Trip to Australia

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Trip to Australia

Post by swiss_gunner » 24 Jan 2017, 8:47 am

Hi

I am a collector (mainly rifles and MG's) and avid shooter in Switzerland. We do a long trip thru Australia (South Australia, Northern Territory, Western Australia) this March and April. It's my first time in Australia and I would like to see the shooting Australia too.
I am searching for some relaxed places to shoot. To see the Australian way of shooting. Can you give me hints for some good places were I can shoot? (just some nice places to shoot especially outdoor) I am wondering are you allowed to shoot on private property or public land wherever and whenever you like? This is something we can not do here.....not enough space in Switzerland.
What are must sees in relation to shooting in Australia?

Any suggestions are appreciated, I will see if we can made it there during our stay in Australia.

Thanks and greets from the other side.
swiss_gunner
swiss_gunner
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: Trip to Australia

Post by Gwion » 24 Jan 2017, 9:11 am

Hi Gunner. I am not from those states but I do know of a range called Lower Light in South Aus.
http://www.longrangeshooting.com.au/lower-light.html

All states have different laws regarding shooting on public and private land. I'll let others from those states fill you in with those details.

Have a great trip and welcome to the forum.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2017, 9:43 am

swiss_gunner wrote:Hi

I am a collector (mainly rifles and MG's) and avid shooter in Switzerland. We do a long trip thru Australia (South Australia, Northern Territory, Western Australia) this March and April. It's my first time in Australia and I would like to see the shooting Australia too.
I am searching for some relaxed places to shoot. To see the Australian way of shooting. Can you give me hints for some good places were I can shoot? (just some nice places to shoot especially outdoor) I am wondering are you allowed to shoot on private property or public land wherever and whenever you like? This is something we can not do here.....not enough space in Switzerland.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I will see if we can made it there during our stay in Australia.

swiss_gunner

I think WA, NT and SA are all restricted to private property only (I think there is a tiny area of public land near Darwin but I don't know what the rules or shooting is like there). You would need to try to find some contacts beforehand to line up some shooting. WA is the only state that will allow you to shoot without a firearms licence under direct supervision of a licenced shooter. Other states should recognise your foreign firearms licence I think, but you probably need to do paperwork beforehand.
If you wish to hunt on public land you'll have to come down to Victoria and NSW, and possibly Tasmania I think.

I can't think of anything I'd consider "must see" exactly, maybe the sambar and reds but you probably have equally magnificent animals in your own areas.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hooper22 » 24 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

Make contact with these guys. They can probably organize something.

http://southernshooters.com.au
Hooper22
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 24 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

there are plenty of mobs that will organise guided hunts for pigs and buff etc in the northern territory. not sure about the time of year or how you will go with such short notice.

but if you have heaps of cash to spend on shooting stuff, give them a call
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 25 Jan 2017, 1:02 am

swiss_gunner,

Firstly welcome to the forum :thumbsup: :drinks:

Check out the following links,

Pig Hunting Permit for crown land NT

https://nt.gov.au/leisure/hunting-and-s ... crown-land

Available from,
Department of Lands Planning and the Environment NT.
I am not aware of the situation with regards to overseas visitors although I expect that interstate firearms license holders would be accommodated with regards to obtaining such permit, and would think it reasonably likely that provisions are made for intercontinental visitors also … I would suggest contacting them in that regard..

Its generally pretty lay back in the Territory and I would be somewhat surprised if they refused to accommodate you if you pay the $ 19(from memory) for the crown land permit.

Parks and Wildlife Commission NT is another that I would make inquiries with in similar regard.

Depending on what you wish to hunt there are several locations around Darwin for hunting pigs and waterfowl although requirements for each location vary and hunting waterfowl will require additional permit etc..

Considering the likely limited time you may have on such a trip in each location, I would strongly suggest/ highly recommend you look into NT hunting safari’s on offer and guided safaris in other jurisdictions also for that matter.. Not only will such providers be best able to present the most likely hunting success rates, but they will be able to offer access to private land that will expand the species you may take (camels for example). Some may even offer “free hunting options on such land” If you are resistant to the concept of a guided hunt..

Hope I have offer you some use... but hey I must warn I’ve had about 12 Beers and 6 Jim Beam Devils Cut bourbons and I’m starting to stagger when I attempt to walk, but hopefully my drunken a$$ info helps you to an acceptable degree … Well, that at least was my intention…… :thumbsup:

By the way, we all love to shoot.... But fishing is also very good in the NT and quite good in other places you mentioned also... :thumbsup:.. No fishing license required in NT and No boat driving license required either , however the same doesn't apply in all jurisdictions within the country.... (crazy I know) :wtf:

Hey feel free to let me know when you will be in NT, if In NT at time I may be able to help !

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by swiss_gunner » 25 Jan 2017, 6:38 am

Thanks for all the answers!
Just to say, I am not looking necessarily for hunting. Especially not for guided tours, I don't think thats what I like. Just looking for some shooting outdoors. Here shooting is only in shooting ranges allowed.

Darwindingo for that level of alcohol your writing is pretty good. I was thinking to adjust to the same level before answering for easier communication :D but I am not sure about my English with that level.......thanks for your offer for help. I think if there is enough time. we will take the chance and yes we hope to do some fishing too.

Thanks
swiss_gunner
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 3:20 am

bladeracer wrote:
swiss_gunner wrote:Hi

swiss_gunner

I think WA, NT and SA are all restricted to private property only (I think there is a tiny area of public land near Darwin but I don't know what the rules or shooting is like there). You would need to try to find some contacts beforehand to line up some shooting. WA is the only state that will allow you to shoot without a firearms licence under direct supervision of a licenced shooter. Other states should recognise your foreign firearms licence I think, but you probably need to do paperwork beforehand.
If you wish to hunt on public land you'll have to come down to Victoria and NSW, and possibly Tasmania I think.

I can't think of anything I'd consider "must see" exactly, maybe the sambar and reds but you probably have equally magnificent animals in your own areas.

Just out of curiosity, how would they handle somebody from the US where most states don't offer firearms licenses?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2017, 8:24 am

Title_II wrote:Just out of curiosity, how would they handle somebody from the US where most states don't offer firearms licenses?

This is just for Qld but every state has something similar I'm sure.

"Visitor's Licence Application

To apply for a visitor's licence in Queensland you must complete the A​pplication for Visitors Licence and provide the following information:

A copy of a current licence, permit or authority issued under the law of that country or territory. Note that:
(a) The licence, permit or authority must remain current for entire duration of
visit to Queensland
(b) If no licence, permit or authority is issued in your country, a letter from your
local police authorities outlining whether you are a fit and proper person to
possess firearms is to be attached
Details of itinerary and locations to be visited whilst in Queensland (include contact address and phone numbers)
Details of security and storage arrangements for firearms and ammunition whilst in Queensland
Details of any firearm spare parts and all types, calibre and amounts of ammunition that is being brought into Queensland
A genuine reason for visiting Queensland. This can be either or the following:
Competition target shooting: Supply a letter from the competition holder confirming your participation and the events you are participating in; or
Recreational shooting (hunting/safari): Supply a letter from the property owner/occupier giving you permission to shoot on their land, including details of property size and address. "

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/travel/visitorslicence.htm
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 8:30 am

Oh yeah, my cops love me ;)

OK, thanks mate :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Browning » 26 Jan 2017, 4:45 pm

If you were coming to Qld I'd take you for a shoot free of charge on private property...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by swiss_gunner » 26 Jan 2017, 6:44 pm

Thanks for the invitations! I would love to come but sadly we not gonna make it to Qld and Vic.
swiss_gunner
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles