Can you guys please help me fix my rifle???

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Can you guys please help me fix my rifle???

Post by junjun » 14 Dec 2016, 1:05 am

To all the good members here. You all have been providing me with lots of information on shooting. This shooting sport has become an important part of my life. I find it very relaxing and satisfying.

I bought a Ruger American Rimfire April this year. I absolutely love this rifle. It's a budget rifle shooting with CCI standard. I had had some very good groups with this rifle. Some are even better than the picture below.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (148.63 KiB) Viewed 2472 times

However, the last few 2-4 thousands round, the rifle has been dropping accuracy big time. So far the rifle has done a little over 10K round. 99% CCI. So about 2 weeks ago I give the rifle a good clean, and had the following result. It was good for the beginning, after 100 rounds, the rifle mainly shot to the right with shocking group.

first range.jpg
first range.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2472 times

So I took it to a gun shop, the guy said to me just dirty. However, I had shot the rifle before with 300 rounds in 1 sitting and still had decent group. How come nowadays after 100 and losing accuracy? What happened to all the people out there who don't clean their rimfire rifle at all?

Anyway, I cleaned it much more throughly again. Taking everything apart. I mean everything I could take off. The bolt, the stock, even stripped the stock itself apart. Stripping down the bolt. After I put everything back together, I made sure everything was tight. Went to the range. Started off with RWS Club, which had provided me with better group before. The result was very nice. So then I switched back to CCI. Had great group again, except one shot to the far right. I think that was me anyway. However this didn't last long. After 50 shots or so, it started shooting to the right with shocking group again. So I though maybe it was me couldn't shoot good anymore. Borrowed a club rifle, CZ 452 with CCI. Great group again. I mean very good groups. Switched back to my Ruger, same lousy result. Shot the last 5 rounds with CZ 452 again, good group. I could still shoot decent groups. There must be something wrong with my rifle.

unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2472 times

I didn't really clean my rifle before. Until a guy at my local shop advised me to clean it regularly. So I bough the Hopper No.9 to clean my rifle. I even left it in the bore over night a couple of times. The guy did say it's perfectly fine.

Did I ruin my rifle because of this? Or is it something else? What can I do to fix it? Please help me. It's not fun shooting anymore. I want to be able to enjoy shooting again.

Thank you for reading this even if you have no clue what's wrong with my rifle.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Can you guys please help me fix my rifle???

Post by deye243 » 14 Dec 2016, 2:25 am

no you didn't hurt anything buy leaving no9 in the barrel but I am concerned you may have been a bit over overzealous with the cleaning rod

and may have done a land or 2 .

on the short list is to have a play with the action screws and see if that changes anything , did you touch anything when you cleaned it the 1st

time like the action screws .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 14 Dec 2016, 6:26 am

Check crown & rifling. Perhaps there is damage that is causing the barrel to foul with lead quickly.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Dec 2016, 11:18 am

1) Maybe your scope has gone haywire, internally. Is it a "cheapie"? Can you borrow another?
2) The bore might be pitted. Push a patch right through and out the muzzle. Remove the jag carefully and inspect for bright specs. That will be lead torn off the bullet by the pits. To examine further, put another clean patch on the jag and push the rod long the bore until you get to 5mm from the muzzle. Hold the rifle vertically with one hand near the muzzle and look into the bore with the sun shining over you shoulder. This way you might see some pits. This is an easier check than swapping scopes so try it first.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 14 Dec 2016, 11:38 am

I would suggest your scope may be knackered or loose. Try a different scope and see if things improve.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by junjun » 19 Dec 2016, 5:57 pm

Took the rifle to Kudo Gunsmith. Bob reckon the stock was sitting too close to the barrel at the end of the stock. So he too a bit of the plastic off the stock. Went straight to Springvale Range. Finally the rifle is fixed. The great fun of shooting is back.

end.jpg
end.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2284 times

I reckon after I took the stock off before, I could never put it back perfectly, so it had been sitting too close to the barrel.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 19 Dec 2016, 6:55 pm

Nice shooting and glad its sorted mate :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 20 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

Bob at Kudo is a grumpy bugger :lol: but he know's his trade.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 20 Jan 2017, 3:59 pm

Great results
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles