What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've heard?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've heard?

Post by Tomek » 12 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

This thread could get contentious but it'd be good to hear about difficult to believe shooting myths and stories people have heard, mainstream or just one-off :)
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've hea

Post by juststarting » 12 Dec 2016, 11:35 am

... something about lever action semiautomatic machineguns, on the news recently, but wasn't following it that much.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Dec 2016, 11:37 am

From an old mate I believe implicitly. He was running a survey line south of Kununurra some years back, and had taken the 22 in case he saw something for the pot. Late in the day he was moving through some heavy bush heading back to the camp, and rounding a turn in this little track came face to face with a buff at hardly 20 feet, the surprised buff dropped his head and John thinking it was going to go him just lifted the 22 and fired into it's head. Thing dropped dead at his feet. Can't recommend 22 rimfire for buffalo but it worked that day for JS, reckons it took several rums to get back to earth afterwards! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2016, 11:53 am

The usual "I can hit such and such at 300m with a 22" type crap.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 12 Dec 2016, 12:13 pm

9mm have no stopping power.

Hollywood depicting shotgun victims getting blown across the room and through a window.

That barrel length has anything to do with velocity or pattern on a shotgun.

That you don't have to aim with a shotgun.

That a car door is sufficient cover from a centre fire rifle.

Shooting a car three times will make it explode.

People arguing over which larger calibre is better when the differences are only near the edge of its performance envelope, yet the far majority get no where near that edge.

5.56 is a major disadvantage to allied troops because it is not hard hitting or fatal enough.

I have lots more but that will do.
Last edited by Supaduke on 12 Dec 2016, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 12 Dec 2016, 12:35 pm

I've been told that the way you move after the bang affects the bullet. That even the ejecting gasses can be affected by how you move after pulling the trigger and thus affect the bullet. I find this hard to believe. I get that how you move in anticipation would have an effect, but certainly not once the trigger clicks :S
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Dec 2016, 12:43 pm

Supaduke wrote:9mm have no stopping power.

Hollywood depicting shotgun victims getting blown across the room and through a window.

That barrel length has anything to do with velocity or pattern on a shotgun.

That you don't have to aim with a shotgun.

That a car door is sufficient cover from a centre fire rifle.

Shooting a car three times will make it explode.

People arguing over which larger calibre is better when the differences are only near the edge of its performance envelope, yet the far majority get no where near that edge.

.556 is a major disadvantage to allied troops because it is not hard hitting or fatal enough.

I have lots more but that will do.

You forgot the 2 best ones;

unlimited magazines...
and
Absolutely zero recoil of a handgun
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Tomek » 12 Dec 2016, 12:46 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:From an old mate I believe implicitly. He was running a survey line south of Kununurra some years back, and had taken the 22 in case he saw something for the pot. Late in the day he was moving through some heavy bush heading back to the camp, and rounding a turn in this little track came face to face with a buff at hardly 20 feet, the surprised buff dropped his head and John thinking it was going to go him just lifted the 22 and fired into it's head. Thing dropped dead at his feet. Can't recommend 22 rimfire for buffalo but it worked that day for JS, reckons it took several rums to get back to earth afterwards! Cheers.

I've heard a similar story with bears. It depends a lot.. I mean, did he shoot the buffalo with a subsonic hollow point, or a HV round nosed? The angle of impact would be a big deal too. But I think a head-shot at close range can take most animals down, even from a .22. You just want reliability so as not to let those few end up injured.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Dec 2016, 1:13 pm

I don't need a large safe as I only need one rifle
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Dec 2016, 1:14 pm

I want one rifle that will do everything
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Dec 2016, 1:20 pm

Buy once Cry once as some sort smart thing to do to avoid being disappointed because you bought something that was expensive and in doing so will me you won't ever be disappointed in it because it's better - done that exact thing quite a few times over the years and I can tell you it cost me a lot of money to still be disappointed!

To me I reckon it smacks of something a business owner came up with to help sell their overpriced goods.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Dec 2016, 1:22 pm

Pretty much everything I've heard from the media and government about the Adler.

And every "fact" from GCA
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 12 Dec 2016, 1:42 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I don't need a large safe as I only need one rifle

:oops:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 12 Dec 2016, 2:05 pm

Supaduke wrote:.556 is a major disadvantage to allied troops because it is not hard hitting or fatal enough.

On US forums where blokes have AR-15s, how totally different and better 5.56 Mil Spec is compared to .223 Rem :lol:

(edit here: since some didn't seem to get it from the bold text I used, I do realise 5.56mm and .223 Rem are technically different.... but not different enough to have the stupid flame wars people have over them, that's the ridiculous part.)

And there is always one where someone "saw a guy" holding 2x .50 cals and getting double bulleyes at 100m.
Last edited by Hatter on 19 Dec 2016, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 12 Dec 2016, 2:07 pm

"My factory Sporter CZ 455 can shoot dime sized groups at 50yd all day long."

Sorry... couldn't help myself.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 12 Dec 2016, 2:30 pm

Hatter wrote:
Supaduke wrote:.556 is a major disadvantage to allied troops because it is not hard hitting or fatal enough.

On US forums where blokes have AR-15s, how totally different and better 5.56 Mil Spec is compared to .223 Rem :lol:

And there is always one where someone "saw a guy" holding 2x .50 cals and getting double bulleyes at 100m.

People who ridicule others but can't even get the cartridge designation correct that don't know 5.56mm NATO and 223 Remington actually are different.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 12 Dec 2016, 2:33 pm

Wife: another rifle? How much was that one?
Me: on special, only $300
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 12 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

happyhunter wrote:
Hatter wrote:

People who ridicule others but can't even get the cartridge designation correct that don't know 5.56mm NATO and 223 Remington actually are different.

Thanks , sorry I misplaced a decimal point. I feel blessed and privledged you have enlightened me with your sarcastic and useless input. I am always in awe of your awesome "I know everything, everyone else knows jack s**t" attitude. Please feel to furnish us with more nuggets of your superlative wisdom. As far far as .223 and 5 POINT 56mm being different , well no sh1t Sherlock, I dont recall anyone saying they were the same. They do however use the same pill and ballistics and performance are pretty much lineball. And you can chamber .223 in a 5 POINT 56mm. So if your done being a know it all they doesn't wish to participate in the fun of the thread, we can all move along thanks ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 12 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

the Australian Panther,,
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Tomek » 12 Dec 2016, 2:52 pm

That's me...
I have a 3 gun safe. I keep my rifle in the bag so it feels like a tight 2 gun safe. I honestly can't see myself having more than 3 guns. Maybe a handgun in the future too though so.. ... damn you!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Dec 2016, 2:52 pm

Gwion wrote:"My factory Sporter CZ 455 can shoot dime sized groups at 50yd all day long."

I was so close to writing something like that!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Dec 2016, 3:09 pm

Biggest myth or lie is that we don't need nor do we have the right to own firearms. Please note I am an American living in Oklahoma.

That Australian gun laws are reasonable and should be adopted in the USA, until more draconian laws can take their place.

Next is that a 22LR is almost harmless followed by the statement that a 22LR won't even go out to 200 yards.

Then there is the idea pushed by American media and liberal politicians that semiautomatic rifles that have detachable magazines and are usually black in color (read this as being ARs) have the mystical ability to turn sane people into crazy psychopaths, as if there are any other type of psychopaths, that are compelled to go and shoot up children.

That the people don't need guns for protection. This is most often stated by those who have many armed guards around them, they need them, we don't.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Dec 2016, 3:35 pm

tom604 wrote:the Australian Panther,,

Wouldn't be at all surprised if one of these turned up.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 12 Dec 2016, 3:51 pm

The theory that it may have been an escaped/released mascot from an American army unit stationed here during the Second World War holds some water. But it would certainly be dead now obviously and no chance of breeding so I'm thinking it's just a case of the legend lives on.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 12 Dec 2016, 5:07 pm

Tomek wrote:

That's me...
I have a 3 gun safe. I keep my rifle in the bag so it feels like a tight 2 gun safe. I honestly can't see myself having more than 3 guns. Maybe a handgun in the future too though so.. ... damn you!

I've been told that you shouldnt store your rifle in a gun bag in the safe as it will sweat and lead to rust and pitting, could be a QLD thing though, humidity up here is a killer.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tomek » 12 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

scotty87 wrote:
Tomek wrote:

That's me...

I've been told that you shouldnt store your rifle in a gun bag in the safe as it will sweat and lead to rust and pitting, could be a QLD thing though, humidity up here is a killer.

I will take your advice and not test this myth :)
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Browning » 12 Dec 2016, 7:27 pm

Gwion wrote:"My factory Sporter CZ 455 can shoot dime sized groups at 50yd all day long."

Hahaha gold! Thanks for the laugh!
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2016, 7:42 pm

Another one is if you shoot a heavy enough, fast enough bullet,it causes hydraulic shock through an animals arteries and kills it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 12 Dec 2016, 8:10 pm

bigpete wrote:The usual "I can hit such and such at 300m with a 22" type crap.

22's can do some amazing things at 300 and further when properly set up. You should give it a try, it is a lot of fun. Big target on a dusty road to walk shots in until you are set on the elevation and you can then turn out some suprisingly tight little groups when conditions are good. Hunting at that range is probably not such a good plan
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Dec 2016, 8:52 pm

SS doesn't rust like blue firearms do.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next