What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've heard?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What are some ridiculous shooting myths/tales you've hea

Post by Browning » 13 Dec 2016, 9:53 am

Distances shot in the field are surely the biggest myth out there... Funny how some 300m shots turn out to be no more than 150.....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 13 Dec 2016, 10:01 am

Life is full of little mysteries like the world is not round but slightly oval because its liquid and spinning.If a satellite has a low orbit a compensation has to be made when it flies over the equator if its 40,000 kms out it does not matter.If the polar seas melt the water will go down 33 ft.We are heading for another ice age man is holding it off with global warming.The Amazon rainforest is bigger now than in the 70s that stuff grows hard.For some reason people get hold of things that are not true without checking it out for themselves.I believe what I believe because I research it till I am satisfied.The spin imparted on a high speed projectile makes it dip on leaving the barrel then rise before dipping again.Old stuff like 45/70 may not do this and on my .222 Its hardly measurable as I run 2208 which is very slow for a 50gr PSP but I have a lot of it and it gives me 2800fps with 22.2 gr which is perfect for head shooting roos and foxes
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 13 Dec 2016, 10:12 am

I am assuming all rifling goes clockwise.Has anyone heard of rifling going anticlockwise
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 13 Dec 2016, 11:12 am

duncan61 wrote:Its the spin imparted by the rifling that causes the projectile to go down when leaving the barrel then rise up past the line of sight then start to drop at about 100 cos of gravity.Remember this little pill is pissbolting along its not a lawn dart.From memory the SLR in7.62 was .5 inch low at 26 yards 1.5 inch high at 100 yards spot on at 200 yards and 1.5 low at 300 yards as you are shooting man size targets it really doesnt matter
My 168gr sierra target bullets shoot higher at 100m than my 100 grain hunting bullets possibly because they are nearly twice as long and have more purchase on the rifling and spin more plus the meplat and ogive would come into play and they are going a lot slower at 2800fps compared to the 100gr at 3300fps.I have never shot the 100gr at 900m but doubt they would make it.I am nearly maxed on the scope with the target bullets that fly like bigass spears

You can plug the numbers into the Delta III, including spin and at no point does it show values above the bore line. The maths doesn't lie.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2016, 11:18 am

duncan61 wrote:I am assuming all rifling goes clockwise.Has anyone heard of rifling going anticlockwise

Old European stuff was "left hand" twist.
I don't think there's any rule either way, it just comes down to not having to make two sets of dies for the different directions.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2016, 11:28 am

duncan61 wrote:Life is full of little mysteries like the world is not round but slightly oval because its liquid and spinning.If a satellite has a low orbit a compensation has to be made when it flies over the equator if its 40,000 kms out it does not matter.If the polar seas melt the water will go down 33 ft.We are heading for another ice age man is holding it off with global warming.The Amazon rainforest is bigger now than in the 70s that stuff grows hard.For some reason people get hold of things that are not true without checking it out for themselves.I believe what I believe because I research it till I am satisfied.The spin imparted on a high speed projectile makes it dip on leaving the barrel then rise before dipping again.Old stuff like 45/70 may not do this and on my .222 Its hardly measurable as I run 2208 which is very slow for a 50gr PSP but I have a lot of it and it gives me 2800fps with 22.2 gr which is perfect for head shooting roos and foxes

That effect of the projectile is known as the Magnus effect but deemed so insignificant that few if any ballistics programs allow for it. External Ballistics is fairly well covered in Bryan Litz's book "Applied Ballistics for long range shooting", Not a bad read if you have the time.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2016, 11:32 am

duncan61 wrote:Its the spin imparted by the rifling that causes the projectile to go down when leaving the barrel then rise up past the line of sight then start to drop at about 100 cos of gravity.Remember this little pill is pissbolting along its not a lawn dart.From memory the SLR in7.62 was .5 inch low at 26 yards 1.5 inch high at 100 yards spot on at 200 yards and 1.5 low at 300 yards as you are shooting man size targets it really doesnt matter
My 168gr sierra target bullets shoot higher at 100m than my 100 grain hunting bullets possibly because they are nearly twice as long and have more purchase on the rifling and spin more plus the meplat and ogive would come into play and they are going a lot slower at 2800fps compared to the 100gr at 3300fps.I have never shot the 100gr at 900m but doubt they would make it.I am nearly maxed on the scope with the target bullets that fly like bigass spears

This is not correct at all.
What makes the bullet cross the line of sight is simply the angle between the scope and the bore. If you mount the scope so the line of sight is parallel with the bore the bullet will not cross the line of sight at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 13 Dec 2016, 11:33 am

I am thinking you are correct that the projectile does not go above the bore line.Its the sighting adjustment that gives that illusion.I am still certain that there is an amount of downforce as the bullet exits the muzzle due to the twist rate of the rifling then it goes on to its normal trajectory.I was taught this in the Aust army in the 80s but facts and truth are not always the military way
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Dec 2016, 11:40 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Now...

Sound moderators...

Come on SGB... everyone knows theyre really silencers... turning anyone who possesses one into an underworld longrange sniper hitman criminal...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

straightshooter wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Wife: another rifle? How much was that one?
Me: on special, only $300

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong!

The right answer is either
a) Honey, I've owned that rifle since before we were married. Is that how much interest you take in my hobby?
b) I sold another rifle to buy this one.

'On special' only kinda works for shoes and handbags.

Confucius said; never let my wife sell my guns for what I told Her I bought them....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

brett1868 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Life is full of little mysteries like the world is not round but slightly oval because its liquid and spinning.If a satellite has a low orbit a compensation has to be made when it flies over the equator if its 40,000 kms out it does not matter.If the polar seas melt the water will go down 33 ft.We are heading for another ice age man is holding it off with global warming.The Amazon rainforest is bigger now than in the 70s that stuff grows hard.For some reason people get hold of things that are not true without checking it out for themselves.I believe what I believe because I research it till I am satisfied.The spin imparted on a high speed projectile makes it dip on leaving the barrel then rise before dipping again.Old stuff like 45/70 may not do this and on my .222 Its hardly measurable as I run 2208 which is very slow for a 50gr PSP but I have a lot of it and it gives me 2800fps with 22.2 gr which is perfect for head shooting roos and foxes

That effect of the projectile is known as the Magnus effect but deemed so insignificant that few if any ballistics programs allow for it. External Ballistics is fairly well covered in Bryan Litz's book "Applied Ballistics for long range shooting", Not a bad read if you have the time.

Does that cover 50 metres with my pistol?? :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Dec 2016, 12:02 pm

brett1868 wrote:Myth - Bullets "Rise" after leaving the barrel.
Fact - They only rise if the barrel is angled up. If the barrel is parallel to the surface, the laws of physics prevent the projectile from rising.

I think this might get interesting..... :crazy:

I'll have to find the postings re curvature of the earth....

Complicating the matter would be that the earth curves, so the bullet, traveling in a straight line perpendicular to the centre of the earth would actually 'rise' if the bullet 'drop' was less than the curvature of the earth... my head is starting to hurt, but here goes;

Distant - curvature of earth
100m - 1mm
200m - 3mm
500m - 20mm
750m - 44mm
1000m - 79mm
1250m - 123mm
1500m - 177mm
2000m - 314mm

So... 'technically' if your projectile is launched with enough voom... that the drop at 1000m is LESS than 79mm then it would RISE relative to the earth....

But yes.... as soon as any projectile is released, the one primary force acting on it would be gravity, accelerating the mass toward the centre of the earth....

'Rise', other than the above curvature/drop defeating, would be casue by AERODYNAMIC effects, say if the nose is up relative to the direction of travel and the uplift counters the drop, partially......like the wing of a plane, NOT gravity defeating 'magic'...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by duncan61 » 13 Dec 2016, 12:02 pm

Cool I have learned something.Happy days.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

pointing the barrel above the horizontal does not cause bullet 'rise'... it causes TRAJECTORY....I suspect are old friend Brett may know a few things about such trivialities :lol: :P ;)

:welcome:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pomemax » 13 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Myth - Bullets "Rise" after leaving the barrel.
Fact - They only rise if the barrel is angled up. If the barrel is parallel to the surface, the laws of physics prevent the projectile from rising.

I think this might get interesting..... :crazy:

I'll have to find the postings re curvature of the earth....

Complicating the matter would be that the earth curves, so the bullet, traveling in a straight line perpendicular to the centre of the earth would actually 'rise' if the bullet 'drop' was less than the curvature of the earth... my head is starting to hurt, but here goes;

Distant - curvature of earth
100m - 1mm
200m - 3mm
500m - 20mm
750m - 44mm
1000m - 79mm
1250m - 123mm
1500m - 177mm
2000m - 314mm

So... 'technically' if your projectile is launched with enough voom... that the drop at 1000m is LESS than 79mm then it would RISE relative to the earth....

But yes.... as soon as any projectile is released, the one primary force acting on it would be gravity, accelerating the mass toward the centre of the earth....

'Rise', other than the above curvature/drop defeating, would be casue by AERODYNAMIC effects, say if the nose is up relative to the direction of travel and the uplift counters the drop, partially......like the wing of a plane, NOT gravity defeating 'magic'...

so if your firing north to south or east to west or even west to east it would be different again Coriolis effect. depending what hemisphear your in at the time watch all the heads spin now lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Dec 2016, 1:25 pm

Gun goes "bang"
Animal goes "flop"
'Nuf said.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 13 Dec 2016, 4:13 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Gun goes "bang"
Animal goes "flop"
'Nuf said.

Truer words were never spoken
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2016, 4:44 pm

Animal goes "flop"
'Nuf said.

Are you related to Bigfellascott ? He's the master of practical shooting, same or better results as anyone else with 1/10 the technical BS.

Shooting due east vrs due west will have different drops at 1000m and again different depending on latitude. By the time I've done the math Scott's shot, skinned, cooked and devoured the intended target.

Here's a question for the punters, if I was to drop a feather and a bowling ball in a vacuum which would hit the ground first?
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Dec 2016, 4:48 pm

Remove friction and gravity is the same, all else being equal.

Which weighs more? A tonne of feathers or a tonne of bowling balls.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 13 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am assuming all rifling goes clockwise.Has anyone heard of rifling going anticlockwise

Colt 1911 for one. Just Google "1911 rifling", which is what I did to make absolutely sure I wasn't the only person in the world who had an anti-clockwise barrel.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 13 Dec 2016, 5:01 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Remove friction and gravity is the same, all else being equal.

Which weighs more? A tonne of feathers or a tonne of bowling balls.

Just to be different - which weighs more - an ounce of lead or an ounce of gold?

And, yes, Virgina, they are different.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Dec 2016, 5:06 pm

Different scales, troy...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tripod » 13 Dec 2016, 7:27 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:

Colt 1911 for one. Just Google "1911 rifling", which is what I did to make absolutely sure I wasn't the only person in the world who had an anti-clockwise barrel.

Smle's have left hand twist
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 13 Dec 2016, 8:13 pm

9mm is .45 set to stun. And real men don't stun :D

http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/polit ... earms.html

^take a quick look at that, if you've never seen it, it is very entertaining and funny :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Dec 2016, 8:41 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Different scales, troy...

Don't call me Troy......Surely you cant be serious... don't call me Shirley......many people just dont get a lot of the jokes...

Yes. an ounce of gold is 'heavier' than an ounce of lead..as traded on the world markets...in fact about 10% heavier or thereabouts :geek:

And yes, a feather and a whatever else, in a vacuum will fall at the same rate, given that the the effects of air resistance/ aero drag are removed....and only gravity remain (which acts equally on all objects)...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2016, 9:01 pm

Title_II wrote:9mm is .45 set to stun. And real men don't stun :D

http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/polit ... earms.html

^take a quick look at that, if you've never seen it, it is very entertaining and funny :)

Right, based on that article I'm declaring myself the manliest of men (at least in my household) :D
No. 8 I have a Glock
No. 4 I have 2 1911 45ACP's and while not an original Colt 1911A1 one of them is a Colt, the other a Korth PRS
No.1 Not quite a Barrett M82 but I do have a Barrett M95 50BMG, Barrett M99 .416, McMillan Tac50, DTA HTI 50BMG and a monster 50 due back in late January. :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2016, 9:12 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Animal goes "flop"
'Nuf said.

Are you related to Bigfellascott ? He's the master of practical shooting, same or better results as anyone else with 1/10 the technical BS.

Shooting due east vrs due west will have different drops at 1000m and again different depending on latitude. By the time I've done the math Scott's shot, skinned, cooked and devoured the intended target.

Here's a question for the punters, if I was to drop a feather and a bowling ball in a vacuum which would hit the ground first?

I love bang flops - it's the best way to shoot I reckon :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2016, 3:45 am

My last 4 shots out of the Brno 22 are to shoot out the tacs holding the target at 100 meters. :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tlia7 » 14 Dec 2016, 9:02 am

Weirdest story ever told to me was back in the 70's but an old timer who has since gone to God. He was on a hunting trip with a bunch of guys and camped out in the evening and one guy started to tell them that if you put your thumb over the barrel of a 22 really tight and pull the trigger the vacuum will stop the bullet. They all said bulls**t but he insisted and began to show them..... I asked What happened? the old timer said the d**khead shot his thumb off.
tlia7
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Tomek » 14 Dec 2016, 9:46 am

tlia7 wrote:Weirdest story ever told to me was back in the 70's but an old timer who has since gone to God. He was on a hunting trip with a bunch of guys and camped out in the evening and one guy started to tell them that if you put your thumb over the barrel of a 22 really tight and pull the trigger the vacuum will stop the bullet. They all said bulls**t but he insisted and began to show them..... I asked What happened? the old timer said the d**khead shot his thumb off.

He obviously didn't cover the hole tight enough!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles