First firearm or firearms?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: First firearm or firearms?

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

Yeah, i agree about AO but the turret parallax adjustment is so much quicker and simpler. Just set it for the middle of the usual range you shoot at (say, 150m for a 223rem) and leave it there while hunting. Being able to dial it right back to 10m quickly when something pops up right in front of you is very handy. Lost count of the times i had to let critters (pest control) get away because they were just too close to see through my fixed parallax scope. Anyway, there are pros and cons to having a parallax adjustment, or not having one, depending on the situation.I wouldn't by another AO scope (too fiddly, cant adjust it easily from shooting position) but would by one with a parallax dial turret.

At any rate. If the OP goes for the diamondback he shouldn't have too much issue in low light.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

I take it you mean side focus? Yeah it's a little easier but still something else to fiddle with rather than the animal too shoot. I generally do as you suggest and just leave it set on 100m myself as most scopes are set for that.

After using high mag scopes and lower mag scopes I definitely find the lower mag more user friendly, wider field of view often less detectable movement whilst looking through the scope and handier for the close in stuff and generally better in low light conditions.

Another brand worth a look is the meopta range - plenty of good reviews and happy owners.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 2:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I take it you mean side focus? Yeah it's a little easier but still something else to fiddle with rather than the animal too shoot. I generally do as you suggest and just leave it set on 100m myself as most scopes are set for that.

After using high mag scopes and lower mag scopes I definitely find the lower mag more user friendly, wider field of view often less detectable movement whilst looking through the scope and handier for the close in stuff and generally better in low light conditions.

Another brand worth a look is the meopta range - plenty of good reviews and happy owners.

Yep. Side focus.

My scopes are usually left set at around 6X and only dial out or back if i absolutely need to or if i'm shooting targets for load or ammo testing or sighting in.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles