Anyone been dudded on a second hand gun buy?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Anyone been dudded on a second hand gun buy?

Post by padaro » 25 Jan 2017, 9:18 am

Looking at buying my first second-hand gun.

I will buy locally so can see it before money changes hand but just got me wondering, anyone bought a used gun interstate and had it turn up to be way rougher than described?
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Anyone been dudded on a second hand gun buy?

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:25 am

Yeah I've bought a 2nd hand dud before - such is life, sold it on.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Jan 2017, 9:31 am

Yes it does happen. It comes down to what each persons idea of "condition" is. A gun that one bloke calls "good" may well be described as "poor" by another. There are some published guidelines on gun descriptions, SSAA has some, but unless quoted by the seller, it comes back to personal perception.
I've personally purchased a couple of guns that were less than described, luckily, they were cheap and one was able to be resurrected to a good usable gun and the other became a good parts donor.
My advice, if buying sight unseen, would be to get very detailed photos or get the gun taken to a gun-shop/dealer for appraisal.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Octane » 25 Jan 2017, 10:22 am

Anything second hand I always approach as being 10% worse than they claim.

Works out to be about right when I see it ;)
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jan 2017, 10:32 am

Unless a rifle is rare or somehow special, I see no point in buying unseen from interstate. Always endeavour to have a look before purchase. If you a buying sight unseen then the ol "caveat emptor" applies.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 25 Jan 2017, 11:46 am

see if you can go to the gun range with the person and shoot it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 25 Jan 2017, 2:51 pm

no as their like cars no test fire no buy , would you buy a car without a test drive
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

deye243 wrote:no as their like cars no test fire no buy , would you buy a car without a test drive

Where can you test fire a rifle new or used before purchase in this country? Used maybe but definitely no try before you buy on new firearms. Advice to the OP, the seller has to use a dealer to do the transfer paperwork so ask the dealer to provide a statement of condition. Offer to split the cost with the seller and ask for pictures. I got bitten on the a$$ on a "New" rifle by a major S.E QLD dealer so I'm doubly cautious even when purchasing new.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 25 Jan 2017, 6:02 pm

I've bought 5 off the various used gun website. All were (at the least) 2nd hand, three are over a hundred years old (one being 145), four came from interstate and ALL have been awesome competition winners. I guess I've had a pretty good run!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 25 Jan 2017, 6:39 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 02 Mar 2017, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by 6mmdasher » 25 Jan 2017, 8:18 pm

I have bought a couple that were worse in the barrel department than I would have liked but luckily I can fit my own barrels so I have made them into really nice shooters. One of our club members have bought some very nice looking rifles but when you look up the barrel you see what a mess is up there! fire cracked and badly copper fouled. What I really think is a laugh is when the add says" lots of rifling left in the barrel" Seems to be said when it comes to 303"s and military rifles!
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm

Yes,,

The description was accurate,
The condition was accurate,

BUT,,,,

The seller simply did not send the Optilok rings and bases, that were advertised to be part of the deal.

The seller was one of Tasco Australia's marketing managers.

In the end, he refused to answer his phone or return sms messages.
I believe that Mr Karma caught up with him though.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:
deye243 wrote:no as their like cars no test fire no buy , would you buy a car without a test drive

Where can you test fire a rifle new or used before purchase in this country? Used maybe but definitely no try before you buy on new firearms. Advice to the OP, the seller has to use a dealer to do the transfer paperwork so ask the dealer to provide a statement of condition. Offer to split the cost with the seller and ask for pictures. I got bitten on the a$$ on a "New" rifle by a major S.E QLD dealer so I'm doubly cautious even when purchasing new.

I have never bought a second hand rifle without a test fire , I just asked the lgs and both said yep guess it pays to be known to be trust worthy

EDIT I am talking second hand rifles too
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 26 Jan 2017, 2:03 am

some guns the only way to get them are used and i have a good number of them i have a model 88 winchester the stock was cut down i got a great deal on it and replaced the stock.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Jan 2017, 9:18 am

When your interest is old "obsolete" guns, you don't have any choice but to buy second-hand. Out of a couple of dozen rifles I have bought I have only gotten two duds.
As stated previously, one was able to be resurrected to be a competition winner and the other was worth its' purchase price in parts. As with anything second-hand, you take a risk that the seller may not be as honest as you would like to think they are.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles