Time for new rifle - Advice

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Time for new rifle - Advice

Post by Mitch » 19 Dec 2016, 5:33 am

Ok so its time for a new rifle.

Budget ~$1500 not including optics

This puts me in the tikka/cz/browning/winchester/remington/ruger area.

Lithgow not available in my calibre.

Not a howa.

Any suggestions or major points to avoid?
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Time for new rifle - Advice

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

I've never heard anything really bad about any of the brands you mentioned. Were I you I would go to the Gun Store and fondle, err handle, several of the prospects. Now if you're set on a specific cartridge that may limit your selection and possibly a desired rifling twist or stock design.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 19 Dec 2016, 6:40 am

Pretty much what GLS said. Nothing wrong with any of those choices. From a technical and quality standard all about the same. Going to be an aesthetics and fitment choice I think.

What caliber do you want?
Timber or synthetic
Twist rate
Floor plate or box mag
Bench or sporter stock.

Owners of said brands will probably nominate their chosen rifles as best choice but you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 6:43 am

What's it going to be for?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mitch » 19 Dec 2016, 9:08 am

Calibre will be 6.5x55

Timber or synthetic, im easy. Will come down to feel

Sporter stock hunting rifle
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 9:14 am

Mitch wrote:Calibre will be 6.5x55

Timber or synthetic, im easy. Will come down to feel

Sporter stock hunting rifle

I'd probably just go one of the Tikka's that are on special at Magnums then, cheap enough and good enough to hunt with. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 19 Dec 2016, 9:34 am

I've bought 4 CZs, 3 Remington 700s , and two Browning Abolt rifles over the years and the Browning was the best out of the box shooter, The Remingtons needed some tuning, and the CZs have held or increased in value. If I was buying a new center fire hunting rifle I'd probably get another Browning stainless stalker because it comes bedded from the factory and I really like the short lift bolt and the finish is really nice for a relatively cheap rifle but dunno if they come in 6.5.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wade06 » 19 Dec 2016, 9:49 am

Can't say I've ever looked at the 6.5x55 calibre.

Any reason for going that caliber over a 270 which has a bit more energy and i imagine is a bit cheaper ammo and probably easier to sell later?

Cheers
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 19 Dec 2016, 11:51 am

Take the one that fits you just right and balances well. This will be different from person to person. Go handle as many as you can and see what fits best
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Pythonkeeper » 19 Dec 2016, 8:55 pm

Great calibre, used to own a sporter M96, was a very accurate rifle that packed a mean punch and whatever I hit with dropped on the spot.

Pretty sure Steyr do a 6.5x55 in the pro hunter series, may be worth adding to your list.
I own the .223 version, beautiful rifle with some nice features and I couldn't be happier with it, very near bought one in .308 also but it was narrowly pipped at the post by an Aussie Lithgow.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 20 Dec 2016, 3:05 am

good caliber ive got one in a tikka and more than happy with it still got my orininal m96 as well
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by scotty87 » 20 Dec 2016, 5:10 am

Sauer 100, ~$1300 with 2 mags
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by fenderstrat » 20 Dec 2016, 8:22 am

Get a proper swedish mauser then, in military configuration. Optics are for sissies, and carrying the weight of the full military stock will make you stronger!
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 308cool » 20 Dec 2016, 5:28 pm

scotty87 wrote:Sauer 100, ~$1300 with 2 mags

This,
Also look at in 6.5 creedmoor looks like an interesting round.
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 20 Dec 2016, 10:00 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Get a proper swedish mauser then, in military configuration. Optics are for sissies, and carrying the weight of the full military stock will make you stronger!

Yep get a swede Mauser, they don't make em like that anymore...hell they they don't make them anymore period. You can always buy a sporter rifle in 6.5x55 but there is only a finite number of swedish mausers.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm

I was looking at one of these but my mate who works in a gunshop steered me away from them (can't remember why now) but not as well made as some other offerings I think was the basic consensus, he owns the Elegance version if memory serves me correctly which he reckons is over priced and he preferred his tikkas over it for a 3rd the price.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Deacon » 21 Dec 2016, 9:08 pm

The tikkas are good i've got one. shoot well and have a great trigger. cant top load them which is not a massive deal for me but might annoy you. Only real gripe is that they can be pretty heavy to carry around all weekend once they have glass on them. granted I do have a stainless barrel something rather model that i should have known better than to buy. Last two times ive gotten out i've left it at home and taken the marlin because its lighter. It is however the most accurate gun i own. I've heard good things about the rugers and some not so good things about the winnies.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2016, 9:26 pm

Deacon wrote:The tikkas are good i've got one. shoot well and have a great trigger. cant top load them which is not a massive deal for me but might annoy you. Only real gripe is that they can be pretty heavy to carry around all weekend once they have glass on them. granted I do have a stainless barrel something rather model that i should have known better than to buy. Last two times ive gotten out i've left it at home and taken the marlin because its lighter. It is however the most accurate gun i own. I've heard good things about the rugers and some not so good things about the winnies.

I take it the tikka is a varmint model? I've got a hunter fluted and it weighs 3.5kg with the glass on it so not heavy at all to carry around especially when my howsos weigh in around 4,9kg for the varmint models which is still doable but usually sling em until ready to shoot something.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Dec 2016, 9:37 pm

Not a howa.

Never been a fan of Howa myself, but.. a few days back I was handed a new 1500 mini action stainless in 223 Remington with the synthetic stock and I'm now wanting one in 204 Ruger with the varmint barrel once they arrive.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2016, 11:32 pm

happyhunter wrote:
Not a howa.

Never been a fan of Howa myself, but.. a few days back I was handed a new 1500 mini action stainless in 223 Remington with the synthetic stock and I'm now wanting one in 204 Ruger with the varmint barrel once they arrive.

A mate who loves his Tikka's has seen the light after shooting a HMA 223 a while back, put 20rds into a 20c piece size group at 100m with factory ammo :D

As you know I love mine and will be getting one of the HMA's myself when I sell the Ruger. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scotty87 » 22 Dec 2016, 5:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

I was looking at one of these but my mate who works in a gunshop steered me away from them (can't remember why now) but not as well made as some other offerings I think was the basic consensus, he owns the Elegance version if memory serves me correctly which he reckons is over priced and he preferred his tikkas over it for a 3rd the price.

Haven't seen one in the flesh yet but am pretty sold on one down the track, possibly in 270win, the 202 was a pretty respected rifle in Europe.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 23 Dec 2016, 4:26 am

happyhunter wrote:
Not a howa.

Im not a howa fanboy, nor a tikka fanboy. In fact i own 2 of each. Just personal preference that this time i want something nicer
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Dec 2016, 11:53 am

Looking for a safe queen? Have you considered something in full stock?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Mitch » 23 Dec 2016, 4:32 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Looking for a safe queen? Have you considered something in full stock?

Dont want full wood. Will be used for hunting and bit of range so lightweight is preffered.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Dec 2016, 5:21 pm

Perhaps a tikka forest if you prefer timber. They're light and accurate enough and availiable in 6.5x55
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles