.222 v .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: .222 v .223

Post by albat » 07 Jan 2017, 9:32 am

We all have more guns than we need and thats the marketing people peddling their BS!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 10:17 am

albat wrote:We all have more guns than we need and thats the marketing people peddling their BS!

Yep so true!

I reckon I could get away with a shotgun, 22, the 204 and 308 the rest aren't needed really anymore and I might sell em on this year as they don't really see much action unless I feel like taking something diff out for a change but those days seems to be getting less and less now as I just go with the ones I know well and get the job done. (too bloody hard trying to remember what shoots where these days :lol: K.I.S.S. is where it's at for me now, I only run the one load for each individual cal, none of this I need a individual load for pig, a deer or dogs etc - they all get the same medicine, same goes for rabbits, foxes etc - they all get the same medicine out of the 204 - I know where it shoots and use that to good effect no matter what pops out in front of me whether it be deer or rabbit, it's a bang flop if I do my part right :drinks:

At the rate we are going we will have to carry Ipads and wind meters etc out with us to work out how to adjust for a shot at 50m :lol: - it's getting ridiculous how complicated some people like to make things these days.

I was using a bit of NV gear the other night - it didn't do much for me I can tell ya, tiny little screen that f***ed your vision for a good minute or two afterwards - I'd much rather just stick with the good ol spotlight that cost 3/8 of SFA in comparison to these things - maybe one day when the technology is a lot better but for now no thanks not interested in dropping $2+ for an IR set up and upwards of $4k+ for thermal. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2017, 10:42 am

12g SG, 22lr, 223, & 30.06 are all I have. It would be nice to fill the gap with say a 243. But I can't justify it for the few hunting trips I do each year. If in doubt I go over gunned or take two.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 11:25 am

bentaz wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Why not just run the heavy projectile for everything then if it's the better way to go, why bother with the lighter projectiles, can't see a need for the lighter ones if the heavier ones kill better, save ya self a lot of rooting around I'd reckon.

Yep..... I agree.
If you think you may need the heavier bullet on a trip, just zero for that and K.I.S.S.. If you are vehicle based, take two rifles. Walking; just take one and one load that will adequately cover all eventualities.

I have played with using two different loads that shoot on the same windage and it is far more hassle than it is worth. Judging range in the field leaves you second guessing enough without adding the variable of different loads into the equation.

Yep, just ain't worth all the stuffing around only to miss cos you forgot to allow for a slight variation of some sort, simpler to just stick with the one load and learn it's trajectories well, then you should have a higher success rate due to your confidence in knowing where it will hit, that way if it is something big and not something the cal would normally be used for you can be confident in it getting the job done with a will placed shot - ie the melon!

I swear one day someone will come up with some bulls**t theory that we need to use diff cals or loads or projectile weights for the diff days of the week, it's the only thing they haven't recommended yet but you can bet some numbnuts will suggest it and it will become internet law soon after. :lol:

12ga tuesday is real i tell ya!

Ah no I used it on a Sunday - sorry will try better next time :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 11:28 am

Oldbloke wrote:12g SG, 22lr, 223, & 30.06 are all I have. It would be nice to fill the gap with say a 243. But I can't justify it for the few hunting trips I do each year. If in doubt I go over gunned or take two.

Personally I wouldn't worry about a 243, you've got everything covered worth shooting with what ya got anyway mate, the 30-06 will knock all the big stuff down there without fuss and the 12g and 22 will take care of the bunnies and foxes as will the 223 - not much point cluttering up the safe with stuff you won't need (been there and doing that now) :D but will be sorting that out when I can be bothered.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 07 Jan 2017, 12:39 pm

Im the opposite i roll everything with a 243 keeping it to about 200m energy to spare, got rimfire for tiny stuff love the hmr kills way above its weight dont need a 22 centrefire
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 Jan 2017, 1:27 pm

All I have is a 22 and a highly tuned 30/30. I shoot lead through them both, and both are extremely accurate. With good shot placement I can tick every (Aussie) box with these two, and they are both very cheap to run (and practice with). Totally agree with sticking to a couple of rifles and learn their trajectories like the back of your hand.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 07 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

just remember that pill weight don't mean squat it's pill construction that counts especially if you are going for the boiler room .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 6:59 am

deye243 wrote:just remember that pill weight don't mean squat it's pill construction that counts especially if you are going for the boiler room .

Bloody oath D, it can certainly make the difference between success and failure at times. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2017, 7:22 am

bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:just remember that pill weight don't mean squat it's pill construction that counts especially if you are going for the boiler room .

Bloody oath D, it can certainly make the difference between success and failure at times. :thumbsup:

And how it reacts is effected by the speed of the projectile on impact and what it hits, bone or soft flesh. The reality is that there are a lot of variabilities.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 08 Jan 2017, 8:49 am

Yep. I made up a trail boss load for a friend who wanted something with more whack than a 22lr but quieter than a full load 223rem so it didn't spook game or his stock as much. We did full load development and got his rifle zeroed at 100m for the round. I told him it is 120m max because it will really drop like a stone after that. It's a funny round when leaving the muzzle at around 1800fps if gives you a point and shoot MPBR into 2" from about 40m to 100 and loses about an inch out to 110m. After that it is losing velocity very quickly, making hold over for range a stupid guessing game. He shot something at 150-180m (his guesstimating). He showed me the Nosler Ballitic Tip 55gn bullet that he recovered. It was a bit bent but had entirely failed to expand or fragment. He said that closer shots had performed exactly as intended.

I reminded him that the load is only designed to shoot out to 120m MAX and that after 110ish it is starting to shed speed at an alarming rate.

If you don't understand the design parameters of your ammo and use it outside these boundries, you are asking for some nasty surprises! Just because you can hit something at a given range, doesn't mean you should!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 09 Jan 2017, 10:49 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Garth » 09 Jan 2017, 9:59 pm

I've always loved 222 but was burned out cost more to fix it was a Schultz 1530.so brought steyr 223 now I love 223. I used to bag this cal but am converted dam good cal is the 223 I shoot 70gn projectiles out of it now Iam a 223 man all the way
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2017, 8:44 am

I've got both cals and don't really use either of them since I got the 204 - I find it better than both for what I use it for (shooting foxes and rabbits) just flatter shooting and tends to find the target more often than not without any real stuffing around (point and shoot) which is perfect for my needs.

The 222 was my first CF and it was a reliable cal for it's day and age and still is, the 223's just the magnum version if you will with a little more range and better choice of heaver projectiles (which most seem more target orientated than for hunting purposes as far as I can tell) not that that matter so much if you put the projectile in the right spot.

They are all good cals, pick one and use it well and it will do the job fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 14 Jan 2017, 9:01 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2017, 9:09 am

happyhunter wrote:I use the 222 when I know shots are going to be under 200 yards. Further than that I'll take the 204. The 222 has a very short barrel and it's a light rifle compared to my 204 which is heavy and has a 24" barrel. When the scrub is thick or I'm climbing the rocks the 222 makes life easier, but a Howa mini in 204 with a 20" barrel might change that :)

Irony is a lot of people think the 223 is better than 222 cos fast twist versions can shoot heavy bullets, but the 204 shoots lighter bullets and for up to fox size game is a better choice than either and it makes a great roo gun too.

Yeah can't say I really ever bother with the 223, much prefer the 222 or 204 or my 250 if I'm expecting to shoot something half decent sized - now I have the 308 it probably won't see much action for that sort of thing either :lol:

I reckon I could get away with a 22, 12g, 204 and the 308 for all my shooting needs - the rest is just cos I want em really (not that that's a bad thing) I just find I stick to what works for me and those are doing the job fine for now but I must say I do like the boooom of the 250 and the noise it makes when that projectile hits home (she hits things hard and never any doubt as to whether you hit something or not) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blackened » 18 Jan 2017, 9:52 am

Moderator time.

I've deleted all the argumentative posts.

Clearly there are some opinions here which aren't going to be changed.

People have said their piece, consider it finished.

Any who wish to continue the discussion calmly are welcome to do so.

Others would do well to move on to other topics.
Blackened

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles