rangefinder

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: rangefinder

Post by duncan61 » 08 Jan 2017, 2:29 pm

I took a ranging at 1100 meters plus but it was a big water tower across a Valley and I had a table to rest on
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Apparently, the hdII has sorted the firmware issues the original had. However, this is from retailers, so grain of salt and all that. I find it quite tempting. I reckon it would be great for fox whistling at night.

I'd suggest you try before you buy that way you can see the shortfalls and good points and work out if it's truly for you. It will cost up around $2k+ with the good batteries and upgraded IR Torch according to my mate, not cheap and didn't do much for me with the issues I had using it and it's fooking heavy too with all the gear hanging off it so not really usable off hand as such not that that's a major drama if you are happy to use a mono pod or bipod sticks or or tripod or possibly a bipod if the terrain allows.

I think my mates locked up once or twice too but a quick shut down and wait the 10sec or so for it to fire back up again and it was good to go again.

I think there is a group on FB dedicated to the ATN gear so might be worth checking out there and see what the good and bad is too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Jan 2017, 3:49 pm

The weight is the main thing putting me off it, by the time I attach it tl the hmr, my light foxing rifle ain't so light anymore. Add that to the occasional crash, the battery life and the weak USB port, and you have the reasons I'm leaning against it. If they improve things in the third version I may well jump on it.

I'm still tempted by it, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:The weight is the main thing putting me off it, by the time I attach it tl the hmr, my light foxing rifle ain't so light anymore. Add that to the occasional crash, the battery life and the weak USB port, and you have the reasons I'm leaning against it. If they improve things in the third version I may well jump on it.

I'm still tempted by it, though

Have u used one?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Jan 2017, 9:09 pm

Nope. Try before you buy is virtually impossible over here. One of the lgs' has one fitted to their personal rifle, so got to handle ot a bit during the day, but its heavy and really throws the balance of the rifle out.

Add to that brett's experiences with the first generation and the general reviews and feedback, and I'm not sure its for me in the current form.

I love what it aspires to be, but not sure it'a there yet. And for that sort of coin, you want to be sure
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Nope. Try before you buy is virtually impossible over here. One of the lgs' has one fitted to their personal rifle, so got to handle ot a bit during the day, but its heavy and really throws the balance of the rifle out.

Add to that brett's experiences with the first generation and the general reviews and feedback, and I'm not sure its for me in the current form.

I love what it aspires to be, but not sure it'a there yet. And for that sort of coin, you want to be sure

Yeah that's the conclusion I came to as well - one day I'm sure it will suit my needs but definitely doesn't do anything for me in its current guise.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jan 2017, 6:45 am

I had a ATN X-Sight and after a few months of various problems I got onto the Australian importer and got a refund. The US support guys are next to useless but the local importer is a good guy and getting a refund wasn't a problem so for that reason alone I'd consider them again in the future.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Slant225 » 10 Jan 2017, 8:09 pm

Hey,
I picked up a Kogan 800m Rangefinder for $120 on special (from perhaps $185) with free shipping. I finally got the opportunity to use it down at the range. The optics are 6x25 with 7deg field of view. It seemed to measure the different target distances to within a couple of metres of what I expected. I think the spec sheet says tolerance error is the greater of +- 1m or +-0.1%. Some have rightly mentioned that the non illuminated eyepiece displays are difficult to read in lower light situations and I found this to be the case with the Kogan unit. The reading stays on the display for a second or so I found by looking at the sky or something brighter I could make a reading.
At this moment I'm extremely happy with the purchase. If it continues to work it should fulfill the need I had for it which was to help me learn to better estimate or judge distances.
I understand that it isn't a $5000 industrial measuing laser nor is it a $500 brand name shooting rangefinder so it met my $120 expectations 8-)
Sadly, last I looked they were sold out but if you don't need one immediately they may restock? I'd been watching them for a bit the were on and off sale a couple of times before I bought mine.
Goodluck!
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles