Jammed cartridge

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Jammed cartridge

Post by Gettingstarted » 27 Dec 2016, 7:22 pm

I've made a D$$&head :oops: school boy error :crazy: and jammed a round into the barrel with a cleaning patch.

I had just run a few patches through the barrel before heading out for a hunt. I have somehow left a patch in the chamber, cycled a round out in the paddock and couldn't close the bolt. Have pushed hard enough that I think I've jammed it pretty well. Pulling to bolt back I can see the patch wedged in with the round.

Is this a gun smith job to remove or is it safe for both me (and the rifle) to tap out from the muzzel?

Of course I've done this in the first hour of a trip away hunting and the nearest gunship is some drive away.

Help appreciated.
Gettingstarted
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Jammed cartridge

Post by AusTac » 27 Dec 2016, 7:33 pm

If it were me id be taking the bolt out if its not already picking up by the extractor and just wack it out with a sacrificial brass cleaning rod attatchment
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tripod » 27 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

Remove the bolt and drop a cleaning rod down from the muzzle.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 27 Dec 2016, 7:49 pm

Done something similar myself but wasn't due to a patch. Remove the bolt as suggested and tap lightly with a rod from the muzzle. Depending on the rod you may want to remove the handle cause tapping on it can break the little pin or rollers inside it. Depending on projectile you may want to use a jag for hollow points and nothing for round nose or flats. I stood 45 deg to the muzzle thinking that if it fired I'd be out of the line of fire and if it exploded I was not near the barrel.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2016, 8:07 pm

As everyone said, remove the bolt and tap it out with a cleaning rod down the muzzle end, bit of luck it will come out (I usually remove the jag and just use the rod)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 27 Dec 2016, 11:50 pm

Plus one push it out.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Dec 2016, 1:02 am

Yup, cleaning rod down the muzzle, just pay attention and excercise caution and she'll be right
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 28 Dec 2016, 1:26 am

Not sure if this is a good idea but here is what I would do. I would hook it with the bolt extractor then simultaneously pull/push down on the bolt handle while slamming the butt against a firm surface.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by superdave » 28 Dec 2016, 4:31 am

Maybe also run some CRC 556 or WD40 down the barrel, leave it to sit awhile to give yourself an extra advantage before you try tapping it out.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by AusTac » 28 Dec 2016, 5:26 am

Title_II wrote:Not sure if this is a good idea but here is what I would do. I would hook it with the bolt extractor then simultaneously pull/push down on the bolt handle while slamming the butt against a firm surface.

It's not an ar mate :p may work though
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gettingstarted » 28 Dec 2016, 5:56 am

Title_II wrote:Not sure if this is a good idea but here is what I would do. I would hook it with the bolt extractor then simultaneously pull/push down on the bolt handle while slamming the butt against a firm surface.

My first thought when I did it was grab it with the bolt extractor. So I gave it a firm push with the bolt to grab it - couldn't and only jammed it further in. Concerned how much pressure I'll have to put on the bolt to grab it with this method that I'll end up with a bigger problem?
Gettingstarted
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 28 Dec 2016, 6:32 am

Naah you'll end up just snapping the extractor off, ask me how i know lol
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gettingstarted » 28 Dec 2016, 7:15 am

brett1868 wrote:Done something similar myself but wasn't due to a patch. Remove the bolt as suggested and tap lightly with a rod from the muzzle. Depending on the rod you may want to remove the handle cause tapping on it can break the little pin or rollers inside it. Depending on projectile you may want to use a jag for hollow points and nothing for round nose or flats. I stood 45 deg to the muzzle thinking that if it fired I'd be out of the line of fire and if it exploded I was not near the barrel.

Will give this a go shortly - thanks for advice all.

One query the round is a plastics tipped number - do I risk it expanding it out in the barrel hitting it out from the muzzel?
Gettingstarted
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 28 Dec 2016, 7:45 am

I would give it a stern talking to.

Another alternative that is a bit more gentle. Get some wooden dowel thin enough to fit in the barrel. Cut it into 6 inch pieces (less flex and easier to handle) tap it out with that. The wood will be much more gentle on everything and you won't root your cleaning rod.

Or shake your fist at the rifle and tell it it's making you really angry.

Bunnings has tas oak dowel in 4mm and 6mm for about $4 for 1.2m
Last edited by Supaduke on 28 Dec 2016, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by superdave » 28 Dec 2016, 7:51 am

Supaduke wrote:Or shake your fist at the rifle and tell it it's making you really angry.

best solution.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by brett1868 » 28 Dec 2016, 9:42 am

Gettingstarted wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Done something similar myself but wasn't due to a patch. Remove the bolt as suggested and tap lightly with a rod from the muzzle. Depending on the rod you may want to remove the handle cause tapping on it can break the little pin or rollers inside it. Depending on projectile you may want to use a jag for hollow points and nothing for round nose or flats. I stood 45 deg to the muzzle thinking that if it fired I'd be out of the line of fire and if it exploded I was not near the barrel.

Will give this a go shortly - thanks for advice all.

One query the round is a plastics tipped number - do I risk it expanding it out in the barrel hitting it out from the muzzel?

Forget the jag and use just the rod so the tip of the projectile will center in the threaded hole of the rod. You may plug the thread with some plastic but that can be fixed and depending on how tight the round is the projectile might get mushroomed a bit. Dowel is not a good choice as it'll split and splinter and since you're in the field you need to work with what's at hand. I'm not sure about using an oil or a spray, I'd be thinking they would expand the fibres in the patch making it tighter or maybe some lubrication would help, I'm not sure on this one. Either way, less typing and more tapping :D

If however it's does go pear shaped, say hi to Elvis for me :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 28 Dec 2016, 11:15 am

The dowel may expand a little as the tip of the bullet enters. But assuming you use the correct size, such as 6mm in a .30cal, it would be confined by the barrel and wouldn't split. You could even put a wrap of electrical tape around it to make it snug. Cleaning rod is $20+, dowel is $4. If doing it out in the field though, I guess you use what you have.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 28 Dec 2016, 11:33 am

Supaduke wrote:Or shake your fist at the rifle and tell it it's making you really angry.

To heck with the fist, grab the rifle and shake it like a British nanny.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gettingstarted » 28 Dec 2016, 5:45 pm

All sorted - found a short piece of bamboo that matched the 204. Put it in between the bullet and the cleaning rod and gave it a few good whacks with a lump of timber, bullet dropped out. Cleaning rod survived.

Thanks for advice.

Title_II wrote:

Tried - didn't work as hoped, maybe I need to get angrier?
Gettingstarted
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2016, 6:35 pm

"Put (bamboo) it in between the bullet and the cleaning rod "

That's smart. I'll remember that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 28 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Best thing to remember would be to not get a live round stuck in the first place, check bore for obstructions before engaging ammo.... :sarcasm:

In the "range kit" is an old brass jag with the point removed for removing obstructions, stuck cases, bullets etc. Saves on damaging the internal thread of an expensive cleaning rod. Removing a live stuck round on a range is forbidden (go somewhere the RO can't see you and you can't kill someone else). Not too often someone is not able to fire their chambered round even if a ceasefire has been called but it does result in the odd case extracted spilling the powder everywhere and a slightly stuck bullet.

Glad the OP got it solved without incident, not the way I would have gone about it but I'm lucky that I can easily unscrew a barrel and attack things from behind. Handy things barrel vices and action wrenches / shifters. Also handy that shooting competition there is always a Gunsmith or two present for those nasty problems that need a solution.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 03 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

Gettingstarted wrote:

Tried - didn't work as hoped, maybe I need to get angrier?

Next time have Bobcat Goldthwait from Police Academy yell at it.

Guaranteed to come out.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Garth » 09 Jan 2017, 10:11 pm

I've done it had a 30.06 round stuck ha ha not good feeling just takevbolt out and as I did got my victim I mean brother to bang it out with the rod with out the cleaning tip worked worked fine
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles