Jammed cartridge

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Jammed cartridge

Post by Gettingstarted » 28 Dec 2016, 5:45 pm

All sorted - found a short piece of bamboo that matched the 204. Put it in between the bullet and the cleaning rod and gave it a few good whacks with a lump of timber, bullet dropped out. Cleaning rod survived.

Thanks for advice.

Title_II wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Or shake your fist at the rifle and tell it it's making you really angry.

Tried - didn't work as hoped, maybe I need to get angrier?
Gettingstarted
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2016, 6:35 pm

"Put (bamboo) it in between the bullet and the cleaning rod "

That's smart. I'll remember that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 28 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Best thing to remember would be to not get a live round stuck in the first place, check bore for obstructions before engaging ammo.... :sarcasm:

In the "range kit" is an old brass jag with the point removed for removing obstructions, stuck cases, bullets etc. Saves on damaging the internal thread of an expensive cleaning rod. Removing a live stuck round on a range is forbidden (go somewhere the RO can't see you and you can't kill someone else). Not too often someone is not able to fire their chambered round even if a ceasefire has been called but it does result in the odd case extracted spilling the powder everywhere and a slightly stuck bullet.

Glad the OP got it solved without incident, not the way I would have gone about it but I'm lucky that I can easily unscrew a barrel and attack things from behind. Handy things barrel vices and action wrenches / shifters. Also handy that shooting competition there is always a Gunsmith or two present for those nasty problems that need a solution.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 03 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

Gettingstarted wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Or shake your fist at the rifle and tell it it's making you really angry.

Tried - didn't work as hoped, maybe I need to get angrier?

Next time have Bobcat Goldthwait from Police Academy yell at it.

Guaranteed to come out.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Garth » 09 Jan 2017, 10:11 pm

I've done it had a 30.06 round stuck ha ha not good feeling just takevbolt out and as I did got my victim I mean brother to bang it out with the rod with out the cleaning tip worked worked fine
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles