New Tikka T3x Tac A1

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Tikka T3x Tac A1

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 6:20 am

One for the Mall Ninja's and Tac Tards

www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-tac-a1

I kinda like it to be honest, not much use to me though sadly, wouldn't be much chop for hunting and I don't really do any of that long range stuff either but I'm sure it will be a success when and if we can actually own them - there seems to be a lot of these types of platforms coming out lately, Ruger have one and so do Howa so clearly this type of thing is growing in popularity or they wouldn't be producing them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: New Tikka T3x Tac A1

Post by albat » 19 Jan 2017, 7:33 am

What are these rifles for exactly seen plenty of them lately target rifle i would presume?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jan 2017, 8:16 am

One for the wanna-be snipers out there.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

albat wrote:What are these rifles for exactly seen plenty of them lately target rifle i would presume?

Long range gong bashers I'd imagine or paper punching long range but I think these are more for law enforcement type work (whatever the hell that is) - we might have to get onto that fella from shooter and see if he can put it through it's paces on the bad guys :D

Gamerancher wrote:One for the wanna-be snipers out there.

Yeah that's how I see it too - nice looking outfit but completely useless to me in reality. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 19 Jan 2017, 10:36 am

I saw an ozziereviews lucky 13 tikka chassis review a couple of weeks ago on his u tube channel cant reaĺly see too many advantages over a good wooden stock for target work but i no nuffin about target shooting anyway
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 11:01 am

albat wrote:I saw an ozziereviews lucky 13 tikka chassis review a couple of weeks ago on his u tube channel cant reaĺly see too many advantages over a good wooden stock for target work but i no nuffin about target shooting anyway

I'm sure there's a purpose for them or they wouldn't be wasting their time making the things, like you I don't know squat about the competition target shooting game or the long range shooting game for that matter (I'm purely just a hunter). :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 11:28 am

Last edited by bigfellascott on 19 Jan 2017, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lokvo » 19 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

I can't help myself...I'm sort of digging it haha. Shallow I know.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 11:42 am

Lokvo wrote:I can't help myself...I'm sort of digging it haha. Shallow I know.

I'm sure it would be a good outfit if you are into that sort of thing. I see a lot of manufacturers are making this style of rifle now so there is obviously a demand and no doubt cheaper than some of the more expensive custom jobs that others seem to be running for this sort of shooting comp.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lokvo » 19 Jan 2017, 1:16 pm

Gotta admit I am sort into that look. However I'm trying to own kind of a different type/look of rifle every purchase; so one each that looks tactical, walnut, synthetic, laminate etc..
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Jan 2017, 7:55 pm

I like the look of this style of gun, just not practical for what I do unfortunately.
The Lucky 13 Wildcard series Tikka's are very nice also, and if you already have a Tikka T3/T3X you can buy the chassis, stock etc and bolt it on. I think I read they are working on the same system for the Howa's also.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 9:29 am

Hi All,

Super newbie here so please be nice :) Actually first post!

I'm also very new to shooting. (Just joined a club and applied for firearms license in Australia)

I was seriously considering this firearm as my first firearm to learn on and eventually compete in a few competitions.

There are a few things I was hoping to get out of this sport including meeting new people and making new friends. I'm a little concerned with this thread as I fear if I was to choose this firearm people may jump to conclusions seeing a newbie with this gun without getting to know me first.

Is this a general feel towards all Tactical stocks? I've been shooting a few times with wood stock .308's and would like to get a nice one in the future as I really like the look of them! However for the first time in Sweden I went shooting with a Tactical stock and whilst they look menacing it felt a lot more secure and safer to hold and shoot. Its actually given me the confidence to consider taking the sport further.

My thoughts on selecting this firearm were as follows:
1. For someone with no accessories yet this is well priced with all the accessories you get, bipod, muzzle break, carry case etc...
2. I like the idea of the safety
3. Like the Tac feel (as above)
4. Muzzle break would be good for learning and can remove for competition
5. Seems like a good all round .308
6. Good all rounder for long range precision, Benchrest, Field Rifle & 3 Positional
7. I really enjoyed firing a Tikka previously and have also fired a few Beretta in USA and Sako in Sweden.

A possible alternative setup could be:
1. Tikka T3x Varmint caliber 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 or 7mm rem mag.
2. Muzzle brake
3. Scope Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 FFP (if i can find a good 2nd hand) -- Colleague may sell me his :)
4. TAC21 stock.

What are your thoughts on this alternate setup or would I have the same issue with the Tac stock.

Thanks for your help!
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 15 Apr 2017, 1:49 pm

Buy the gun you like. Don't worry about old blokes rubbishing new things. It's been going on since time began. Guns use timber because it's what they had available when they were invented. If they had the knowledge and machinery they would have bought out alloy chassis rifles 100's of years ago.

If you like tactical looking guns , get one.
If you like timber guns , get one.

I like all guns , doesn't matter what it's made of.

New people into the sport is always a good thing.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

I'd be weary about buying any firearm that looks military looking as I've been reading recently where people have been receiving letters to either surrender them or sell them to gunshops.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

I'd be weary about buying any firearm that looks military looking as I've been reading recently where people have been receiving letters to either surrender them or sell them to gunshops.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Hi All,

Super newbie here so please be nice :) Actually first post!

I'm also very new to shooting. (Just joined a club and applied for firearms license in Australia)

I was seriously considering this firearm as my first firearm to learn on and eventually compete in a few competitions.

There are a few things I was hoping to get out of this sport including meeting new people and making new friends. I'm a little concerned with this thread as I fear if I was to choose this firearm people may jump to conclusions seeing a newbie with this gun without getting to know me first.

Is this a general feel towards all Tactical stocks? I've been shooting a few times with wood stock .308's and would like to get a nice one in the future as I really like the look of them! However for the first time in Sweden I went shooting with a Tactical stock and whilst they look menacing it felt a lot more secure and safer to hold and shoot. Its actually given me the confidence to consider taking the sport further.

My thoughts on selecting this firearm were as follows:
1. For someone with no accessories yet this is well priced with all the accessories you get, bipod, muzzle break, carry case etc...
2. I like the idea of the safety
3. Like the Tac feel (as above)
4. Muzzle break would be good for learning and can remove for competition
5. Seems like a good all round .308
6. Good all rounder for long range precision, Benchrest, Field Rifle & 3 Positional
7. I really enjoyed firing a Tikka previously and have also fired a few Beretta in USA and Sako in Sweden.

A possible alternative setup could be:
1. Tikka T3x Varmint caliber 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 or 7mm rem mag.
2. Muzzle brake
3. Scope Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 FFP (if i can find a good 2nd hand) -- Colleague may sell me his :)
4. TAC21 stock.

What are your thoughts on this alternate setup or would I have the same issue with the Tac stock.

Thanks for your help!

It's your money to spend on whatever gives you the most bang for your buck, what the next guy thinks is purely his problem, not yours.
Although I've always preferred pistol grips, I couldn't see any real return on the expense of an aluminium chassis, I figured they were purely an aesthetic choice, although a useful way to replace OEM rotary mags with 10-rd box mags. Until I tried one for myself. Now I've spent over $4000 putting all my Rugers into aluminium chassis, and I'm working on building some from scratch for my other rifles.
I wouldn't bother with the FFP reticle, especially if you want to shoot longer ranges.
I also wouldn't bother with the muzzle brake unless you go with the 7mm RemMag.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 4:38 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I will go with what I like and not worry too much about what others think :)

bigfellascott wrote:I'd be weary about buying any firearm that looks military looking as I've been reading recently where people have been receiving letters to either surrender them or sell them to gunshops.

Really?? Thats just odd. It's like saying someone is not allowed due to how they look... Surely if its legal to purchase with the current laws then there should be no need to surrender it.

The Tac chassis is practical too. After firing a heap of rounds I touched the top of the barrel near the scope and it was really hot (noob i know) so the extra protection is useful. Not to mention the rail etc.

bladeracer wrote: ... I wouldn't bother with the FFP reticle, especially if you want to shoot longer ranges.

Thanks for the tips. Any scope you would recommend that is good for a learner but I could push out to maybe 300m-500m as i get more experienced?
.308 is my preference so maybe I wont bother with the break but i've read its good while new to help get used to the kick slowly.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 4:58 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Really?? Thats just odd. It's like saying someone is not allowed due to how they look... Surely if its legal to purchase with the current laws then there should be no need to surrender it.

bladeracer wrote: ... I wouldn't bother with the FFP reticle, especially if you want to shoot longer ranges.

Thanks for the tips. Any scope you would recommend that is good for a learner but I could push out to maybe 300m-500m as i get more experienced?
.308 is my preference so maybe I wont bother with the break but i've read its good while new to help get used to the kick slowly.

Looking "military" is one of the problems the gun control fairies have, and it helps them a lot as they have very few legitimate reasons they can put forward.

If you're going to spend $3000-3500 just on the rifle you're probably going to be wanting a scope in a price range that is way outside what I'd be interested in. Maybe some of the top-end target scopes or bottom end March's.

I suppose if you are fairly new to shooting you might be a little recoil sensitive. I'd use lighter bullets or simply shoot lighter loads and work up to heavier loads. I'm not a fan of brakes, especially on a range or when shooting around other people, or even for most hunting. So I can't see much value in learning to shoot with a brake unless it's a cartridge that really needs taming. A couple weeks ago my brother and I were shooting our Ruger American .243 Predators side-by-side, his still original, mine in the MDT chassis. I wasn't taking particular note but I reckon the chassis made the recoil less noticeable. We had eight factory Winchester rounds that my brother found in a box from 1983. Don't know what the bullets were, but they had a lot of recoil alongside the new Federal 75gn HP factory ammo he brought with him, very noticeable.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 7:49 pm

Very good tip with the lighter bullets I'll research into this.

I would like to understand why the muzzle breaks are bad when shooting around other people (I don't want to be rude!). I've never used one before but I have fired 3 rounds with a silencer and it was excellent. I'm hoping its a similar effect (i know they're not the same of course).

with regards to the scope I'm actually not planning to spend more than $500 for my first scope if I can avoid it because im 99% sure I'll choose the wrong one and end up selling it in 6 months. This way I can get confident with one I think I would like and if I still do 6 months I can upgrade and get a better one, if not I will have hopefully found what I do like. So... Any suggestions you have would be awesome. Actually I would like to re-use the cheaper scope on a .22 I get in the future so I'm really not sure what to get at all.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 7:59 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Very good tip with the lighter bullets I'll research into this.

I would like to understand why the muzzle breaks are bad when shooting around other people (I don't want to be rude!). I've never used one before but I have fired 3 rounds with a silencer and it was excellent. I'm hoping its a similar effect (i know they're not the same of course).

with regards to the scope I'm actually not planning to spend more than $500 for my first scope if I can avoid it because im 99% sure I'll choose the wrong one and end up selling it in 6 months. This way I can get confident with one I think I would like and if I still do 6 months I can upgrade and get a better one, if not I will have hopefully found what I do like. So... Any suggestions you have would be awesome. Actually I would like to re-use the cheaper scope on a .22 I get in the future so I'm really not sure what to get at all.

Brakes and suppressors do different jobs. The suppressor grabs the gas cloud and lets it cool and slow down before releasing it to atmosphere, thus reducing the sound. A brake directs the gas cloud to the sides and upwards to reduce some of the felt recoil. It's fine for the shooter but not so much for anybody else in the vicinity.

If you want to use a scope on a .22 then you'll need one that will focus down to very close ranges. The Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40's that I use allow me to read normal text at 10m which is pretty close for a centrefire scope.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 8:01 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will go with what I like and not worry too much about what others think :)

bigfellascott wrote:I'd be weary about buying any firearm that looks military looking as I've been reading recently where people have been receiving letters to either surrender them or sell them to gunshops.

Really?? Thats just odd. It's like saying someone is not allowed due to how they look... Surely if its legal to purchase with the current laws then there should be no need to surrender it.

The Tac chassis is practical too. After firing a heap of rounds I touched the top of the barrel near the scope and it was really hot (noob i know) so the extra protection is useful. Not to mention the rail etc.

Yep they are applying that "Military Look" clause in the act from what I've been reading - I certainly wouldn't bother buying one, may well loose quite a few $$ if you aren't careful.

There's also been a heap of blokes get caught out with some device which you put on the end of your barrel to catch the dirty patches, turns out that is somehow illegal to do and they have been raided and lost firearms and licenses because of it (stupid I know) but you have to be careful what you do when it comes to firearms etc, they are just waiting to ping us for anything and everything, just like the blitzs they were conduction out in the central west over easter (pulling over vehicles that looked like hunting vehicles and searching them in the hope they find something amiss (they seem to run them regularly out here and always get quite a few who are doing the wrong thing. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yep they are applying that "Military Look" clause in the act from what I've been reading - I certainly wouldn't bother buying one, may well loose quite a few $$ if you aren't careful.

There's also been a heap of blokes get caught out with some device which you put on the end of your barrel to catch the dirty patches, turns out that is somehow illegal to do and they have been raided and lost firearms and licenses because of it (stupid I know) but you have to be careful what you do when it comes to firearms etc, they are just waiting to ping us for anything and everything, just like the blitzs they were conduction out in the central west over easter (pulling over vehicles that looked like hunting vehicles and searching them in the hope they find something amiss (they seem to run them regularly out here and always get quite a few who are doing the wrong thing. :unknown:

If a firearm is licenced as is I can't see how they can claim it is now illegal if the rules haven't changed. If they aren't happy about the Firearms Registry allowing us to own something then they need to take it up with the Registry, it's nothing to do with the owner.
On the other hand, if they actually re-write the rules then there might be a problem. But my understanding of Australian law is anything that makes something illegal that is currently legal requires fair and just compensation be paid to lawful owners.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Yep they are applying that "Military Look" clause in the act from what I've been reading - I certainly wouldn't bother buying one, may well loose quite a few $$ if you aren't careful.

Holy s**t, really? What state is in?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 8:15 pm

Gun-nut wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Holy s**t, really? What state is in?

For the Military Look it was W.A. and Tassie from memory - no doubt coming to a state near you sooner or later and for the patch catcher thing I think that was pretty much Aus Wide but not 100% sure as I didn't take much notice of it to be honest, I think that one came from a Firearms Lawyer warning people who have these things to be aware of what's started happening.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yep they are applying that "Military Look" clause in the act from what I've been reading - I certainly wouldn't bother buying one, may well loose quite a few $$ if you aren't careful.

If a firearm is licenced as is I can't see how they can claim it is now illegal if the rules haven't changed. If they aren't happy about the Firearms Registry allowing us to own something then they need to take it up with the Registry, it's nothing to do with the owner.
On the other hand, if they actually re-write the rules then there might be a problem. But my understanding of Australian law is anything that makes something illegal that is currently legal requires fair and just compensation be paid to lawful owners.

It's already in law, they just haven't been enforcing it and no they don't have to pay compensation, just like the Adler you can hand them in or get the mod done to make them legal, apparently people have been getting letters telling them to hand them in or sell them to Firearms Dealers or face legal action.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 8:27 pm

bigfellascott wrote:It's already in law, they just haven't been enforcing it and no they don't have to pay compensation, just like the Adler you can hand them in or get the mod done to make them legal, apparently people have been getting letters telling them to hand them in or sell them to Firearms Dealers or face legal action.

It would be more than simply non-enforcement since they are the people that register our firearms as being legal. Non-enforcement would be a different matter as that would come down to us being non-compliant by our own choice. If your firearm is registered by the enforcement agency as being legal I don't see how it can become your problem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 8:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:...just like the Adler you can hand them in or get the mod done to make them legal, apparently people have been getting letters telling them to hand them in or sell them to Firearms Dealers or face legal action.

I haven't seen anything requiring owners of Adlers to hand them in or sell them.
I think I saw something that prevented legal owners from selling them to anybody other than a dealer though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

whoa! I feel for the people getting their guns taken.

I understand they would know you have this from the registry but, how would they know if you'd bought a different gun and changed it to a military looking stock?

I assume you could change the stock on this gun and it would be OK again.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

What would happen if I got the stock powder coated a bright orange colour? Then it wouldn't look military...
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

Yipikaye wrote:whoa! I feel for the people getting their guns taken.

I understand they would know you have this from the registry but, how would they know if you'd bought a different gun and changed it to a military looking stock?

I assume you could change the stock on this gun and it would be OK again.

I know in Qld an M4 collapsible stock is apparently illegal to own, whether it is attached to a firearm or not. I saw something recently about a guy that was charged for importing one without import permits in place.
In NSW firearms are specifically listed as prohibited firearms if they have any kind of folding, telescoping or swiveling stock, but I don't know if merely owning such a thing is illegal there.
In Victoria any stock is perfectly legal provided the firearms conform to our minimum length requirements - far more sensible.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles