howa ws savage

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

howa ws savage

Post by colsta » 20 Dec 2016, 6:21 pm

Screenshot_373.png
Screenshot_373.png (996.36 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Screenshot_374.png
Screenshot_374.png (491.79 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
hi guys i have a savage axis 308 on layby and just seen a howa tactical 308 on sale what do you guys think is a better rifle
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: howa ws savage

Post by pete1 » 20 Dec 2016, 7:04 pm

I would say howa in my opinion, got a howa 1500 in 223 not a bad gun for the money, plus i feel the axis stock feels a little bit cheap.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 20 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

I would prefer the howa thats my opinion, what one feels the best?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by colsta » 20 Dec 2016, 8:25 pm

the savage feels nice in the shoulder
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 20 Dec 2016, 8:41 pm

I have owned a few Howa rifles and I owned a savage in .22 Hornet and in .243. To be honest the savage is a bit more refined out the box and has a nicer safety, but they have never been a match for my Howa rifles with regards to accuracy.
Once they have been worked they are very much on par, but the Howa does feel nicer in the hands.
While its hard to choose because they are both good rifles, I would have to lean towards the Howa.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Dec 2016, 10:52 pm

The Axis II has replaced the Axis and has a few additional features such as the Accu-trigger and Weaver KASPA Scope so the original model is probably being sold off cheap to make way for the new improved Axis II. The only savage I have is a rimfire 17HMR which I really like and a Howa 1500 Mini-Action 223, personally I like the feel of the Howa as it appears to have a better quality of finish. With a .308 I'd go the Howa over the Savage purely based on personal preference though both represent good value for money.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 21 Dec 2016, 10:27 am

Not a fan of Savage rifles for some reason. Howa's have a couple of less than ideal features but most people who own them do rave about their inherent accuracy.

If both rifles were offered to me, I'd take the Howa.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2016, 11:02 am

In a choice between just those two I'd lean toward the Howa, but it comes down to personal preferences.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 21 Dec 2016, 9:41 pm

If you go that howa package deal ask them to keep the scope and knock a few bucks off. Those chinese Tasco WC scopes will break on a 308 right when you really need it not to and cost you game. Lesson learned the hard way from experience.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 21 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm

happyhunter wrote:If you go that howa package deal ask them to keep the scope and knock a few bucks off. Those chinese Tasco WC scopes will break on a 308 right when you really need it not to and cost you game. Lesson learned the hard way from experience.

Excellent point or possibly offer a few extra bucks for a better scope like I did in the Howa 1500 Mini Action.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by colsta » 21 Dec 2016, 10:42 pm

im changing the scope im putting a burris fullfield on it
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by colsta » 26 Dec 2016, 6:29 pm

well after all that i got neither thanks for all your help i went in a different direction and bought a tikka t3 stainless fluted barrel and timber stock and used a burris scope and also bought a rossi lever action in stainless 45 cal
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 26 Dec 2016, 7:25 pm

Found a bucket of cash under the Xmas tree hey......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by colsta » 26 Dec 2016, 7:38 pm

i found out it was a money tree not a xmas tree lol
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Dec 2016, 10:56 am

As a semi-savage nut, who owns more Savage than Howies (only got 1, yeah I know...)

......dont buy the Axis. Its not a 'true' 110 model, it's been corrupted.

and the accutrigger isnt a +ve, just about marketing and an unnecessary double redundancy in the safety...theres only ONE type of safe rifle.

comparing the 110 series Savages, starting at around a grand, up to generally 1500 to 2000.... the Howies are very tempting from under $500 and up
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2016, 3:32 pm

colsta wrote:well after all that i got neither thanks for all your help i went in a different direction and bought a tikka t3 stainless fluted barrel and timber stock and used a burris scope and also bought a rossi lever action in stainless 45 cal

Recently bought a Hunter in Blued Fluted, it's not a bad rifle, the triggers a bit limited at around 2lb but that can be sorted fairly easily if you feel it needs to be lighter, whilst it's not as accurate as my Howa's out of the box it's lighter so that's something (the reason I bought it) as it to be used as a walk about outfit for chasing pigs etc and the HB Howso's whilst doable aren't really designed for that type of use hence the Tikka purchase. I'm sure with a bit more ammo testing and fine tuning I can get it shooting a lot better than it does at present. but for now it's good enough to poke holes in pigs. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Centerfire rifles