New Tikka T3x Tac A1

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New Tikka T3x Tac A1

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 9:12 pm

Yipikaye wrote:What would happen if I got the stock powder coated a bright orange colour? Then it wouldn't look military...

The law says something like "If it looks to a reasonable person as if it's a toy _and_ it has none of the functions of a firearm to propel any projectile then it is a toy." If it propels anything then it's a firearm regardless of how colourful it is.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 9:19 pm

ouch. I wonder anyone with a camo pattern would also have a problem.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Apr 2017, 9:23 pm

This appearance bs needs to go asap. Wasn't there a recommendation in WA to remove them and comply with other states such as Vic and QLD?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 16 Apr 2017, 1:05 am

bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yep they are applying that "Military Look" clause in the act from what I've been reading - I certainly wouldn't bother buying one, may well loose quite a few $$ if you aren't careful.

There's also been a heap of blokes get caught out with some device which you put on the end of your barrel to catch the dirty patches, turns out that is somehow illegal to do and they have been raided and lost firearms and licenses because of it (stupid I know) but you have to be careful what you do when it comes to firearms etc, they are just waiting to ping us for anything and everything, just like the blitzs they were conduction out in the central west over easter (pulling over vehicles that looked like hunting vehicles and searching them in the hope they find something amiss (they seem to run them regularly out here and always get quite a few who are doing the wrong thing. :unknown:

If a firearm is licenced as is I can't see how they can claim it is now illegal if the rules haven't changed. If they aren't happy about the Firearms Registry allowing us to own something then they need to take it up with the Registry, it's nothing to do with the owner.
On the other hand, if they actually re-write the rules then there might be a problem. But my understanding of Australian law is anything that makes something illegal that is currently legal requires fair and just compensation be paid to lawful owners.

It's already in law, they just haven't been enforcing it and no they don't have to pay compensation, just like the Adler you can hand them in or get the mod done to make them legal, apparently people have been getting letters telling them to hand them in or sell them to Firearms Dealers or face legal action.

Important part there is "face legal action"

If you have the firearm, it's legal. They deemed it that is during your PTA application.

They would have to take legal action against every individual that decided to not hand in his legal registered firearms.

Just have a look at the reports from your police ombudsman and you'll see that when uninformed overzealous police officers enforcing their interpretation of the law doesn't go so well when reviewed.

its just like whenever the drift kids go out bush for one of the big events, cops set up on the main access road and check every car and person going in and out, as they couldn't come into the private property.

Go check out http://www.firearmslawyer.net.au/ and some of the cases that turn up over there, shows you the real problem with police, they can barely follow their own enforcement and laws in regards to legal firearms no wonder we are in an epidemic of kids killing kids with illegal firearms the police never even had a chance of stopping while there too focused on "oh does this look big and scary"
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 16 Apr 2017, 11:27 am

I'm not a fan of chassis style rifles, for me a rifle should be either as heavy as the rules allow (for target shooting) or as light as possible (for hunting) and this style of rifles are neither but I understand people like them and that's fine. TBH this style of rifle is purely designed to be issued to troops of different sizes and set up to suit them where as civilians we just buy one that fits us.

Having said that I handled this gun for the first time last week and was surprised to find that A) it's not as heavy as I expected and 2) it's actually well balanced with the balance point behind the front hand/magwell. I expect that's because it's based on the CTR and not a Varmint like many chassis conversions.

I suspect with a scope that wasn't as heavy as some of the Tac style scopes (think S&B or NF) it might actually be ok to carry for some field shooting as long as you shoot prone.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 09 May 2017, 10:32 pm

Well after much deliberation I put down a deposit on one :) got to wait until stock comes available. Could be as late as November for a .308 with fixed stock :(
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 06 Aug 2017, 7:32 pm

sorry to revive an old thread, just thought id share something i find amusing.

enquired about a getting a ruger precision converted to fixed stock as i am in nsw. the ruger precision is just a no go in nsw, even with fixed stock, because of its appearance.

whats amusing is that looks basically the same as the tac a1, which i can go and buy here........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 02 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on how to clean TAC A1 with fixed stock.

If anyone has this rifle can you share how you clean it?

This is the most frustrating rifle I've had to clean as I can raise the cheek piece it's highest setting but still the rod handle hits the recoil pad. This is not good as I'm worried I'm damaging the bore or rod by (slightly) bending to get over the pad.

Options I've considered;
1. Bore snake (but I don't like these as over time you pull carbon back through the rifle)
2. Clean through muzzle (but l don't want stuff to go into action)
3. Longer rod maybe?

Any tips / advice would be great.

Thanks!
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on how to clean TAC A1 with fixed stock.

If anyone has this rifle can you share how you clean it?

This is the most frustrating rifle I've had to clean as I can raise the cheek piece it's highest setting but still the rod handle hits the recoil pad. This is not good as I'm worried I'm damaging the bore or rod by (slightly) bending to get over the pad.

Options I've considered;
1. Bore snake (but I don't like these as over time you pull carbon back through the rifle)
2. Clean through muzzle (but l don't want stuff to go into action)
3. Longer rod maybe?

Any tips / advice would be great.

Thanks!

What's involved in removing the butt stock?
From what I can see it looks like an M4 buffer tube attachment to the receiver?
Can you just unscrew the buffer tube?
I only clean the bore when accuracy drops off so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. But for somebody that spends more time cleaning than shooting it'd be a pain.
What attaches the adjustable butt to the buffer tube? Can that be removed with ease?

Maybe you could make up an extension that threads into the rod to make it a little longer?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 02 Sep 2017, 3:50 pm

I had a look but couldn't see how to easily remove the butt stock. maybe I need to try harder to unscrew it? I didn't want to break anything.

Its an AR stock so it should be easy, I just can't figure it out :(

I like the idea of making extension to the rod
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2017, 4:04 pm

Yipikaye wrote:I had a look but couldn't see how to easily remove the butt stock. maybe I need to try harder to unscrew it? I didn't want to break anything.

Its an AR stock so it should be easy, I just can't figure it out :(

I like the idea of making extension to the rod

If it is an AR buffer tube then it should have a big castle nut around it locking it against the receiver.
Being NSW it might be pinned in place to be "permanent" though.

Pro Tactical make extensions - http://www.protactical.com.au/storage/product/1327-max-clean-cleaning-rod-extension-1pc-suits-gc-002-and-gc-003-cleaning-rods
Just need to check what thread size your rod and fittings are.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 02 Sep 2017, 4:12 pm

I think its fixed because its sold in NSW. Doesn't seem to have any way to remove it.

I will get one of the rod extensions for sure. Thank you! \

I've also noticed there is a 44" rod. I think mine is 36" I might spend some time browsing at my LGS :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 11 Sep 2017, 11:22 pm

A quick update. I got a 44" carbon fibre rod and it works a treat!

For anyone who reads this if you have a fixed stock get a long rod, 36" isn't good enough!
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Sep 2017, 1:36 pm

Did you get the glass yet, and if so, what did you end up with?

Had i been aware of this thread earlier, i might have suggested to look at Sightron as an option, or look for well cared for 'used' higher quality options. Have them inspected by a friend in 'the know' about scopes and what to look for when buying used, but bargains are to be had if your timings right.

I look forward to your continued posts and your appraisal of the new bang-stick.

Gypsy
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 30 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

I got the Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 6-24x50 with BTR-MIL reticle.
I had to choose a tactical scope for the rifle. :)

Love the rifle. It's my first rifle with a break I was surprised how little the recoil is. Accuracy is great. I wish it came in 270, 7mm-08 or 30-06.

I was surprised how heavy it is, I thought it would feel a lot lighter than it does but maybe it's all the accessories that add the weight ;)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Sep 2017, 3:00 pm

I hear ya,..7lbs don't sound much either, till ya lug it all day for a few days....(that's bare weight as well lol). If your not used to it, or like me rarely get out in the field, you notice it....

Glad to read your having a ball....some end up with buyers remorse and glad it's not you.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles