... It's only a 'flesh wound', remember!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm

This goes back many years to when the Armed services adopted the then new 5.56mm to replace the 7.62 NATO round.

A reporter in a leading Sydney newspaper wrote up the new round as "high powered", "devastating wounds due to the high velocity" and could "blow of a mans arm with one shot"...etc.

He claimed that this was possible due to the fact that "the bullet tumbled in flight thus causing etc.... :crazy:

Think about that and what has changed with reporters writing on this subject - SFA :lol:

Cheers

I had the newspaper clipping but can't find it. Must be filed in a safe place... :problem:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 02 Feb 2017, 12:46 pm

RoginaJack wrote:This goes back many years to when the Armed services adopted the then new 5.56mm to replace the 7.62 NATO round.

A reporter in a leading Sydney newspaper wrote up the new round as "high powered", "devastating wounds due to the high velocity" and could "blow of a mans arm with one shot"...etc.

He claimed that this was possible due to the fact that "the bullet tumbled in flight thus causing etc.... :crazy:

Think about that and what has changed with reporters writing on this subject - SFA :lol:

Cheers

I had the newspaper clipping but can't find it. Must be filed in a safe place... :problem:

And they were right :)

Although the tumbling was not entirely accurate.

If I had to be shot, I'd choose 7.62 over 5.56 any day of the week. Provided we are talking military ball ammo. If we are talking soft points or BTHP, heck no! :(
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Feb 2017, 3:58 pm

eye fink the 'tumbling' is supposed to be post-impact :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 02 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:eye fink the 'tumbling' is supposed to be post-impact :unknown:

3) The 173 grain M118 round jacketing was found to explode on impact. All fragments of the exploding rounds followed an erratic path in both height and width. Each of the main cores began to tumble about two feet from initial impact.

Lucky I'm a skinny bugger.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Feb 2017, 9:14 pm

I don't recall the mention of "post impact" in the article....

The 5.56 was just starting to be tested by us dosy diggers and was very hush hush at the time. The section consisting of 9 men carried 4 different weapons - Rifle group - 7.62 SLR's, M.G. proup - 7.62 M60 belt fed machine gun, Scouts AR15 5.56 & SLR and section leader a trusty 9mm Owen gun, and none were interchangeable. I find it all quiet amusing now.

Actually, I'd prefer not to be shot with any of them.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 02 Feb 2017, 11:23 pm

That's a very good point!

5.56 yaws in flesh like any undeformed (FMJ/ball) spitzer bullet. But it is moving very fast and is very lightly constructed so it fragments after yaw. the fragments open up the edges of the temporary cavity and make it a permanent cavity. Exit wounds up to 6 inches are not unheard of.

Speaking of extremeties, this man was hit with a 5.56 military ball round in the leg. It missed the bone. The bone was shattered and severed into two pieces anyway. I believe it may have been Dr. Fackler that reviewed the story and remarked that this does happen. I've never heard of arms going flying, but I have no doubt that arms are severed from a practical standpoint. I knew a guy that accidentally shot a woman in the pelvis, leg, and knee. It was a complete disaster. No idea if she is alive but I have no doubt she did not fully recover.

Although my military experience is with the M855 round (SS109), I strongly suspect that the move to SS109, 1 in 7 twist rate, and shorter barrels has reduced the effectiveness of the round. Many experts and some lab tests dispute this. But the same people say "fleet yaw" (angle of yaw before impact for a given rifle) dictates the effectiveness or non-effectiveness of the round, yet they dismiss out of hand that a round with a lower twist rate might be more effective.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Feb 2017, 8:38 pm

One point I'll make about the 7.62 out of the SLR, it blew a 30cal hole in things and hit like a ton of bricks.

I've just don't get it with the 5.56, firing it out of a 12.5" or 14.5" barrels, after all, it's a high velocity round and just doesn't reach it's full potential (IMO) from short stuff. Might explain why the powers to be are looking at 7.62 slugs out of 5.56 cases. Why not a 7mm/223 brass?
cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Feb 2017, 8:12 am

RoginaJack wrote:One point I'll make about the 7.62 out of the SLR, it blew a 30cal hole in things and hit like a ton of bricks.

I've just don't get it with the 5.56, firing it out of a 12.5" or 14.5" barrels, after all, it's a high velocity round and just doesn't reach it's full potential (IMO) from short stuff. Might explain why the powers to be are looking at 7.62 slugs out of 5.56 cases. Why not a 7mm/223 brass?
cheers,

The circle of life.....
In 'desperation' they stick a 30cal in the tiny case....eventually returning to the 308win... just as Turkey have done...rejecting the 5.56 and the 7.62x39, but retaining the other round they were experienced with...

<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 12 Feb 2017, 9:43 pm

Yup. When dealing with a tiny bullet you are not going to do everything out of all weapons. The M16 and 5.56 were designed to meet specific specifications. Any change from there has tradeoffs.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm

superdave wrote:from the movies again: The hero is almost always shot in the shoulder. Never has his jaw blown off or is shot in the foot or the spine or the butt, never has to live in a wheelchair afterwards.

Forrest Gump....Shot in the buttocks :)
How is it that in movies the good guys can head shoot @ 50m with a snub nose revolver (Lethal Weapon) then in the next scene can't hit jack s**t with 6 rounds?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 6:59 am

brett1868 wrote:

How is it that in movies the good guys can head shoot @ 50m with a snub nose revolver (Lethal Weapon) then in the next scene can't hit jack s**t with 6 rounds?

I love the scenes where full automatic rifles are used and they can't hit s**t, them some one lets a shot off with a handgun and never misses :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2017, 7:59 am

bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

I love the scenes where full automatic rifles are used and they can't hit s**t, them some one lets a shot off with a handgun and never misses :lol:

Come on guys. Lethal Weapon went to great pains to establish both Riggs and Murtaugh's shooting skills. Riggs could draw and then print a smiley face at the range in about 2seconds, where as Murtaugh could place one shot at range very accurately but took ages to go through his 'ritual'. Man. I don't know... it's obvious that these guys were far better than any run of the mill henchman!!! Do you even watch movies or just wait for gun to appear???

:ugeek: :crazy: :wtf: :huh: :lol: :drinks: :friends: :sarcasm: :allegedly:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 8:20 am

The movie is actually Lethal 'Weepon', which is Afrikaans for 'Kaffir lover'.... what ever that means... ;)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by snag » 14 Feb 2017, 5:25 pm

"Riggs could draw and then print a smiley face at the range in about 2seconds,"

If you count the shots he fires and then the holes in the target, you'll see that there's one too many holes. Must have had a magic "JFK" special....
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles